Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib

Just curious how long would it take to smoke a prime rib in a WSM 22.5 ? plus any ideas on how to do it? any help would be helpful thank you

That depends on the size of the roast and the temp you cook at. We need more details.

Comment

To add to Pit Boss, I would not put any wood, just what the charcoal gives with respect to flavor.

Comment

I figure a small one like 6lbs if I can get one that small thank you for any help

Comment

When you ask how long, I am guessing you do not have Meat Probes for temperature if you do not have one I would not attempt an expensive cut of meat based on time. Disregard if you do.

Comment

Start here: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/...rib_roast.html

Following this guide got me a nearly perfect prime rib on the first try. Use a thermometer to tell when it's done, but to estimating timing, From the guide:

Cooking time. In order to reach medium rare, 130 to 135°F, in the deepest part of a roast, if it is boneless and hovering above a pan with liquid in it, if cooking starts with the meat at refrigerator temp of about 38°F, if air temp at the level of the meat is 225 to 250°F, estimate about 30 minutes per inch in diameter plus 20 minutes to sear at the end of the cook, about 5 minutes on each of the four sides. That means for a 4" thick roast, cooking should take about 2 hours of indirect cooking, plus about 20 minutes searing over direct heat.

Comment

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed. I use a Mav, but generally allow 2 - 3 hours for a roast when set up for 2 zone on the grill, a bit longer when in the smoker at 250 give or take.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis