Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attention indy area pit brothers and sisters!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attention indy area pit brothers and sisters!!!!!!

So...... Next week, I have a second interview for a promotion that would relocate me to Indianapolis. I am very excited at the prospect, but know that I have very tough competition.

That said, I am looking for opinions and thoughts from people that I trust (Pit Members) on the area.

Most of my work will be at IND Airport. IF I were to live to the NE of the city, (I’ve been focusing my search to the west and south) realistically, how long would the commute be? Keep in mind, I currently live in Houston and living 2 miles from the airport could potentially mean a 35 minute commute. Lol.

I have 3 kids now, so schools are an important factor. Are there areas I should avoid?

Thank you all in advance for your thoughts. I may be a little “cart before horse” here, but, if I do well in the second interview and get an offer, I’d like to have some type information to assist in my decision.

That would be the worst possible commute. Coming in off of 69 onto 465 is a complete rat race and then you still have to either get all the way around the loop or cut through the center of Indy on 70.... not to mention doing it again when you get off.

What kind of community, atmosphere, etc... are you looking for?

Personally I would be looking at Avon, Mooresville, Plainfield area.
    Last edited by Nate; May 15, 2020, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Good luck on your interview. If you get it definitely hop back in here and ask again or PM me... hopefully a few other Hoosiers will jump in with their thoughts.

• RickyBobby
      RickyBobby commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks brother. I am my own worst critic. The way I see it, if I had crushed the initial interview, there would be no need for a second. So I am a bit miffed. That said, I am more motivated to destroy the 2nd interview to get the Job!

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Never been to Indy, but don't forget you need to be near a good butcher too.

I live in Indy too, but realistically, I live in the county north of Indy called Hamilton County. I live far extreme northeast Inday in Fishers.If you're going to work at the airport, Nate's advice is spot on. Avon, Plainfield, Brownsburg, Hendricks County is where you need to be looking. Keep us informed of your move! Let's get together and have good food.

Brian
    Last edited by mrteddyprincess; May 16, 2020, 08:55 PM.

Comment

• DiverDriver
      DiverDriver commented
      Editing a comment
      My son live in Brownsburg and it is a really nice area..... but growing quite a bit.

I don't live in Indy but have traveled to and through it numerous times. You definitely wan' t to stay to the south or southwest of Indy. There are some beautiful old towns south of Indy if your interested in that and new towns all around the city. The guys above have given you there knowledge as living there.

Comment

You'd be only a little over 5hrs from me. I have no info, just wanted to say congrats! Buy lots of warm clothes. It might not be quite as wintry as MI is Oct/Nov-March/April, but it'll probably still be a culture shock compared to living in south Tx. Bye bye palm trees.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, sorta my home turf. I never knew that. Well, welcome back (possibly sorta)! RickyBobby

• RickyBobby
        RickyBobby commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Huskee ! Fingers are crossed!

• mrteddyprincess
        mrteddyprincess commented
        Editing a comment
        I cook 365 days a year. Not literally, but I cook year 'round and the weather isn't a factor. :-)

I live 3 hours south of Indy, but been there lots. Stay out of the city, crime is horrendous. inside of 465 is not so good. And for your children small towns as Nate recommended wood be much better. Moving from TX will be a great weather adjustment. Cold From Thanksgiving to end of March. Budget long underware for everyone. At least for the first year. You will adjust to the weather just takes time.

Comment

• RickyBobby
        RickyBobby commented
        Editing a comment
        Much appreciated, sir! Yeah, I’m looking to be out away from the city. Ideally, although not possible financially, I would have 5-10 acres and no HOA. LOL.

Congrats! I grew up on the west side of Indy and live about 45 minutes northwest of Indy now.

I would recommend looking at the Hendricks County area, Plainfield, Avon. and Brownsburg all have excellent schools and offer up about anything you could find on the North East side except IKEA.

Comment

• RickyBobby
        RickyBobby commented
        Editing a comment
        Appreciate the advice greatly, sir! I see a running theme from you and your fellow Hoosiers. Assume no I actually GET the job, I will have a lot to consider. I’m thankful to have the Pit to lean on for advice!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    Rubs Promo
    Meat-Up in Memphis