Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carpenter Bees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carpenter Bees

With all us here being cooks, many growing their own garden, and some even keeping bees...we recognize the importance of bees. But carpenter bees? They are just destructive pains in the butt. Every year my neighbors garden shed becomes infested with carpenter bees, she is old and i dont think she uses it. But its right next to my fence and they zoom around our yard and try to do our garden shed as well. As much as i loath killing bees, i do when it comes to them on my property.

Im at the stage this year though, of spraying over the fence onto her shed. Is that totally wrong? I have asked her about taking care of it and its not that she refuses to do anything about it, she just doesnt.

Is that totally wrong? I use talstar pro which when dry is pet and people safe.

And here I thought by the title the little buggers we’re goin to build somethin. Well, do they? Or are they just a big nuisance? I think it’s probably somethin HawkerXP should look into.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Google just told me their carpentry is limited to drilling holes in wood.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack is correct. I use a badminton racket to send them on there way.

We use Delta Dust which is a powder, but listed for use in food areas. Spray a little dust into their burrows, and even if not occupied it will take care of them when they return. You should plug the holes once they are dead.

Another good solution we use that is entirely safe is a mixture of soap solution (we use cheap car wash soap) and a little water in a hand sprayer. It will actually knock out a flying wasp. Apparently the soap dries out their carpace almost immediately on contact. If sprayed across the fence you are just spraying soap and water which dries quickly and destroys any evidence, not that I am suggesting that.🙂

https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Dust-Mu.../dp/B002Y6B4A8
    https://diypestcontrolguide.com/homemade-wasp-killer/

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      i like the soap idea...never heard that before

get a bad-mitten racquet and get yer game on!
    Last edited by smokenoob; May 14, 2020, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Those things scared the crap out of me when I was around my dad's sheep shearing tables growing up. They had 100 holes if they had one.

Comment

They can do some serious damage over time. Don't let them get established on your side of the fence. I use serious stuff. Sevin sprayed in there holes.

Comment

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          Every year i knock them down on my side before they get set up and then the next year...same exact spot in my neighbors yard there they are again

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep unless you take care of your neighbors they will over winter in there burrows.

I made a couple of traps using 4x4 lumber and a canning jar. That, combined with the insecticide foam sprayed in their holes and filled in with caulking afterwards has kept them under control around my deck. I think you can also buy the traps, maybe on Amazon.

Or, like smokenoob mentioned, get a badminton racket and work on your forehand. 😀 The good news is the males (yellow band on upper body) that act so aggressive, don't even have stingers. So swat away!

Comment

I have the same problem with a neighbours shed except its mice.
        I've shoved enough of the mouse bait poison under that shed to kill a Rhino
        Too bad the mice seem to thrive on it....go figure

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, there's really not much else you can do when it's somebody else's shed. I had to pull everything out of mine, sweep it out thoroughly and block the obvious entry point with a small piece of SS sheet metal that came with my PartyQ (some type of adapter for BGE or WSM, I think). I'm hoping that works, but so far, so good.

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          THE Humble Texan I have shares in Tom Cat bait stations have more than a dozen jammed under my fence.
          I'd love to go with good old fashioned death and destruction with spring traps but with our Husky always in the back yard I know she'd never leave the traps alone especially with peanut butter

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          fill entry holes with steel wool, if you have a pet you don't want eating poisoned dead rodents (like we do) I really had great success with the Victor multi-kill electric trap. Dogs can't get to the bait and dead mice get zapped and fall through a trap door into a drawer which makes the dead mice easy to dispose of.

I also use the carpenter bee spray with a nozzle, make sure to bend the nozzle vertically up in the hole and release spray. I now have about 20 vacant bee homes in my fence. My last house had cedar siding, they love cedar. I think cedar translated in Bee is Wagyu

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          I learned that you have to fill those vacant bee homes in with wood filler or caulking, or a new one will move in. The traps work because of that behavior.

• smokenoob
          smokenoob commented
          Editing a comment
          OK, will get some corks with “condemned” printed on them

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          HVAC suppliers sell industrial bee and wasp aerosol spray cans.
          Will shoot a stream death, with accuracy into the eaves two floors up.
          Great for people who are allergic or scared of bees/wasps.
          Good stuff, one whiff of it while spraying darn near takes me down

I live in the middle of the forest and I've got them lovely round flying balls. But even though they are a nuisance, the next rung up the ladder is worse. The Pileated woodpecker just loves them. It hears the larvae scritching around in the hole hollowed out by the mommy and goes after them with a bill that's more damaging than a hydraulic jackhammer. It'll indiscriminately rip through a 2x 6 in minutes flat. They got their snack and I've got a deck board to replace. I've got bee traps hanging all along the deck and they work and so does Delta Dust. But a couple of years ago, I found Cyzmic CS. Its a controlled release broad spectrum insecticide. I spray all of my deck railings monthly from May to September. I'm sure it will kill them but I've watched the bees fly all along the deck and never light. (It is visually murder on the CameI crickets that nest in the crawl space.) haven;t found a burrow or had a woodpecker strike in over 2 years, so I'm a happy homeowner. And the wife has pots and boxes of flowers along the deck and it doesn't seem to impact any of the pollinators that visit, so I'm a happy hubby too. I try to peacefully coexist with my natural neighbors but when they start eating my house and causing major damage its time to do something about it.

Comment

I have a similar problem with a neighbor we call the mosquito rancher. He keeps old five gallon buckets behind his garage open side up so they collect water and breed mosquitoes. I drop BT into the buckets to kill the mosquito larvae. I'd like him to take care of the problem himself, but he won't. So I don't feel too bad taking things into my own hands. He's never outside except to cut his lawn and presumably to add buckets to his collection. So his irresponsibility is no problem for him. He's none the worse off, and I get to use my back yard. Is it a little shady? Yes, probably, but I don't much care. BT is harmless to anything but insect larvae and I don't spread it around willy-nilly.
          Last edited by TheQuietOne; May 16, 2020, 07:09 AM.

Comment

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            Good for you. BT is great stuff. We buy it in 20 and 40 lb buckets to control the marshes on our property.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis