Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baby Back Ribs vs Pork Back Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby Back Ribs vs Pork Back Ribs

What is the difference between baby back ribs and pork back ribs?

Are you talking loin back ribs compared to baby back ribs?

Around here they call a lot of ribs "baby" but they are really just back ribs due to their size. Click below for more info

Comment

from what i understand pork back has more meat but is the same cut.

Comment

Baby back ribs are smaller , a loin back is larger because it has a big chunk of loin left. It may even be called extra meaty
      Last edited by grantw; August 8, 2014, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Where I live they are the same. The word "Back" is the key. They are pork backs, loin backs, or baby backs (pet name, since they're thinner than spares & St Louis.)

I'm not in the hog butchering industry, but here they are all the same cut.

Comment

Just make sure you aren't buying "country" ribs. I hear they have a lot of fat and may not have bones. Jim

Comment

The only difference I see is the PBs requires more trimming then the BBs do and the PBs have more meat which is a good thing.

Comment

I do like to grill country ribs there just cheap pork chops.

Comment

Country style "ribs" aren't ribs at all - it's just pork shoulder or butt cut into strips. You can make your own cheaper by buying shoulder or but and cutting it yourself.

Comment

• boftx
                  boftx commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Be that as it may, they make for some damn fine eatin'. I dry-brine and season just like a pork butt, cook 'em at anywhere from 225 to 325 (ALWAYS indirect) without too much worry about a specific temp. I sauce/glaze when they hit 140 IT and take 'em off at 150 max. Hard to go wrong with that. Most if not all of the fat will still be on 'em, but that just adds a ton of flavor.

They cook pretty fast thanks to being relatively thin in cross-section.

Loin ribs are from "higher up" on the hog; the meat is less fatty and cooks faster. Spare ribs are lower down on the hog, longer and have more fat and take longer to cook. I prefer spares because I think they have more porky flavor.

Comment

Our local grocery store had pork ribs on sale this past weekend for $2.99 lb. They were labeled "Pork Loin Back Ribs". The only difference that I could see was they were thicker than baby backs and they had the meat on top then a fat cap and then more meat. So they had more fat and made it harder to eat, as you were getting a mouth full of fat. Ended eating with a fork and knife. Same taste and cooking time as baby backs.

Comment

I do both kinds. I like the back ribs for the texture, as they are more tender. Less effort and shorter cook, but the traditional or St. Louis cut ribs from the lower part have more meat, and more flavor. I tend to trim off excessive fat cap, and cut the connective end junk off, etc

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    Rubs Promo
                    Meat-Up in Memphis