Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quality of frozen steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quality of frozen steaks

Just a general query here...how much does freezing steaks reduce the quality vs fresh?
    I ask because our local Italian market has a special on USDA Prime Ribeye right now ($14.99/lb) and we've had them before, they taste great. Whenever they have this on sale (maybe once or twice a year), they sell out pretty fast.

The problem is I won't have a chance to grill them in the next few days, so my only option is to freeze them for later.
    My dilemma is, is it worth buying a bunch of these steaks and freezing them, will they still taste as good.
    The alternative is paying about the same (or a little more) for USDA Choice from the supermarket, but being able to grill them fresh.

Any advice?

Should be fine if vacuum sealed. Beef can take a few days in the refrigerator better than pig or poultry.
    Think wet/dry aging etc. Gotta make sure your temp is cold enough though.

Comment

They should be fine just get as much air out of the bag as possible. I use double, one gallon ziplocs. or as Ernest said, vacuum seal'em

Comment

I've found freezing to have negative effects on the connective tissue and the steaks aren't very good as a result. That being said, this is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Opinions are never wrong! They're subjective, and they're perfect for the person holding said opinion.

I've used frozen steaks plenty of times. As far as I know, all Omaha Steaks are frozen and vacuum sealed before being shipped.

Comment

It might not be as good as "fresh" steaks although when some stores receive them they are near frozen. That being said whenever we have beef or pork processed we have to have it frozen because we aren't going to eat it all in a few days. I have made plenty of tasty steaks that were once frozen. Just don't put them in the microwave on defrost to thaw them! I have also come across deals at the store and done just what you are talking about. I don't have an conventional vac seal but I do have a little handheld pump that was made for special zip lock freezer bags. They work pretty well. I usually do one of those and then seal them up in another regular freezer bag just to be safe.

Comment

There's a big difference between flash freezing and vacuum sealing by a slaughterhouse and buying a fresh steak and throwing it in your freezer. Meathead has an article on freezing beef and the best way to do it. Y'all should check it out.

Personally I'd buy the steak and freeze it per MH's recommended technique. It'll be very good. You may even end up freezing before you vacuum seal. It's an article worth checking out. I'm on my phone or I'd grab the link.

Comment

Pit Boss was this the one? At the bottom:
              http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ying_meat.html

Comment

Yep that's it! It's not obvious in that article but in his most recent comment advice he suggests chilling the meat, then freezing, then vacuum sealing. This reduces purge. If you vacuum seal unfrozen meat be careful not to let the sealer suck too hard on the meat or it'll extract a lot of moisture.

Comment

I've forwarded to Meathead so he can confirm.

Comment

• Meathead
                    Meathead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I confirm. Also, when freezing, try to place on a rack so there is airflow all around.

I like beef tenderloins (especially Hereford!). I buy the whole tenderloin, cut it as thick as I want, trim off the silver skin and vacuum seal. Optimum is fresh, but doing it this way cuts 1/3 cost off buying a tenderloin fresh. Plus, there's something satisfying about working with a primal cut.

Comment

I buy 15 - 20 Ribeye steaks every time they go on sale and as soon as I get home I get the FoodSaver out and in the freezer they go. When it's time to have a steak I will take it out of the freezer and in the the fridge it goes to thaw. I have grilled a fresh steak and a steak that has been frozen at the same time and could not tell the difference. both were tender and juicy.

Comment

IMHO, frozen or fresh isn't as important or affect the results as much as the quality of the beef itself. Omaha Steaks are pretty awful the few times I've had them at a friends home, but take really good Wagyu or prime and freeze it too, hugely superior. I find beef freezes very well but I'd never keep the meat in that form more than a year max. Even tenderloin from Sam's club is pretty darn good and freezes fine.

Comment

...On that note, what is the general consensus from those eating Omaha Steaks? Are they good steaks? I have had beef from Flannery, SRF, and Double R Ranch, and all were excellent.

Comment

Huskee, they are ok, nothing that special,IMHO. I don't buy them for myself and suggested others not send them to me. But it has also been years si de I've had them.

Comment

• David Parrish
                            David Parrish commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Rich I agree. It's been years but someone sent us a bunch of Omaha steaks when we had our first kid and the meat wasn't as good as what I get at Costco.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        Rubs Promo
                        Meat-Up in Memphis