Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lousy bird nested itself on one of my bbq cabinets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lousy bird nested itself on one of my bbq cabinets.

Yeah, right next to the knocked over WD-40 and some other cleaner thing. A bird built a nest there last year and I destroyed it, and Mrs Mosca got really mad at me, so I have to leave it this year.

Stupid damn bird. It looks perpetually pissed off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	692C0B19-BF77-4CD9-87F0-6DC89D17F417.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	840704

Something we just discovered when trying to rid my son’s car of an uninvited guest. Place a radio next to the nest and tune it to 24 hours talk radio. She might, as the squirrels did, voluntarily decide to move out on her own.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      This is brilliant!!!

I don't have one ruining BBQ's, but check this out. I live in an established suburb, neighbors within 100 yards in any direction. Here's a shot of my back yard.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200502_084946.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	840714
    Now, if you zoom in on the tree just in front of the neighbor's fence right where it forks, you can see there's a hole in the trunk. Actually something I've been concerned about for a few years. Well, this morning we noticed there's a nest in there.

Name:	20200502_084734.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	840715
    That's a mallard hen, don't let the shadow of her head throw you off. Just below the shadow of her beak is a little patch of yellow. She has a whole brood in there.

Comment

Wow Mosca. You’re really upset about this event. Maybe some counseling will do to up yer spirits.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
        Yeah, right next to the knocked over WD-40 and some other cleaner thing. A bird built a nest there last year and I destroyed it, and Mrs Mosca got really mad at me, so I have to leave it this year.

Stupid damn bird. It looks perpetually pissed off.

Click image for larger version Name:	692C0B19-BF77-4CD9-87F0-6DC89D17F417.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	840704
        Nothing worse than morning doves, they build in my gutters over our bedroom window and coo from dawn till dusk.
        At 4AM when no one from PETA is around they get a hockey stick up the side of the cooer.

Tell Mrs Mosca those birds are known to carry Covid...

Comment

Well, if it thinks the BBQ cabinet is nice, perhaps you should introduce it to the BGE and invite it for supper.....

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
            Dadof3Illinois commented
            Editing a comment
            Ahumadora yep, and throw the dove away and eat the bacon...HA. Actually we hunt and eat dove every season but they aren’t my favorite wild game.

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            Dadof3Illinois If you ever get a chance try dove hunting in Argentina. It is an experience.

• Dadof3Illinois
            Dadof3Illinois commented
            Editing a comment
            Donw I’ve watched several of those hunts on TV and it’s crazy...I would have to take a lone out just for shells...Ha.

Doves have been checking out my patio for a few weeks. I think I scared them off enough times to change their minds.

Comment

You guys are lucky. When the babies get big enough I bet they taste like chicken - except for the ducks, which should probably taste like, well, duck.

Comment

• JCGrill
              JCGrill commented
              Editing a comment
              I did a little research on the internet. Apparently the babies leave the nest within 10 hours. They are already gone. No duck breasts to be had...

Originally posted by JCGrill View Post
            I don't have one ruining BBQ's, but check this out. I live in an established suburb, neighbors within 100 yards in any direction. Here's a shot of my back yard.

Now, if you zoom in on the tree just in front of the neighbor's fence right where it forks, you can see there's a hole in the trunk. Actually something I've been concerned about for a few years. Well, this morning we noticed there's a nest in there.

That's a mallard hen, don't let the shadow of her head throw you off. Just below the shadow of her beak is a little patch of yellow. She has a whole brood in there.
            We had a hollow tree about two feet from the deck. A raccoon took up home in it. We called animal control and they took out a mother and two babies. Then we had the tree cut down because it was a hazard, it was very weak. It was right there. Like five feet away from where we sat and ate.

Name:	24E040EA-80E3-4947-913A-FDE844C5F4C8.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	840842

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              Animal control out here is a .22. Seriously, we don't have animal control officers. And no leash laws, dogs are free to roam. If one comes on your property and is a nuisance, you can exercise your legal right to use 'animal control'.

That's funny. I happen to have a dove nest in my workshop too. Once the chicks hatch, I'm sure our cat will get them. It's an outdoor buffet

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Not much dinner in one, so my advice is, eat em all.

Tis the season, I had an intruder recently. Click image for larger version

Name:	5AE34143-C04A-4F4C-A98B-78E193FC3C5F.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	840882

Comment

• Ahumadora
              Ahumadora commented
              Editing a comment
              You don't have to carry it very far. Air rifle should do the trick..

Th doves will hatch out, an fledge out fairly quickly...once they do, remove th nest. If signs of rebuildin appear, eradicate them. They'll give up, after a spell, an go elsewhere.
            Meanwhile ya might git to watch em take their first flights, which is always a delight.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IchiHead.jpg Views:	0 Size:	283.7 KB ID:	840934
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 2, 2020, 06:33 PM.

Comment

When I was a kid, we had a dove fall out of a nest, we raised it in a shoebox. His name was Ike. Ike was a jerk, when we finally tried to reintroduce him to the wild he decided the wild wasn't his cup of tea and wanted to protect our property. He would dive bomb the mail man and any other guests. But he's land on your shoulder and let ya pet him if you were one of the family.

What you can do is see if there is a rescue group in your area who can professionally move the nest. Next year put up a bird box to encourage nesting elsewhere. The birds to keep the bugs down a bit, even if they do poop on everything

Comment

You DO know those are wonderful rubbed down with jalapeno jelly, wrapped in bacon, and then smoked, right?

Comment

Morning Doves are the poorest nest builders. They pick the stupidest places and build loose crappy nests. Places like on top of a small light fixture using a bunch of too large sticks loosely falling all over the place. I'm surprised any survive to fly out of the nest.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis