Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezer Funk on Silicone Ice Cube Tray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezer Funk on Silicone Ice Cube Tray

I have a big block ice cube tray made from silicone that had taken on a really strong freezer odor. I tried washing with dish soap, dishwasher soap, soaking with baking soda, soaking in vinegar - nothing made a difference. Today I found an article on Cooks Illustrated instructing to bake it at 350 for an hour. I couldn't believe how well it worked. There is no trace of freezer odor left.

I've read complaints from Instant Pot owners about the gasket taking on food odors. I haven't tried this on my IP gasket, but it might work the same for those food odors.

The article is linked above if you want to check it out. There is another link in the lower right of the Cooks article for deodorizing cast iron after cooking fish that some might find helpful.

Worthless article if you ask me....(while chunking underwear into the oven) ​​​​

Comment

Mine stink! I will have to give this a try!

Comment

I bet the ice melted though...

Comment

I definitely get an after taste with the silicon tray I use for bourbon rocks. Will have to give this a shot.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

Good tip. Thanks

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis