Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sand blasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surfdog
    commented on 's reply
    Dry ice is my fave. Almost zero cleanup.

• smokenoob
    replied
    find some old gym socks, fill them with sand, spray them with 3m77 and dip them on sand, Put your sandy socks inside the lockers and shut the doors. Go the the nearest freeway bridge entrance and roll the lockers down the steep slope 200-300 times and they will be ready for paint!

or, find a hungry painter with a sandblaster and bring pulled pork butt to trade right before lunch

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    replied
    Sand isn't the only media for blasting off paint/rust, there's walnut shells, soda, shot, probably more I can't remember.
    I'd go with @ Ahumadora advise, pass on the home stuff, there's cheaper methods out there.

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    replied
    $200 seems high, keep looking for other nearby blasters. Check out the powder coating shops as they usually do media blasting as well.

Leave a comment:

• Ahumadora
    replied
    1./ Your littlle chinese puff comressor is not up to the job 2./Most of those small sandblasting home kits are a joke 3./ You need dry sand or a sand dryer to use it.
    4./Keep looking for a local sand blaster thats cheaper

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    You'll more than likely spend more time waiting for the tank to "recharge" than actual sand-blasting. I have some sand, you'll just have to sift out the cat crap.

I'd sneak them over and drop $$ and some BBQ and be done with it.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    started a topic Sand blasting

Sand blasting

(Is this enough off topic for ya? ) We have 3 lockers like you'd find in an old gym. They are 12" on each side and 66" tall. There is some rust, but it's not too deep. My wife wants to refinish one, but after using a wire brush in my angle grinder, she wanted to know how much it would cost to have one sand blasted. The shop closest to me wants $200 to do it, and my wife said no.

So I looked on Amazon and they start at less than $50. I have no idea what a decent one should cost, so I'm wondering what it should cost for a good one. My compressor has a 20 gal tank and 7.5 ft/min. @ 90 PSI. Does anyone have any suggestions?

And then there's the media. I know you can blast small stuff in a cabinet and recover the media, but I'm not so sure with something this size. I also don't know what media I should use...

Thanx for any help.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis