Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixing meats in a smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixing meats in a smoker

Hi all,

Anyone have thoughts on mixing different types of meat in a smoker at the same time, ie., chicken and pork or pork and beef. Any issues about cross contamination? I have a basic gas smoker with racks so the top meat would drip on the lower products. Look forward to the answers.

Stuturf15

Cross contamination should not be a problem as long as you cook the meats to their correct internal temperatures .. Cross contamination of flavours? Do you want your pork to taste of chicken? or your beef of pork? Maybe not a problem. As long as they're cooked to safe temps no danger except from flavours mingling.....post some pics of your cook - we love to see pics...

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, Stuturf -- I have cooked ribs and 1/2 chickens together... not a problem. I usually like a different temp profile for chickens but it all worked out

Comment

Steve, here are some pictures of a brisket and pork shoulder I did recently.

Comment

• smarkley
          smarkley commented
          Editing a comment
          VERY Nice!

No problem mixing except chicken. Only because I cook chicken at a much higher temp.

Comment

Looks tasty! Well done ! But i agree with smarkley and Ernest - chicken is better at a higher temp - i have cooked it at 225 once ( to the correct internal temp ) - the meat was nice but the skin was horrible - it is much better at 325 farenheit with a reverse sear.Just follow Meatheads guides and you can't go wrong....Thanks for the pics..

Comment

When I compete, I always have brisket and pork going at the same time in my WSM. I usually out the brisket on top of the pork as I think I read somewhere that is how it should be done.

Comment

I would instinctively place beef on top, since I think I would rather have a little peppery beef rub drip on the ribs, as opposed to the sweeter pork rub drip on the beef. But I do believe a couple months ago Pit Boss did just the opposite and said there was nothing to notice from doing it. Like the others say though, chicken is best at 325+, you risk drying it out cook it low since it will take longer to get it to finished temp and chicken doesn't have the internal fat to handle a long cook.

Comment

• scottranda
                scottranda commented
                Editing a comment
                Chicken at 325* direct or indirect? (I'm learning here)

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                scottranda Indirect. Always indirect unless you're searing, which then requires you to be right there watching it and flipping it to avoid burning it.

no issues doing so. I usually do it side by side. nothing dripping on eachother. I would do the meat that cooks the quickest on the top rack though if i had to. so that it cooks, and can be remvoed. then the meat bellow it will keep going without issue.

Comment

My smokers have 5 racks, and my wife doesn't eat red meat. I simply put an aluminum pan on the rack beneath my ribs, to catch the drippings and prevent them from getting on her chicken on the bottom rack.

Comment

I've done this without any issues... pork, beef, poultry and taste was not affected at all. In the WSM you'd have to make sure the piece that is to come off first goes on the top rack. Of course no seafood mixed with other meats.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis