Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bitter Meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bitter Meat

After fourteen hours of cooking on a Kamado Joe Classic at 225 - 243 degrees grill temp (Maverick probe) without opening the dome, my 10 lb. my pork shoulder finally reached 195 internal temp. Unfortunately, when I pulled it apart and tasted it there was a very bitter taste to the bark. I had used Meathead's recipe for Memphis Dust but I could not find powdered Rosemary and had to use a granulated Rosemary that I tried to crush. I put three chunks of (Weber) apple wood in with the charcoal. I believe I messed up when I was so anxious to get the meat started that I put it on the grill as soon as the grill seemed stable at 225. I was disappointed when the bark was bitter and tasted over-smoked. Since then, I have read that it is best to wait until the white smoke is all gone. Please confirm that this was my major foul, as I intend to try again and do it right. Thanks

I think your conclusion is correct. Get the grill up to temp, add the wood, then let it stabilize. I usually let mine get up to about 250 before I add the meat, as the cold meat will drop the temperature quite a bit at first.

Comment

It sounds like the white smoke was the issue. It will definitely cause a bitter taste. I used a coffee grinder to make Rosemary powder.

Comment

Hi Huey, I agree with DWCowles ... let 'er burn a bit till the whitesmoke has stopped. As far as wood, you don't need to add much for smoke, just a handful is usually enough

Welcome to the Pit, by the way

Comment

I agree when i was using my diy electric with an amazingtube i used to get white smoke and it tasted bitter - especially on chicken... Thin blue smoke i get from my pellet grill is much better and i also use a coffee grinder - very handy.....

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'm going to try and cut the bark off of the meat to see if I can salvage any of it, and I am definitely going to have more patience next time. I really appreciate your responses and your welcome to me,

Comment

Try pre-burning your wood chunks before adding to the smoker.
              Bury them under the lit coals.

I use fresh rosemary and run it through a coffee grinder.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis