Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone get nasal swabbed for Covid-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone get nasal swabbed for Covid-19

I had to for work. My home plant has 56 cases with 3 deaths. Around 1000 workers. Not sure if the deaths were just blamed on Corona or if they actually tested positive at some point.

Thanks to the nasal swab I'm now scared to blow my nose for the rest of my life.

Dayummm, Brother!!!! Keep yerself safe, please!

Not yet, but it might well be in my future...

Reportin back to work Monday, but with limitations, due to circumstances...no reportin to my shop, we each pick a campus bldg to be home base, to avoid contact with each other. Masks / gloves to be worn durin customer contacts, KU-made hand sanitizer aplenty available/mandatory. etc.

I can only freakn imagine th frenzy at yer workplace, havin worked extensively in th Food Service Industry!

Yall's stats are danged dang rough, there; as of 10 hrs ago, 46 cases confirmed in my county of ~125,000, 39 of which have recovered. So, that means 7, if my archaic math skillz even still apply...

"The daily update from LMH Health announced that, as of 8:30 a.m. Friday, there was one patient at Lawrence’s hospital with COVID-19 and three others who were under investigation for the virus."

Statewide, 2,777 confirmed, 111 deaths. outta Population 2,900,000+

Lack of population density is, I believe, our friend, here...although, if ya look at th graph, in my link, looks like what I've been worried bout, all along: they're sendin me back to work, now that Covid-19 is finally on a dramatic uptick. Never claimed I worked fer geniuses; I've pointedly looked round, ain't never seened none their faces ever at th Mensa meetins...

Please, do be Extry Safe, an Well, there; yer kinda trapped in a Petri dish, at present, as we all are, but th virulence/transmission rate is certainly alarmin, an I worry fer yer well-bein, Brother!!!!
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 25, 2020, 02:47 AM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahumadora thanks. I'll definitely try something

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, hate the fogged glasses. Went to Menards today, picking up pavers for a new patio. Ordered online, pulled them ourselves, and only came into contact with the guy in the guard shack, and a nice guy on a forklift who put the pallet at just the right height to load. Then while my compromised wife stayed in the vehicle I went in the store for a couple of other things. Wore my mask, didn't bump into to many things when I couldn't see through the fog.

• DesertRaider
      DesertRaider commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones, you folks are doing better than here, we've got 56 cases in a county of 51k. And many are complaining about the "lockdown" and not wanting to wear masks.
      Jerod Broussard , dang, that's not good. Stay safe and hope you don't get sick. Getting the swab sounds about as much fun as getting polyps removed from your sinus.
      Last edited by DesertRaider; May 27, 2020, 11:18 PM.

Have not had anything like that near us. Our county has 23 cases total. Stay safe!

Comment

Be careful out there, Jerod. I've read that the original nasal swab technique is a non-habit-forming experience, to say the least. Very unpleasant. Hopefully the newer, less invasive nasal swab test kits will be made available to your firm soon.

Stay safe and be well,
      Kathryn

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol, non habit-forming,

That’s a tough situation to be in. This virus is unseen and apparently can be carried by any of us without knowing it. That makes anyone we know or work with a potential threat. Limiting contacts limits the possibility of catching it, but you can’t work and do that. You are obviously one of the essential workers, thanks for what you do. And, that includes wearing the goggles and face masks.

Comment

We have a population of about 315,000. We’ve had 1900 confirmed cases, and 60 deaths, as of a couple days ago.

I went back to work last Monday, and I’m not happy about it. I’ve had some heated discussions with people who are cavalier in their attitudes about exposure.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Goin back to work Monday, jus as th curve finally shows a rise...

I fully anticipate jus such discussions, with some my customers. We'll be wearin PPE.

Be safe, an well, Brother!

Just don't breathe or open your eyes while at work.

Mr. Bones - I checked VA in your posted link and have to wonder how accurate the data is. There is a nursing home in a nearby county that lead the nation in deaths for a while with over 40 deaths yet the deaths for that county are listed as 16. My county stats: pop 343K, cases 331 and deaths 2.
        Last edited by RonB; April 25, 2020, 07:36 AM.

Comment

They are supposed to do it through your nose? I need to find a new doctor.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            I'll take anal easily the next time, with a chainsaw.....If I bleed out so be it.

Be super careful out there guys n gals, I know the numbers look better as we get more test data but this asymptomatic thing is still a mystery so a little prudence
          would be wise, stay safe and smoke on

no one forcing me to be swabbed but I’ll do it when it becomes easily available

Comment

• pkadare
            pkadare commented
            Editing a comment
            An analogy; We've flattened the curve, we can now get rid of restrictions = The parachute has slowed my descent, I can now remove it.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            OMG exactly pkadare. It boggles my mind how folks don't get that you can't just go out as before since the case #s have somewhat leveled off. That is the best analogy I've heard yet!

• DesertRaider
            DesertRaider commented
            Editing a comment
            pkadare That's the predominant attitude out here where I live. I just don't understand how others can be so cavalier about another person.

Wow. Tough environment in your plant. That would be a pretty scary work environment.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Social distancing in these plants is like kicking an ant hill and telling them to come out one at a time. Ain't happening.

For those whose glasses fog while wearing mask place a folded Kleenex over your nose and under your mask It will absorb the moisture when you breathe.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            or buy fog-x from your local scuba shop. You can use non-abrasive toothpaste on glass lenses, but don't use mint flavor and don't use any toothpaste on plastic or coated lenses.

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            I'll try that.

Try using a little surgical or the like tape to seal the top of your mask to your skin beneath your glasses. Helps prevent your warm breath from fogging glasses or goggles.

Comment

Ahh the joys of being semi-retired and doing computer related work from the confines of my home. The other benefit is working and cooking simultaneously. Think I like the new normal. Stay safe out there in zombie land !!!

Comment

not tested yet,though they're finally requiring mask and temp check before our shift starts.Amazing how some people think this is an invasion!
              When a test is available I'll gladly submit for piece of mind.
              Stay safe.

Comment

I don't know of anyone who has had the swab test. There was a big to-do here 2 weeks ago about not having the kits to do the test anyway.
                Haven't heard whether this has changed or not.
                At work they take our temp every time we come in off the road with a trailer so I get my temp taken 3 times in 8.5 hours.
                Tractors are well supplies with hand sanitizer and alcohol based cleaner with paper towels.
                I completely clean the dash, controls and steering wheel at the start of the shift and continually wipe it down all day.
                At check in there are boxes of masks and rubber gloves for use during our shifts.
                Most customers don't even allow you on the docks so I've had very little interaction with other people.
                I wear the rubber gloves and hand sanitize them every time I get back behind the wheel, the mask I have avoided so far.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis