Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For members that gather recipies and save them on computer: my tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For members that gather recipies and save them on computer: my tips

I have over 360 recipes cataloged on my computer, most saved in MS Word files I hand craft.

The first thing is naming; learn from me here. Start the file name with the key word: Brisket not Apple Cider Brisket. Then put in the description. That way files will sort by key word.

The tip is to get a cheap software that works wonderful (I am a customer only): PrintMaestro from CoolUtils. It will download all your file names in the folders you select to a file. I save to Excel so I have a searchable flat file database of all the files in my Cooking folder.

That has been fantastic for me. It is also good for all your hobby interests. There is a better one out there for $100 that does outline format but this is all I need.

Enjoy!

Scoobs

I use paprika. It's on iOS and Mac and syncs with all devices. Not sure about other systems but I think it's available for PC. It rocks you can import right from a webpage, categorize etc. make a shopping list. It's great.
    Jim

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      My wife has a shopping list app on her iphone. But instead of using it, she goes to wal-mart twice a day, has me pick up stuff she forgot on the way back from work, and then goes again at night. If we lived more than 3 minutes from wal-mart, she might use it more.

• 3DJ
      3DJ commented
      Editing a comment
      I should have mentioned, it's really inexpensive too I think for what it does. I think I got it on sale for $5 on iOS. I just looked, they cover all systems and devices.

http://www.paprikaapp.com

I have a Word template I use for recipes. Included is the hyperlink, the date, the recipe title, time to prepare, yields, ingredients, and the last section for method I call "do this" from this site. I have them in a folder in Word labeled Recipes. I also email every recipe to my Kindle. I have a back up copy in a folder in my email program as well as a 3" binder notebook with sheet protectors. I have over 100 recipes so far an adding more often
    Last edited by FLBuckeye; May 18, 2015, 08:09 PM.

Comment

I have copied all my computer recipe files to Evernote. I love the ability to access my recipes from anywhere that has internet access or cell phone service from any internet capable device. The documents are searchable and I use a similar naming process to Moscuba. I also don't have to worry about my computer crashing and losing any data.

Comment

I used a program called BOX... You may have heard of it? It's a geek start up that has made its founders billionaires and they've not shown a profit yet and it's FREE!

I used this program to compose a presentation to Meathead for a Brioche hamburger bun that may... End up in his new book?

Google the free website called BOX... you might like it.

https://app.box.com/s/bva0wxsf6zbuxivt1yq0su7wswy5o3w4
        Last edited by Breadhead; May 18, 2015, 11:33 PM.

Comment

I keep mine in a folder on my Dropbox account, so they're available any time on any device. I'll be re-naming some - Thanks for the tip, Moscuba!

Comment

If you want a flat-file format, why not start with one and skip the complexity and bulky files of Word? I use AZZCardfile.com. It's about $20, and is a simple "index card" type file manager. You can keep it on DropBox or another cloud and access it anywhere. Complete freedom for any form you want, just make a standard template to use, or use one of theirs. Can imbed files, pictures, audio, formatting, etc. it you want. Basic, but good enough, search capabilities. I created a numbered list of recipe categories and that organizes things (01 Appetizers, 02 Bread, etc), along with the card title. A search for "brisket" will find it in the title in any position. Will also search the card text. Easy to print, export, and import. I like the price and complete flexibility. Check out the site for info.

Comment

I use Evernote... it is awesome and I can get to it easily from anywhere. And yes it will store locally on my laptop too

Comment

I rarely keep recipes but Google keep comes to mind.

Comment

Thanks 3DJ I like it

Comment

First I copy and paste nearly every recipe I come across to OneNote - it sync's across all my devices -- granted thanks to my employer. it's completely searchable - holds pictures. If I try the recipe and like it, I post in on a site call Plan to Eat.com That's a meal planning site we use. I can drag and drop it on any day that i want. If the recipe makes it there then we've tried and like it.
                    Last edited by Lynn_B; May 20, 2015, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Another vote for Evernote here - great to search by tags, and I can access it from any internet device. One useful tool to use with it is the Evernote Web Clipper - it's a browser plugin that will automatically grab any recipe you find on the web and save it in Evernote for you. I know there are at least Chrome and Firefox versions, and probably other browsers too.

Comment

I have used MacGourmet Deluxe, version 3.2.6, for several years. I like it, although I only use it on the desktop.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        Rubs Promo
                        Meat-Up in Memphis