Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you stay healthy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amalik
    commented on 's reply
    Wow. Amazing story!

Thank you for sharing.

So you've had to cut smoking meat down to what amount, just weekly or what?

• Jim White
    commented on 's reply
    amalik Probably an underlying genetic condition. Have a mutation that's really rare (only two or so others in the database) in a gene in the pathway that causes a lot of vascular issues like Marfan and aortic dissections. First surgery was mitral valve repair and then second one was replacement of the aorta, thankfully before it blew. So far, my sister and daughters look normal--I insisted they have their aortas looked at by echocardiogram.

• amalik
    commented on 's reply
    If you don't mind me asking, do you know the cause of your heart surgeries if it wasn't diet related?

• RichieB
    replied
    Walk as much as I can. Here in the neighborhood and in the house. It's a ranch with about 2200 sq. ft. open design. I literary spend a half hour walking around and into basement which is wide open. My other key factor is red wine. And a fair amount of it. For arthritis it's a blessing. I have degenerative arthritis in my shoulders. Ironically I am convinced it was caused by my workout regime. For years did weights and other machine routine. I was in the gym 4 days a week for 2 hours a session. Having a company who had an onsite facility made it easy. Now at 67, I'll stick with the walking and wine. Oh, got to go to pour another glass.

Leave a comment:

• lonnie mac
    replied
    Honestly, I am not healthy. I have survived solely because I have kept my body so confused it has no idea what to break next.

Leave a comment:

• JCGrill
    replied
    I have lost 50 pounds twice in the last 20 years and both times put it back on and then some. Personally I think a lot of BBQ gets a bad rap, but you do need to have some portion control, and that's where I usually fall down. Regular exercise helps, and that's been a fight, on again / off again. It's probably time to make another run at some weight loss.

Leave a comment:

• JCGrill
    commented on 's reply
    Good for you. I find as I'm getting older that whether I want to or not my alcohol intake is limited. Many nights I don't feel like having anything, and if I do I don't want more after one or two. Not sure where this came from.

• TJMagneto
    replied
    Running in circles and jumping to conclusions. Now that the weather is getting nice the wife and I can go for a walk after work.

Leave a comment:

• pjlstrat
    replied
    Thank you to everyone who has posted so far. It is good to know that I am not the only one who wrestles with this. It is interesting, at least for me, to hear the strategy of others.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    pjlstrat Funny you should bring the subject up, because my wife constantly tells me that most of the stuff I am cooking outside is bad for us, haha. I.e. steak, ribs, brisket, pulled pork, pork belly, bacon, etc. She doesn't complain about chicken or fish, and I know I ought to cook more of that. AND exercise more...

It doesn't help that another hobby is brewing beer... also gotta approach that in moderation!

Leave a comment:

• barelfly
    replied
    About four years ago I cut out gluten, was easy since my wife is intolerant and I was semi GF already because of that for 6 years or so. So that took out a lot of the pasta and bread that I loved to eat. Sandwiches for lunch were my thing with how I travel for work. That doesn’t make me healthier by going GF but I replaced it with salads for lunch and much less pasta. Yogurt for breakfast. And the biggest thing, very very little beer for me these days. I have found some good GF beer and will have a beer occasionally at the brew pubs.

I also remain very active, walk the dawgs every day or on the treadmill when I travel 2.5-3 miles. Plus all the walking I do for my job.

I dont know if this makes me “heathy” but it helps with the weight for sure. I’ve maintained my current weight for years now.

but I’m sure the bourbon doesn’t help 😁

Leave a comment:

• Jim White
    commented on 's reply
    That's a very impressive accomplishment!

• Oozzy
    replied
    Peloton and Strength Training.

Leave a comment:

• Steve R.
    replied
    I feel like I have been (unwittingly) preparing for gyms to be closed for awhile now. A few years ago, I decided to quit the gym after I figured up the cost of buying my own equipment and compared that to two years of monthly gym membership payments. I hit the jackpot with a FABULOUS deal on my favorite commercial elliptical on Craigslist, same thing with free weights, bought a tread mill, etc, so we're set up pretty well at home. Being an extreme creature of habit has its advantages, so I can stick to a routine once it is established. Nothing has changed in that regard since this all started. I am taking more walks around the neighborhood with the family and dogs, as are a lot of the neighbors.
    Last edited by Steve R.; April 21, 2020, 08:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Steve R.
    commented on 's reply
    I know what you mean about portion control. I took part in a biggest loser competition at my gym at the time about 10 years ago and ended up losing 45 lbs over about 3 months. Exercise was of course part of it, but diet was probably a good 75% of success or failure. I was eating 6 times per day, but about half the quantity each meal, and low carbs, and it became really easy once I got the ball rolling.
    Last edited by Steve R.; April 21, 2020, 05:32 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis