Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you stay healthy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you stay healthy?

This may be an odd topic to post here, but I am curious. The food & drink posted here is AMAZING (pun intended) but not all of it the healthiest fare in the world. How do you find balance, or do you roll the dice and let the chips fall where they may?

It is a balance between eating healthy and trying to stay alive. I try to walk 3 miles a day and try my best to limit my sugar intake (bread, pasta and potatoes) at least during the week. I do have a glass or two of red wine a day and on the weekends, well I may hit the bourbon from time to time. We cook on weekends for sure and I try to limit portions. I am not sure if it is all healthy or not, but my hobby is food and I just love to eat, so it is tough for sure.

Comment

I personally don't think I have any "health issues" that need any diet changes but my fitness levels migjt need some addressing. I pretty much eat what I please and more so what pleases me.
      Since lockdown I am however eating a lot more than I have in past years. I mostly only eat 1 meal a day in the evening with some picking off things I'm preparing during the day. Things might be a little different when hibernation comes to an end.
      We are not allowed any jogging or walking around the neighbourhood so I have a valid excuse for now 😊

Comment

I have congestive heart failure and really try to limit my sodium intake. A hard thing to do since I started this smoking hobby. I see many many recipes here, that I want to try, but I'm a little handcuffed.

Comment

I exercise daily even if it is just a walk.

Comment

I cycle. And play with my kids.

Comment

Portion control is my big problem. I exercise (not as much as I need most weeks, but always at least some...walking, kickboxing, bike riding (although not in a while). I try to be balanced on what I/we cook, and we eat our own cooking most of the time. If I just managed to eat less that would be a big help.

Comment

6'0" 145 pounds. Roll with it with some cardio on the bicycle.

Comment

The same old thing that we've been told for years:

Exercise: I do 4 mile walks on steep mountain roads 4 days a week.

Sleep well: 8 hours a night recommended. Hahaha. Lifelong chronic insomniac here. It was great in college when I could study while everyone else was sleeping.

Eat wisely: I eat what I want, but with an eye to good carbs and low fat. I save the fat intake for bacon and BBQ. Fortunately I'm not a sweets eater. When I bake a pie, it takes my husband a week to work his way through it.

Limit alcohol: this is harder to do because daily guidelines recommend
                  12 oz beer (5%)
                  8 oz malt liquor (7%)
                  5 oz wine (12%)
                  1.5 oz distilled spirits or liquor

Have you seen what 1.5 oz of scotch looks like in a glass, or 5 oz in a wine glass? Since I usually enjoy twice that amount, I try to limit wine or booze drinking to every 2-3 days instead. True confessions: sometimes I break this intention, usually for good reason. Like lockdown.

Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; April 21, 2020, 06:19 AM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    4 miles uphill both ways. Wow! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

All kidding aside uphill and terrain is 4 miles the hard way. Nice work.

• RonB
                    RonB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The alcohol intake doesn't sound too bad. I can live with 12 beers and 5 bottles of wine a day...

• JCGrill
                    JCGrill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good for you. I find as I'm getting older that whether I want to or not my alcohol intake is limited. Many nights I don't feel like having anything, and if I do I don't want more after one or two. Not sure where this came from.

We walk a lot and try to eat fruits and vegetables every day with our proteins. Portion control is a constant struggle. Food is so good!

Comment

Since I've had two heart surgeries (but not caused by high cholesterol or clogged arteries, than goodness, bring on the pork!), I have to be fairly careful. I love smoking meats, but we also belong to a CSA and that provides us with a weekly haul of fresh local produce that drives a bit of the old connection to cooking what is is seasonal. As others have mentioned, portion control is very important.

I had joined a gym shortly before the lockdown and the class I had been taking there has now moved online. I also purchased some individual online training sessions that my wife and I share. Of course, having five acres and some horses to maintain also keeps me busy doing active stuff.

Circling back to portion control: I'm finding less day to day variation in weight during the lockdown. With heart failure always lurking, I weigh mostly daily to watch for sudden changes. Eating almost no restaurant meals now (we now are averaging just under one takeout meal a week), I find things stay much steadier on more controlled portions. Is anyone else seeing this?

Comment

• amalik
                      amalik commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you don't mind me asking, do you know the cause of your heart surgeries if it wasn't diet related?

• Jim White
                      Jim White commented
                      Editing a comment
                      amalik Probably an underlying genetic condition. Have a mutation that's really rare (only two or so others in the database) in a gene in the pathway that causes a lot of vascular issues like Marfan and aortic dissections. First surgery was mitral valve repair and then second one was replacement of the aorta, thankfully before it blew. So far, my sister and daughters look normal--I insisted they have their aortas looked at by echocardiogram.

• amalik
                      amalik commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wow. Amazing story!

Thank you for sharing.

So you've had to cut smoking meat down to what amount, just weekly or what?

I usually work on my feet about 12 hours a day (pre Covid) and nibbled.

I don’t drink (did for a month when this Covid started) and I quit smoking about 7 years ago (I think).

I log everything that goes into my body with the Cronometer app on my phone.

I eat mostly meat, beets and spring mix. Little simple sugars and mostly complex carbs.

And ranch dressing.... and hot sauce and various oils and acids for vinaigrette. That’s me in a nutshell.

i am walking in the morning to replace work movement. Yesterday was 8 miles (normally 6miles or so) for the first time.

So desperate to get out I was thinking of buying one of those heart scans and I’m having a colonoscopy and Endoscopy this morning.

Lordy I need to go back to work.
                    Last edited by HouseHomey; April 21, 2020, 06:41 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      8 miles. Impressive. Good for you!

Best of luck at the clinic today. Unpleasant, undignified, but oh so important.

Kathryn

Its good-cook bad-cook (health-wise) at our house. My wife makes very healthy meals, fresh vegetables, baked chicken, light on meat portions. I have to beg her to bring me a bag of potato chips from the market
                    She even makes me eat green beans on pizza night

Me, on the other hand.....I would say I cook middle of the health scale.......and, when I get sent to market to pick up a few things, potato chips and bacon are the price for running

We are also very active in walking, hiking, surfing (me), and talking (her)

I think genes help to.....we are both on the skinny side but seeing center of gravity shifting with age

Comment

• HouseHomey
                      HouseHomey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Talking bwahahahah

Breakfast: cup of coffee
                    Lunch: handful of cashews maybe some fruit
                    Dinner: AmazingRibs

Also being able to weight train burns a ton of calories and makes more room for the good stuff.

Comment

Doctors look for and diagnose based on common markers. After a lifetime of hearing about all the things that are dangerous to health, many of which flip flopped back and forth on the "good/bad" lists, I've come to the conclusion that there is only one marker that is 100% reliable. If you are born, you're gonna die.

In over 50 years of docs telling me that my blood pressure and cholesterol were so high that I was "very likely" going to die from that I've maybe gotten a bit more cynical about what is really known yet about the human body. My mother had pretty much the same health profile measurables I have, and she lived to 96. I've been shot at in war, I've survived car wrecks that would have killed others, and even had the chance to dance with cancer last year. Now, none of that is to justify each person just go crazy with risky lifestyle. But more so to say; there is no pat answer that will likely be good for you, the individual. It comes down to learn what you can that seems important to you and choose accordingly. Family health history is somewhat reliable, and may be a better indicator than "the averages" approach. There are lots of strategies to do whatever it is you choose to control. Need to control how much you put on your plate? Switch to using smaller plates and discipline yourself to just one serving per meal. Too much booze? Again, try discipline, but seek sympathetic help (AA for instance). Not enough exercise? Work at figuring out what will get you using more muscle/energy but is also of interest to you. Doing "exercises" that are boring to you.won't last long.

We don't all choose the same profession/jobs in life, we shouldn't choose the same health regimen for similar reasons. Do what makes you happy so that when that inevitable day comes your last thought might be more like; "Man, that was a neat ride." rather than "Damn, I wish I'd___________".

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      Rubs Promo
                      Meat-Up in Memphis