Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving to Houston, where to live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to Houston, where to live?

I'm starting a new job in North Houston. Does anyone know of a nice family-friendly area within communting distance? I don't really want to be in a sub-division either if I can help it.

W.A. I live on the north side of Houston in The Woodlands. Definitely family friendly to the extreme... Not sure I understand your hang up on sub divisions, are you wanting to live in downtown Houston? Otherwise you are, by default, looking at sub-divisions...

Comment

• W.A.
      W.A. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Koy! I've heard of that area.
      No hang up really. Would just like an acre or two of land without breaking the bank. I understand there are likely tradeoffs.

• Koy Schoppe
      Koy Schoppe commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it! There are a lot of places around the Woodlands that offer that bigger lots. If you haven't looked at ww.HAR.com , check it out. really good tool for finding houses in the greater Houston area. Lake Windcrest is one area that come to mind that know has Acre+ lots. Happy to help if you have questions about areas.

Just keep going north...you can find your 2 acre lot up in Tomball somewhere.

Comment

my sister and BIL live in Cypress.... i would not recommend it. they popping houses up in that area like land is going out of style.

Comment

Where are you coming from? Have you lived in SE Texas before? I went to HS here (Bellaire), and have been back last 23 years, near the Med Center. Coming back from N. CA, I considered a small house on a big lot, the great outdoors. Then I remembered the terrific heat, humidity, and bugs, all kinds. You don't want to really be outdoors that much; maybe 10-15 days a year. I opted for the minimum green area possible (my back yard is all brick & pool), and NO commute. I walk to work. If you have to drive N to S in the morning, count on terrible congestion. If you can go against traffic, not so bad. Check the Houston TranStar web site a few times during your probable commute times to get the idea. That's just me. But I love the town, great culture, restaurants, attractions, etc. Good luck, and welcome.

Comment

I have lived in Houston for all my adult life. Koy is correct, The Woodlands is probably the best place to live for family friendly, and not feel like you're living in a typical suburb. I have lived there three times and highly recommend it.

Comment

Thanks everyone! We are going to seriously consider the Woodlands. Lots of homes available. I might try renting to get a better feel for the area first, but We have dogs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis