Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you essential?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you essential?

Just wondering who's working and who isn't. The business that I run is classified under "iron and steel merchants" (basically we sell steel) and we're considered essential. Almost nothing has changed for us, our hours of operation remain the same, all of our commercial accounts remain open and we're pretty busy. About the only thing that's changed is the foot traffic through the place. We do quite a bit of business with the general public, people that walk in and need a "hunk of steel" for a trailer or a home project. We've pretty much squashed that business by keeping all access doors locked with a COVID-19 notice on each door instructing them to call us if they need something. Other than that it's business as usual. How about you?

I'm in IT, normal work load but it's happening from home instead of an office. Really no different as my teams are spread across the US anyway.

Comment

I work for DHS and am essential. I’m teleworking right now, but still working. I hate teleworking, but I am extremely grateful that I can still work! Stay safe!

Comment

I'm not essential (my cats may argue that), but I do consider "essential workers" to be the canaries. If this starts sweeping through the EW community then I will make some serious adjustments, most notably locking my "essential worker" wife out of the house! I'll set food and water bowls out for her....
        Last edited by CaptainMike; April 19, 2020, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yer essentially cruel!

• JimLinebarger
          JimLinebarger commented
          Editing a comment
          Seems to be a fine line between cruel and practical.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          At least set her out some wine!

I basically operate and support the stuff our Teachers use for remote learning. So Im working from home, but have definitely been a busier than normal - mostly supporting the (thankfully) few luddites that hadn't kept up with our changes the last few years. We weren't really getting ready for THIS scenario, but the stuff we've been preparing our teachers for has certainly paid off in the current environment.
        Last edited by xaugievike; April 18, 2020, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Heck, I'm not even essential to my wife - as long as I have auto deposit on retirement funds...

Comment

• Oak Smoke
            Oak Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Exact same situation here. At some point I'm sure I'll reach the no redeeming social value status. I've worked hard for that one. No responsibilities at all.

I was an office guy who did 100% of his work on the computer. Now I’m an at home office guy who does 100% of his work on the computer. Hmmmm...think there may be a trend here ????

Comment

• GolfGeezer
            GolfGeezer commented
            Editing a comment
            +1!! My wife is now working from home - she only works 2 days a week 'cause she wanted to get out of the house. Now I'm IT support and our dining room table is her office. So, I'm only essential 2 days a week.

• clb239
            clb239 commented
            Editing a comment
            It will be interesting to see how many businesses realize that their staff can be as functional working form home and downsize their offices to save on overhead.

One day a week I go to the office, every other day I work from home. Since the shutdown I’ve been working a lot more to keep what used to be in-person stuff going online - probably 20% more hours per week.

Thankful for all of you who are still working.

Praying this thing gets over quick. I’ve lost track of how many friends I have who are out of work, or are small business owners at risk of losing their companies!

Comment

Line haul driver for a courier, back in on Monday.
            Deemed essential to keep parcels moving and e-commerce has gone thru the roof in the past weeks.
            Can't get trailers to Amazon and the like fast enough.
            Purolator, Fedex and UPS up here all had van drivers working today trying to clear back log of parcel deliveries.

Comment

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              The small gazebo I'd ordered to cover my Blackstone was out for delivery on Friday via Purolator and then I got notice around noon that it wouldn't really be delivered, so of course, I cursed them out in my head. Was blown away when I got an email around the same time on Saturday that it had been delivered, and sure enough, there it was, sitting on my porch. I then praised them in my head. :-)

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Restraint is a fine thing, pkadare . Enjoy that gazebo.

K.

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              pkadare same thing happened to my daughter, ordered a desk from Wayfair. Said up to two week wait for delivery by Fedex. Supposed to be delivered on Fri, no show, got a message from Fedex assuring Mon delivery.
              Up pulls a Fedex van yesterday with her desk.
              E-commerce has been steadily gaining ground for years now, this pandemic has and will continue to shape the way we shop.
              Guess I'll see it first hand tomorrow after 5 months

As long as I keep grillin and BBQin I guess I am essential. I'll ask her, no never mind.
            Might not like the answer.

Comment

I do hvac and refrigeration. Our customers include farms, food processing facilities, hospitals, oil refineries, military, etc. I’m still working as much as I normally do. A lot of facilities have set up screening to get in.

Comment

I am remote either way but wife is essential, pharmacist for Veterans Affair Hospital. I am essential at home LOL as they switched her to all nights to accommodate the influx and VA also serves as backup to regular hospitals in times of crisis, and kids need some supervision!

Comment

Guvment shutdown- essential without base pay (if you work overtime you get a portion of what you should get, go figure)

Covid19- essential with full pay and some at home pay aka On Call Pay

Comment

Was sent home, indefinitely, St Paddy's Day...been here, since. Been there 30+ years, now Non-Essential.

We had a Zoom Operations Meetin, yestidday, they're talkin not 'currently' lookin at furloughs, layoffs, downsizin ,as a means to mitigate th financial hardship this is causin/will cause to th university, but quite frankly, I'm concerned...they been targetin us greybeards/silverbacks fer bout 8 yrs, since a Re-Org happened...they'd rather pay startin wage, an seem to think we're interchangeable with folks offa th street. They've already knocked us down from 450+, to more like 170...kinda keepin things purty tight, financially, mostly based on past, more youthful effups...

Not at all whinin, btw; I'm blessed to be gittin paid, but th issue of whether I'll have a job to return to is a very real fear that inhabits my gut, at present. I'm like, mebbe, 2 yrs out from retirement. Jus tryin to make a few more miles, then git offa that Train, an rest.

My sympathies lie with th folks far worse off than me, an I'm doin what I can to help, an feed em Good Food. Music is fun, good fer th soul, but it don't fill yer belly, nor yer kiddos'

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      They did the same thing to my dad a couple yrs before he could retire- bring in $8/hr high school graduates, and they had to train the kids to take over their jobs. What a kick in the ... teeth. Eventually he got back to work, but at a $5/hr pay cut and going from top-tier benefits to bottom-tier. He plugged along and kpet the complanin' to a minimum, not sure how. He's now retired by a few yrs and makes more than he ever made working due to smart saving. I wish the best for you Bones.

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Man, do I ever feel that, Brother; been in th same situation, bein forced to train my own replacement. Nice.Never felt any animosity against th new person, jus th jackholes yankin th puppet strangs...

• Locotech
                      Locotech commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hang in there brother, I literally "got off the train" 3.5 yrs. ago, so nopers, not essential.....except when my kids need fixin on a vehicle.

I'm a veterinarian. we're as busy if not busier than ever. Curb-side only: the staff goes out to get the animals, no clients allowed in the building.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks fer what yer still providin; timely access to pet care is always a critical need...I might blow off goin to th Doc, but certainly won't never be neglecful of Smokey's needs...
                      Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 19, 2020, 07:13 AM.

• Bogy
                      Bogy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Been a little surprised, our vet is still seeing patients in the office. Although here in rural Iowa a lot of what he does is large animal work, and he goes to them. And very essential.

• 58limited
                      58limited commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm really thankful that I have work to do and that I can still help pets and people. I'm also glad that, while I'm not a prepper, that I have learned some good skills to be somewhat self sufficient during this time. Hoarding meat in the freezer for that past year or so didn't hurt either

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis