Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer help please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer help please...

I am a Luddite when it comes to computers. My wife's laptop will not connect to the internet. I do know enough to look at the settings which say it is connected, and I checked that it is connected to the correct address, but nothing will load.

Anybody have any simple ideas for me to fix this?

Win10 - chrome - not Apple... I also tried Edge

A bigger hammer?

Sorry, I'm pretty much a Luddite, too.

Comment

I will try to give you some basic tips. Forgive me if you know this already. But first step is to make sure the WIFI is turned on.

Some laptops have a WIFI switch on the case. Make sure it didn't get bumped into the off position.

If there is no such switch on hers or it is in the on position then try these steps to be sure the WIFI is turned on.

Click on the Windows icon left bottom corner
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 1.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	834070

Click on Settings and this pops up; then click on Network & Internet:

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	834069
      This pops up and then click on WIFI

Name:	Capture 2.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	834068

Make sure WIFI is turned on here:

Name:	Capture 3.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	834067

If it is on, make sure it connected to your home WIFI by clicking on "Show available networks".

Hope this helps.

Comment

• capoteo
        capoteo commented
        Editing a comment
        I think that this is the best troubleshooting option. It covers all the points to initially look at.

Another thing to do is unplug the router and/or modem for about 30s and plug in again. When you see the WiFi connected on the computer, but can't open a new website, that often is the issue. Some home systems have the modem and router as one unit and some have two. Another check is to try connecting the computer to your cellphone's hotspot to see if the issue is the computer or your WiFi/cable service.

Comment

Thanx all for the suggestions, (except you-know-who ). Unplugging the router did not work, but that reminded me to try restarting the laptop - and that worked. Shoulda done that first, but, as I said, I'm a Luddite when it comes to computers.

Comment

Glad you didn't take Willy advise ๐Ÿ˜Š

Comment

Do what they all said, cept Willy . I know cuz I know quite a bit about those things, yessir. Whatโ€™s a Luddite? ๐Ÿ˜ท ๐Ÿ•ถ

Comment

It is often the best solution!

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	834300

Comment

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              Beat me to it! LOL

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              The old "power boot"!

Originally posted by RonB View Post
            Thanx all for the suggestions, (except you-know-who ). Unplugging the router did not work, but that reminded me to try restarting the laptop - and that worked. Shoulda done that first, but, as I said, I'm a Luddite when it comes to computers.
            Occam's Razor.

K.

Comment

• Al S.
              Al S. commented
              Editing a comment
              Well said, Kathryn ๐Ÿ™‚

The first thing almost all tech support agents say is "did you try restarting?"

Comment

I sometimes have to do a Network Reset under the Status page.above. It will take about 5 minutes and then restart your computer. When you go to connect to the web it will ask for the serial number of the device your using and then your all set.

Comment

Just for the record I figured out what Luddite is. It is short for Troglodyte. It's been a while since that term went across my last 2 working brain cells.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis