Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bees

Just FYI for those interested. One of the things running me in circles the past few weeks was installing my new bee families. and JUST in time! All 4 hives are going to town! they have been in for 24 days, now and I expect to see MASSIVE hatchings this week from the first laid eggs. I went into the hives about a week or so ago. all the hives were covering 4 frames completely with 6 frames each of brood, MUCH of which was capped. that is going to quadruple the populations in the next week and a half.

I have to say, I LOVE my new video camera! I wish I had it long ago. as I <ahem> <whisper>....age.......,ahem> it gets a little harder to see clearly what the girls are doing and to see clearly into the cells when inspecting the hives. a great magnification video camera helps IMMENSELY! The hive I call Messina is a Top bar hive and has a plexi window on the back side. so, I spend a lot of time spying on them. being able to see how that one hive is doing gives me clues to the other three. but, a beekeeper knows, hives develop their own personalities so one is not a carbon copy of another. Still a good idea of the activities.

Anyway, for those who LOVE work and can watch it ALL day, I am uploading some of the spycam videos. it is really WAY cool and, occasionally, Her Highness makes an appearance. I may start shooting about 20 minutes a day, just to document what is happening and posting a couple of times a weeks. it's pretty fun.

as this is not connected directly to my cooking channel, this is posted on my real name channel. but, here is the link, anyway, and you can see more by looking at the same list of videos for the channel. I'm going to be posting another tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sCBBVN4IJ8

That is some amazing creature.

FYI- bee camera bomb at 6:41
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; May 17, 2015, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Hadn't heard from you in a while, good to see you've been out having fun.
      And...

Comment

I'm going to have to remember that one!! LOL!!!

Comment

Yeah, they occasionally crawl across the window on the inside! I think the Queen makes an appearance in this one. you never know where she's wandering. right now, she's likely on the white comb you see in the shot. all the darker comb is full. the white comb is brand new comb. a lot of times, the queen will lay in a cell before it is completely drawn out. then it becomes a race between the larvae and the workers to keep the cell bigger than the baby sister!

I went out later that afternoon and there was a sprinkling of chewed up wax bits all over the ground under all 4 hives. that means there had been a pretty good hatch over that day. It is rainy today so the girls are staying inside. there doesn't seem to be as much hatching on rainy days. but, rainy days, with a spy window, are good days to see the real numbers in a hive. rainy days and early mornings before they shake the sleep out of their wings.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Pretty neat how sanitary they keep it by taking out the dead ones.

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            if a pupae dies in a cell, they'll remove it and clean the cell. they are incredibly good at that. they gather, care for each other and the hive, defend the hive. it is such a wonderful experience to share space with them. I love it!

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            That's cool. So not like mosquitoes. It is more like, "later fool, I'm ready to pop out this crappy exoskeleton and, either lounge above the water and wait for a female (male talking)", or, "get bred, get some blood (female talking)."

That's really cool, the honey must be to die for!

Comment

it really is. and when you collect it gives you different flavors. most keepers mix it. I am going to try to keep frames separate where I can. Right now, Privet, sourwood and clover are blooming. light colored and delicately flavored. darker honeys come in later in the season.

Comment

• Karon Adams
              Karon Adams commented
              Editing a comment
              I posted another video of the bees a few days ago. I actually use the camera just so I can keep a better eye on the girls. I set up the camera and turn it one for 10-20 minutes then go in and watch it on the computer. gives me a good measure of where all four hives are and how they are doing.

Weather permitting, I need to go into them this weekend. The Queens in my Langstroth Hives (The typical stacked boxes you see in the US), were only laying in the top boxes for their brrod chambers. so, I went in a week ago and reversed the boxes, top to bottom. I need to go back and see if that worked. if it didn't, I'll need to checker board them. Switch 4 for for, alternating a frame of open brood, then an unused frame and so forth. open brood will bring the nurse bees to that box and the nurse bees will bring the queen.

most people think the queen runs the hive. that could not be further from the truth. The hive runs her. they protect her and, if she isn't up top the task, they'll supercede her with a new queen and then ball her and kill her. if the hive is too full with no room to continue raising babies, they will raise a new queen and swarm.

beekeeping, to a great degree is more about swarm control. swarming removes worker bees from the hive thus reducing honey gathering.

I posted a new video on the real name youtube with the bees. those will be tagged beekeeping. the new one I posted because in the beginning of the video, you see a bee on the window and she looks deformed or like, maybe, she has a parasite on her tummy. she doesn't, she's making wax. this is how they secrete little chips of wax, then chew it up for their own uses. SO cool!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis