Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The COVID-19 Carnage Continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The COVID-19 Carnage Continues

Farmers, Ranchers, Poultry and Dairy Folks are in tough spots too. I'm pretty sure the article linked below isn't behind a paywall. If it is, sorry. Read it or not as you choose. It ain't fun.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/b...gtype=Homepage

I thought food consumption would be a zero-sum game, everyone is eating the same amount, It must be that the channels for distribution are not efficient enough to redirect perishable food in time. Sad.....

Comment

Damn. Thats about all i can say.

Comment

I agree, it seems like the food supply chain should be alright. Unfortunately like we saw with toilet paper, folks are either hoarding or they're having trouble getting and doing without. It's thrown the whole supply chain in a loop. I have a lot of frozen meat so I'm in good shape but found that I was getting low on prime beef. Decided to go to my local butcher. He runs a smaller shop that caters to local suburbanites like me. To my astonishment he told me he's run out of meat three weeks in a row. Gets deliveries on Monday and by the weekend it's all but gone except for things no one wants.

Everything is topsy turvy right now. Let's hope the cure for this virus doesn't exceed the pandemic itself.

Comment

Very interestin article, thanks fer sharin!

Crazy times, right now, fer sure...

Comment

We make onion rings at home all of the time, fake news! Seriously, let's take care of who and what we need to take care of, turn our TV's off and just get back to work. I may be a bit jaded, but I've seen this movie before and I'm about to walk out on it.
            Last edited by CaptainMike; April 11, 2020, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Well said. This sucks, but that's how we're going to get through this.

Thanks for sharing. Wish there was an unlike button. Not for the post but for the story.

Comment

For people wondering why milk is being dumped, this is a very educational thread from a Canadian farmer:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...564526593.html

Upshot is that wildly changed demand in different market sectors means that some parts of the processing chain are overburdened, others are near idle but its basically not possible to redirect capacity.

Comment

It is like watching a bunch of dominoes falling. Sad to watch.

Comment

I have noticed that my local grocery chain has been parting out a lot of chicken. Yesterday I got a bag of boneless chicken breast for $1.49/lb. Chicken leg quarters going for $0.69/lb. They have also been grinding up steak into ground beef and selling it off in bulk.
                  With schools and universities closed, many people are not placing their normal orders. As someone mentioned, it’s not possible to switch overnight from bulk delivery to retail, from kegs to bottles, etc. It is very disheartening.

On a lighter note, at least here in the Baltimore area the toilet paper insanity is beginning to ease off.

Comment

Latest news from here is that 21 employees from my hospital have been tested positive. Sounds like a lot but this is out of 5k employees. Still too many regardless.

Comment

My supervisor is positive. She has been out almost a week. Can't imagine not having an antibody titer for this virus at this point. There's probably 20+ positives out of 900 workers in this plant.

​​​Our wolly world meat shelf has exploded with products. Sheep brisket, sliced pork belly.......

Comment

Meat is plentiful in my local area, thankfully, but a few weeks ago it hit a few days of slim pickins. Eggs & bread were gone for a while back then too. Toilet paper however, still empty shelves, been a month now. Cleaning supplies too are sparse. I can only picture hoards in the community pooping & cleaning and eating eggs & toast.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
                          Oak Smoke commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Your last line creates some mental images that are hilarious! You may have the next great reality show figured out. From what I've seen, disfunction sells

• Willy
                          Willy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You're on the front lines of this, though I think you are far from the MI "hot spots" like Detroit. True? What is the view from your seat? I think about all of you medical folks all the time--fine and brave souls you are! Thanks to you all! Our food chain folks too!

PS--stay away from Lansing!

• Huskee
                          Huskee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sorry I missed this, Willy. Thanks for the nice words. Yeah I'm 2.5hrs NE of the Detroit area, it's not as bad where I am, there aren't bodies piling up in empty rooms. We miss the glory days of mid-February and prior though. Yes, I will stay away from Lansing. Bad enough there's a virus rampaging its way north, but now there are the kooks out in full force.

As we learn more about the virus by testing for it and the antibodies, it appears we may be peaking in “some” places and there is talk of selectively opening some business up (beaches, restaurants, etc) with distancing rules. Based on my calculations from a Dutch antibody study and a Santa Clara antibody study, it may be that a lot of people had this virus with little to no effect. If so, that could lower the predicted death rate by an order of magnitude. Again, this is just thoughts forming in my head (may be right, may be wrong).

As an old guy, whatever easing of restrictions will be looked at very cautiously. I don’t think I will go to a restaurant for a long time

I’ll tell ya what it would take for me to feel better about reducing my social distancing. If every worker was temp tested and logged prior to starting work, Fail the temp test and you go home. But then, who knows if the asymptomatic folks actually have a discernible temp change?

Anyway, right now I’m still practicing “Only the paranoid survive” from my old friend Andy Grove

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                          LA Pork Butt commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That was funny!

• klflowers
                          klflowers commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ditto

This is horrible. The grocery store that I usually shop at was completely cleaned out of Tequila. Add that to the list of wierd stuff that people are making a run on.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        Rubs Promo
                        Meat-Up in Memphis