Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who cooks/ who cleans? A poll...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who cooks/ who cleans? A poll...

Since I have nothin' better to do, how 'bout a poll?

We are lucky. I love to cook, but my wife would rather clean up, and that has worked out great. I do clean as I cook, so that does help, (if there is a dirty piece and I have free time, I just wash it so things don't get too cluttered). So how does it go at your place?

Bonus points for coming up with another category. See either Huskee or Spinaker to redeem bonus points.
    I cook and clean
    72.94%
    I cook and someone else cleans
    25.88%
    I cook, eat, and walk away. Dirty stuff just disappears.
    7.06%
    I just eat.
    0%

There needs to be; I Cook and Clean with help from my wife cleaning, sometimes.

Comment

I am the only one here, so have no choice.

I try to clean everything through out the cook, like you do. If I am making something on the stove, I will pu the food on the plate and then clean up before I eat. I hate having a bunch of dishes to do after dinner. I really only use one plate and a cast iron pan every night, so I have it easy.

On thanksgiving this year, I was amazed at how many serving tray, gravy boats, plates, chargers, etc my Dad has at his place. I was cleaning up, then I pulled the "I cooked this meal, I am not cleaning too." I let my brothers take over, since all they did all day was drink and watch football. LOL.

My mom used to not let us clean anything during the holidays cause something would end up getting broken, like her fancy china or some fancy gravy boat, so she usually cleaned up most of the dinner after we cleared the table.She would not let us near that stuff. With three brothers in a confined space like that, eventually, a wrestling match would erupt and then you never know what will get destroyed. I think she was just trying to manage the potential damage.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        You do have a choice. You can clean one day & clean the next that way you will convince yer mind that it’s 50/50! How’s that fer logistics.

A very smart mom.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Right there with ya, Brother, from start to finish, although Smokey will gladly help clean my plates, bowls, etc. , Sweet Lil Guy that he is!
        Last night he had some lil pieces of spicy brats,an Bambi Burger, even et of a few navy beans, then was helpful enough to lick out th remainin goodness outta my finished bowl.
        I'm bettin yer dogs are willin to help, as well
        But, yup, 1 man operation, here, an totally agree bout clean as ya go, an not wantin to haveta clean after I eat!

• Darchie03
        Darchie03 commented
        Editing a comment
        I am the only one here, so have to do it all & no pets to help Do have a house keeper in once a month but that's for other areas than the kitchen.

My wife still works full time (well, until recently) so I do all of the cooking and most of the cleaning. Funny one though, I had a lot of leftover Sunday Gravy from last week and she mentioned making lasagna with it. I said go for it and add a layer of leftover ravioli to it. She made it and it was fantastic! She was bragging to friends about how she cooked dinner when I interrupted her and said "no honey, you assembled dinner".

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh sure Cap’n. Yup, you hosed us down well.

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        "She was bragging to friends about how she cooked dinner when I interrupted her and said "no honey, you assembled dinner"."

How IS the sofa?

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        I have learned the hard way (in a very similar situation) just to keep my mouth shut. A team is always stronger than an individual. I almost forgot who does the laundry....

I do 66.7% of the cookin & 95% of the cleaning. Tis my caring package for me wife.

I should clarify things. My wife is the best cook I’ve ever been around. I used to say & it is close to being absolute, that the first 15 to 20 years of our marriage I didn’t have any entre twice. She is a born & bred Minnesota farm gal who also spent 30 years in food service, from waitressing to cookin to contract sales & settin up restaurants, the pro’s pro. I’m still in the learnin/toddler stage.
      Last edited by FireMan; April 11, 2020, 02:30 PM.

Comment

I've been off on dis-ability for the last 5 months while my wife works full time so as I've felt better I have started cleaning more.
        I've always done all the cooking that mattered, the wife's pretty good with toast and corn flakes, boiling water but after that its a crap shoot.
        I didn't get over weight from her cooking.
        All changes April 20, my dis-ability benefits run out and its back to work I go....man I need the rest....

Comment

We actually both cook and clean, but it’s about a 75/25 split .... I do most of the cooking and dishes. My wife does most of the laundry. This works out well since I hate doing laundry and she hates doing dishes.

Comment

If I cook, she cleans. If she cooks, I clean.
            In my family, you cleaned at age nine until the next nine year old came along. My sis was 5 years behind! When I was 15 I got the job of executive dishwasher at a Holiday Inn. Luckily, very few folks ate at the Holiday Inn then, it was a cakewalk job! And.....do not show up for dinner 10 minutes before the kitchen closes.....jus sayin’

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, kids did dishes in my house growing up, too

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Always loved Holiday Inn. The minimum standard. Always knew what to expect no matter where you were. Good times!

I do 80% of the cooking and dishes and you won't hear me complain - it's my way of getting my mind to other places. She does laundry (although I fold), we have someone else do the bathrooms, dusting, mopping, etc. Otherwise it would not get done.

Comment

I make dinner most nights and do my best to clean as I go. After dinner my wife does the dishes. If she cooks, then I do the dishes.

Comment

How about "I cook and we argue about who cleans."

Comment

My wife and I share. I'm like some of you, I demand a clean kitchen to start, I don't want to negotiate dirty dishes or pots and pans during the prep time. I try to also clean between long cooking steps.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                    Richard Chrz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I can not start with a dirty area or dishes either and I also try to keep a manageable level if making a lot of different dishes or work areas. But the final stuff is done in the morning.

I enjoy doing dishes and cleaning up after a good cook (I do not clean up dishes until next morning.) But, when I am washing dishes I find it is a good time to reflect back on the incredible good fortune I have to have the ability to cook, and the meal that these dishes provided, and the good fortune to have food. I kind of think of it as a second tasting. I am a bit of a hippy that way, well, in many ways. lol

Comment

We both do both, but when I clean my wife cleans behind me cause she is Felix Unger in disguise

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                      Richard Chrz commented
                      Editing a comment
                      HA! I am more finicky then my wife when it comes to dishes, laundry, and how organized our cabinets are. I would follow her around if she was doing it.

• RonB
                      RonB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Soooo - how does that work out at bed time?

• andy.wpg
                      andy.wpg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Uh, is my wife a bigamist? You just described us perfectly.

I basically do all the cooking. She used to do all the cleaning. But a bunch of years ago I had to put a stop to that.
                    See as I was cooking she would take every dish, pot, pan or utensil I was using if it wasn’t in my hands and clean them. When I would reach for what I needed it was now in the dish rack.

So now I cook and clean things as I’m finished with them.
                    She than cleans the dishes after dinner. But not my pots and pans. Oh no. Those are off limits. 😁 And they get cleaned the next day.
                    That’s my story and I’m sticking with it. 😄

Comment

• Dewesq55
                      Dewesq55 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      ofelles - I'm pretty convinced that Barbara intentionally puts my stuff "away" where it doesn't go just to get me to do it myself. Whenever I'm looking for s utensil or gadget and I can't find it, it's a safe bet Barbara emptied the dishwasher last.

• Steve B
                      Steve B commented
                      Editing a comment
                      ofelles and Dewesq55 Truth brothers. 🙌

• RonB
                      RonB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You guys are lucky - my wife grabs my plate with food still on it and sez "Your done." It's not a question...

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis