Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Complicated math problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complicated math problem

If I have 1.5 teaspoons (t) of a 8% solution in 2 cups of water, how much of a 5% solution do I need to achieve the same concentration in 2 cups of water?

Initially I thought of increasing the 1.5t of the 8% solution by 3%, but somehow I think that this may not be correct.

I case you are wondering why I would be concerned, this is how to make a disinfecting bleach solution with off brand bleach. Most clorox bleach is 7.5% sodium hypochorite. And has specific instruction for formulating disinfecting solution. Off brands do not. Off brands do not list ingredients, but if you look up their MDS it will tell you what they are. In my case it is 4-6 %

Anyone want to take a stab at it?

IowaGirl ?
    Last edited by lostclusters; April 10, 2020, 06:20 PM.

I think 2.4 teaspoons, but that's mostly educated guessing. 1.5 * 0.08 / 0.05.

Comment

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, you're spot on!

• Ricardo
      Ricardo commented
      Editing a comment
      I second or third that.
      2.4 tsps of 5% = 1.5 tsps of 8%

My head hurts! Thanks!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad it ain't jus me, Brother! Honest truth be told, I never even finished 2nd Grade, an That's a Fact, Jack...

They was a small farm, needed tended to, If we'uns wanted to continue to survive.

When I cooked Professionally/ Commercially / Institutionally... what th State Health Dept. regs.Mandated, an they measured fer, upon Inspections, was: 1 cap full of bleach, per 1 gal water...

I cannot speak as to th variation in concentration between brands...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 10, 2020, 05:42 PM. Reason: Ficksed a tipoe :-)

Comment

Can I buy a vowel?

Comment

4 . That’s my answer & I’m stickin with it. I wuz good at math, sometimes.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          >>Amazed at yer Mad Cipherin Skillz, Brother!!!
          Ya had an answer in only 38 minutes, I had barely got my shoes off, (so I can count to 20, twicet as fast as usin jus hands, fyi), an was still a cipherin...

Originally posted by JCGrill View Post
        I think 2.4 teaspoons, but that's mostly educated guessing. 1.5 * 0.08 / 0.05.
        Could you walk me through that?

Ah basic algebra, right?

1.5t ... 5%
        ----- X -----
        x ....... 8%

Right?

Pardon the periods, I need them for proper spacing.
        Last edited by lostclusters; April 10, 2020, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          Pretty much. Or another way to look at it is try to figure out how much active ingredient is in your 8% solution. 8% of 1.5 is 0.08 * 1.5. To get the same amount, what number would you have to multiply by 0.05?

1.5 tsp is around 7.5 ml, so an 8% solution will add .6 ml of “X” to the solution. A 5% solution will need ~12 ml to add the same amount of “X” which is slightly less than 2 1/2 tsp

i think.

Comment

Here's a good article that explains how much bleach is needed to make small amounts of sanitizing solution strong enough to kill the covid virus -- https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/covid-...ng-with-bleach Be sure to use fresh bleach -- under a year old -- to make sure it is still potent enough. In case people can't access the article, here are a couple of screen shots with the key info --

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-10 COVID-19 – Disinfecting with Bleach(1).png Views:	2 Size:	169.9 KB ID:	829391

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-10 COVID-19 – Disinfecting with Bleach(2).png Views:	2 Size:	200.9 KB ID:	829390
          Tip -- A teaspoon is 5 mL. A Tablespoon is 15 mL.
          Last edited by IowaGirl; April 10, 2020, 06:05 PM. Reason: added conversion for mL to TBL and tsp

Comment

• lostclusters
            lostclusters commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, THANKS! Mine is listed on the MDS (material data sheet) as 4-6%, so I shoot for 5%. Clorox is 7.5%.
            Last edited by lostclusters; April 10, 2020, 06:11 PM.

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            Be sure to look at the specific type of Chlorox bleach you have to make sure -- not all Chlorox is 7.5% I am learning.

I think the numbers in these tables agree with the numbers we're calculating -- about 2.5 tsp of 5% bleach in 2 cups of water or 1.5 tsp of 8% in 2 cups.

Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post
          When I cooked Professionally/ Commercially / Institutionally... what th State Health Dept. regs.Mandated, an they measured fer, upon Inspections, was: 1 cap full of bleach, per 1 gal water...

I cannot speak as to th variation in concentration between brands...
          I just measured, my cap full was 1 tablespoon. Not nearly half as much needed for a gallon of water.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Not in any way gainsayin what they say, simply citin what KS State Dept of Health required, upon th multitude of kitchen inspections I have been through..
            I have very much enjoyed alla this info, an will study it exhaustively, as I always like to be up to date, especial when it comes to Food Safety, an sanitization.
            Be safe an well.

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            I think there are different bleach concentrations for different types of sanitizing, Mr. Bones. That might be why your recollection for routine food service disinfecting is different than what you're seeing here in this thread for disinfecting for infectious diseases like this virus.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            IowaGirl Thanks, Lady! Already caught my own mistake in bein too general, an addressed it, below. Yer 110% right (as was I, in th context cited).
            I should have asked more questions, before offerin up an answer!.
            Thanks, Sis! Be safe an well, all yall there.

Another good reference:

http://www.americanchemistry.com/nov...ducts-list.pdf

Comment

I am both un-complicated and un-mathematical.
            My head just blew off reading you math

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              I got stuck in school at pi are square/ ??? wth???

I told em Pie ain't square, pie are round...cornbread are square...
              needless to say, I was laughed outta th classroom, shamefaced...
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 11, 2020, 01:43 PM.

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Mr. Bones , unless you duz cornbread in a skillet, then it’s round. How that math fer ya.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh, I knew somebody'd come along an bust me...
              Truth is, I usually Do make it in a CI skillet, prob 87.63% of th time, after analysis....
              But I still cut it in squares, so my poor feeble ol brain ain't gotta suffer no mathy mattical (sp?) dilemnas, an I can jus peacefully enjoy my beans n greens, an have summat to dunk, an later wipe my plate or bowl.

Reckon my answer was based upon Food Safety Regs I was taught, an mandated to obey/comply with, an mebbe yer wantin a sanitizin solution fer another purpose, given current events... whole nuther ball of wax...

My sincere apologies, Sir. I should have been forward thinkin enough to ask in what context you intended to utilize it, (bleach solution) because >200PPM is considered harmful for humans to safely ingest, in a Food Service context. Sorry fer th limited scope of knowlege that I shared.

Some useful info, as it relates to food safety, not virucide...

https://ucfoodsafety.ucdavis.edu/sit...iles/26437.pdf

https://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dphs/holu/do...s/hom-sani.pdf

Federal regulations (21 CFR Part 178) permit the use of sanitizing solutions containing sodium hypochlorite on food processing equipment and food contact articles with the following provisions:Equipment or articles sanitized with the solution must be allowed to drain adequately before contact with food.Solutions used for sanitizing equipment shall not exceed 200 parts per million (ppm) available chlorine.
            Not debatin, jus hope this info helps folks out. I think that's what we're all here to do, ultimately...

Comment

I am good at math, just not accurate

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Ahm'a steal that quote, hopefully with yer good blessins!

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Mr. Bones, I stole it from an electrician foreman on a job I was on a few years back, use it as you will!

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, Brotherman! Appreciate it!
                Be safe an well, all yall there, give th Grands some Sugar from out KS Territory way, let em know some folks Loves em...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis