Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Craigslist Weber Rehab Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craigslist Weber Rehab Questions

Hello everybody! Since I moved into my new place all the BBQ gear I have been able to procure has been charcoal powered, and I have felt myself missing the convenience of a gas powered option. I popped onto craigslist this past week and started searching for a grill deal, and I think I may have found one.

I picked up my Weber Genesis Gold C LP a couple of days ago... for $25.00 (The guy seemed to be a picker and all grills were just $25.00 his wife was very happy to see the "junk" go)

Twenty-Five!

The inside of the grill itself has some rust issues, but the frame looks sturdy and I brought it home. I finally got some propane for the initial test, and holy crap... not only do all three burners burn clean and blue, but the electric ignition even works! Even the side burner fires right up! I was shocked.

So my major rehab questions are these:

What is the best way to clean some rusty innards?

The drip tray is missing on this unit and I feel like I need a fix for insulation and heat retention. Should I just order a new one for $30.00 or would a simple hack like a sheet pan across the bottom work well enough?

The grates are pretty much rusted through, do you guys recommend GrillGrates? I'm thinking of popping them in here as the grill seems pretty damn sturdy. Is that silly? Or do you think this thing could go another decade? The frame has minor rust on the left side, but seems very sturdy. Are GrillGrates worth it at about double the price of a new set of Weber iron grates?

I'll try and remember to take a few pictures.

Thank you!

And here is the finished grill, GrillGrates included. Not bad for 25 bucks.

Total cost was maybe $140 between the grill, grates and paint. This thing should last quite a while!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cidergregg; May 23, 2015, 10:53 AM. Reason: Finished!

Dang! It sounds like you got a heck of a deal. The rust issue on the inside (if any) can be remove with a SOS pad (not the soapy ones) or a wire brush. After you remove most or all of the rust spray or rub it with olive oil or veggie oil (even bacon geese will do). The Rust on the legs I would use wire brush, sandpaper or a sander if you have one then a couple coats of spray paint. Yes I would definitely go with the GrillGrates and order a drip pan from Weber and then you will have a nice grill for under or around $200.

Comment

Here are some pictures finally. The one with the grill open is before a bit of cleaning. The other two are after some heavy scrubbing with a degreaser and coarse pads.

The flavorizer bars are pretty rough, but with my planned GrillGrates should perform just fine. More to come!
      Attached Files

Comment

These old Webers RULE! Great quality hard parts, and easily replaceable burners and grates and such. I recently rebuilt a Silver A. The only thing good was the grates and the flavorizer bars.

I completely disassembled it, power washed it, hit it with a wire wheel, Painted the outside, replaced the igniter and burner assembly. This is the burner assy I Used: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...UTF8&psc=1

Also rebuilt the tray on the left with some wood I had around.

And go with GrillGrates! They ROCK!

​

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis