Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Prepare Tofu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Prepare Tofu?

Well, there wasn't a Tofu category under Recipes, so I figured I'd post this here.

I like it!

Comment

LOL!!!!!

Comment

LOL

I saw the topic and was going to post throw it out! Too funny!

Comment

That's the same recipe that I used

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            A man after my own heart

This takes longer, but the pine board treatment also works.

Comment

1. Form it into a ball
            2. toss in the air
            3. with short 2x4 whack it over the fence to the neighbors yappy dogs

Comment

Hi guys...

It may be funny, but if you're interested let me know. I cook a TON of Tofu. While I love my meat, my wife and 2 daughters are vegetarian. There a myriad ways to prepare tofu. I also have a number of recipes for a meat substitute called Seitan (almost pure vegetable protein, made from wheat gluten).

Having to cook vegetarian has actually expanded my spice/herb matching skills immensely.

Dan

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Love seitan. And tempeh!

After my heart attack (1992, 37 years old) I spent an entire year on the Ornish diet: no animal products, at all. No meat. No cheese. No eggs. No fish, no milk, nothing. I learned how to make odd foods hearty, and likeable. (But I never learned to like vegetarian chili.)

I don't choose tofu (or seitan), but when served one or the other I don't turn up my nose at it. Tofu can be pretty good. I just won't spend my own money on it.

Regarding the Ornish diet, at the end of a year I'd lost about 60lbs, mostly through vigorous exercise, and my cholesterol had gone up over 10%, to 250. So I went back to eating animals, and started taking statins, and here we are.

Comment

The real secret to tofu is eating it as tofu, and not as some ridiculous attempt at a meat substitute. I never liked tofu either back in the States, and it's no wonder why I didn't. In Asia they make tofu for its own taste, not to try to cover up the fact that the food is meatless. In fact, my favorite tofu dish is swimming in bits of ground beef in a spicy sauce. I would never dream of throwing slabs of it on the grill and pretending it's meat.

Comment

dan_crowley , Lost in China , and anyone else..........do you have some recipes for tofu you'd be willing to share?

Comment

Originally posted by richinlbrg View Post
                    dan_crowley , Lost in China , and anyone else..........do you have some recipes for tofu you'd be willing to share?
                    Rich ... just google "agedashi tofu" (deep fried tofu in a sweet dashi sauce) and you'll see a ton of easy recipes. It's my cold-weather go-to starter dish every time we go to a Japanese restaurant.

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's the ticket - deep-fried with a pungent sauce of some kind!

the proper way to prepare tofu is to take the tofu, place it carefully into the garbage and pull out the steak you have for backup.

Comment

I am sorry but, I just plain do not understand how there is any discussion about tofu (of all things) on a BBQ forum, where it should be all about the meat rather than phoney meat that is a wannabe at the very best.

I do respect the vegans point of view to a point, but as we are all humans we all require some animal fat into our diet.

Comment

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I dunno, we're all big enough to entertain a bit of out of the usual bounds, right?

• Steve Vojtek
                        Steve Vojtek commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Personally I don't consider tofu to be "phoney meat" to be honest.. A marketing scam maybe...Trying to sell tofu as a meat substitude... It is not a substitute but a food item on its own.....And prepared correctly it can be delicious...Just like vegetables...

Originally posted by archer.2010 View Post
                      This takes longer, but the pine board treatment also works.
                      You beat me to it. That was what I was going to suggest as well.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      Rubs Promo
                      Meat-Up in Memphis