Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Katz pastrami comparison with Close to Katz Pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katz pastrami comparison with Close to Katz Pastrami

I haven’t posted in ages. Just nothing to post. Haven’t cooked much, and certainly nothing of interest.

We’ve been too busy and tired to cook, so we’ve been trying different things. Most restaurants we frequent are fully closed, sooooo, Porter Road (VERY good), Pat LaFrieda meat (anther day’s post) and we placed an order from Katz’s deli in NY.

I am a NYer, (grew up 50 miles north of Katz’s) but never had the pleasure of Katz’s. Ordered bagels and Nova lox. Man, I’ve missed a NY bagel! Ordered full sour dill pickles. Just what I grew up on. Took me back to my childhood! HIGHLY recommended. Also ordeed Matzahball soup and chicken noodle soup. I’m not much of a soup guy, but #1 said it was the best chicken noodle soup she’s ever had.

Now for the main course. Pastrami needs to be boiled in its sealed bag for 5 minutes. They supply a 1/2 loaf of deli rye (didn’t know how much I missed that!), a nice mild Swiss cheese (excellent), sauerkraut (very good) and Russian Dressing (hands down the best I’ve ever tasted). Meathead , can we have a close to Katz’s Russian Dressing page?

Makes an OUTSTANDING sandwich! Pic attached. Sorry, I left out the dill pickle that was on the plate.

The Pastrami. We got 2 packages. Based on the bark pattern, one was from a flat and one was from a point. I did not taste any pepper or coriander in the bark, and no smoke flavor. The pastrami from the flat was a bit tough, the pastrami from the point was very tender.

When I make pastrami I use Meathead’s original recipe. Smoke to probe tender (203-205ish), rest for at least a day then steam to 203 before serving. Neither point nor flat come out tough.

Katz’s is EXCELLENT! But it doesn’t have anything on Meathead’s recipe. For me, the perfect sandwich will be all the Katz’s ingredients with the Close to Katz’s pastrami!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by richinlbrg; April 8, 2020, 04:21 PM.

Gotta agree, I love the pastrami recipe here as well, along with Doc Blonder's precise calculator. Takes all the guesswork out of making it.

Comment

Great to hear from you, I thought you'd been kidnapped. Fantastic post! I admit, I was very tempted to buy some Katz's pastrami when they were offering cutting boards made from their old countertops, but alas it was a splurge that I just wasn't comfortable making at the time. So I've never had Katz's....but I have a hard time imagining it being better than Mh's recipe. This kinda confirms my suspicion. Although, 2 questions arise in my mind: 1. Do you corn your own or use storebought corned beef? and 2. would fresh-at-the-counter be different than mail order?

Comment

Thank you, Huskee ! Kidnapping might have been fun!

I hadn’t heard about the cutting boards.

I have brined a brisket and started with corned beef. The latter being my reference. Easier and perhaps a more familiar flavor profile.

I think in person would undoubtedly be a better experience than mail order!

That said, I have a 4 star restaurant in the building next to my office, and am friendly with the owners, one of which is the amazing executive chef. I’ll sometimes give something I think I did well, and she’ll provide honest feedback. No feedback on the pastrami. She said she couldn’t improve upon it.

It is a splurge worth trying once! And don’t miss the full sour pickles, and anything else that grabs your attention.

Comment

There was a Katz's deli in Toronto until last May after 49 years in business.
          I don't know if had any ties to the location in New York, I never made it there much to my chagrin.
          But people raved about the pastrami and corned beef monster sandwiches.
          Really with you on the deli rye, warm out the oven I'd do in the whole loaf and not hate myself after words.
          My go to deli in the west end of the GTA is Pete's on Eglington, belly buster portions reasonably priced.

Comment

I'm with you, buddy. When I use the recipe here and I really nail it, it's hard to imagine there's better anywhere.

Comment

Yeah, I almost pulled the trigger when I looked at the cutting boards but the expense was just too much. Glad to know Meatheads recipe is right up there. I’ll wait until I visit and stop in to try it.

Comment

The original Close to Katz pastrami may be the best recipe on the site... except I could say that about half a dozen recipes here!

i usually make it right around this time of year, because corned beef is on sale. But it makes way too much for me and Mrs, so I take leftovers to work, and, well, there’s no work now. Maybe in a month or two.

Comment

• mnavarre
                  mnavarre commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you've got a vacuum sealer it freezes and reheats well. Just sayin'.

So glad to see your post, richinlbrg . Welcome back!

I've always been curious about ordering Katz' pastrami just to see what it would taste like. I'm with so many others here--Meathead's pastrami recipe is one of his very best.

Thanks for posting your comparison findings.

Kathryn

Comment

• richinlbrg
                  richinlbrg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am SO glad I ordered the package! Real NY deli rye, the pickles I grew up on and the Russian dressing!!!! Well worth it and I may order again! I recommend trying it even though our recipe is so good. Trust me, so is Katz's!
                  And thank you for your kind words!

I’ve had it at Katz’s and I mail ordered a pound once. It was so much better fresh at the deli that there really was no comparison. I agree that pastrami is the best recipe on this site and I’d put Meatheads recipe pretty much even to Katz’s. Here’s what I got at Katz’s.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	13D0C4F4-214D-49A7-BBD4-AC49F9CE05D2.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	828529 Here’s what I made at home with pastrami ordered from Katz’s.

Name:	E7A4879A-A14D-468B-9CA3-3A57107F46F7.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	828531

Name:	978ABBA0-8E87-44D0-B8C1-33D331E60B6B.jpeg
Views:	233
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	828530

Comment

• richinlbrg
                  richinlbrg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't make my sammies quite that big. I have at least a sandwich worth of meat left with no more rye.
                  Your comments do not surprise me one whit, but still good to get confirmation. Thank you!

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Holy smokes, what a sammich!

I can't remember much about their Russian dressing. I have been fiddling with mine. I'll share it after a couple more iterations.

Comment

• richinlbrg
                  richinlbrg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you!

Yep, one of my top favorite recipes on the site. I did a pastrami for dinner with some friends who've been to Katz's many times and they swear mine (meathead's) is way better.

Comment

I've had pastrami at Katz and Carnegie (while still open) in NYC, at Pete's in Toronto, Chompies in Scottsdale, and Katella's in Anaheim .... along with any other place that claims to make their own pastrami. I would rank them, in order of how great, as
                  1. Katz
                  2. Carnegie (now closed)
                  3. Pete's
                  4. Chompies
                  5. Katella's
                  And I think Meathead Close to Katz is as good as Katz and probably better than Carnegie .... I've never ordered from any of them, just seemed wrong to do

Pastrami at Katz a couple years ago

Name:	IMG_0202.png
Views:	257
Size:	481.1 KB
ID:	828755

Pastrami at Carnegie

Name:	IMG_3653.png
Views:	190
Size:	470.4 KB
ID:	828756

Comment

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Pete's is pretty damned good .... don't worry about fries. Sammich, pickle, slaw is where it's at

• Meathead
                    Meathead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Blushing!

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Meathead credit where it’s due! I worked in NYC for a couple years and made weekly trips to Carnegie and Katz ... Every time I make your pastrami, I fall in love with it all over again :-)

This has inspired me to smoke my corned beefs next week and make some killer pastrami sandwiches. Can't promise there'll be rye bread, and there won't be Russian dressing or sour kraut (cuz I don't like 'em) but there will be havarti cheese, mustard and dill pickles. Maybe a panini press.

Comment

I have had both their in store, and their mail order. In store is WAAAAY better than the mail order. The one I got in the post was nothing special at all.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Suspicions confirmed. I suppose mail order is great if you want it w/o begin able to smoke your own at home.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis