Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National Carbonara Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Carbonara Day

My mother-in-law notified me that today was National Spaghetti Carbonara day. It’s one of my all time favorites. So, when in Rome...(Hays) make carbonara. Besides, that last bit of pancetta from my pancetta Christmas gift needs to be eaten.

Recipe:

Cube 8 -16 oz pancetta into lardons.
    olive oil
    3-4 garlic cloves - minced
    3 eggs
    Parmesan cheese 8oz or so - finely grated (microplane if possible).
    1 lb spaghetti.
    Pepper
    salt

Cube pancetta and cook through to desired appearance. Can use a dollop of olive oil.

Put pancetta and some of its delicious fat in a large mixing bowl (that you will use to toss spaghetti).

Drain off some of fat

Sauté the garlic then add to the pancetta.

Crack 3 eggs into a bowl and whisk. Add pepper and garlic 2/3-3/4 of the cheese and mix into a thick mixture and add fresh cracked pepper.

Boil the spaghetti in salted water. Once cooked drained and add to large the mixing bowl with the pancetta and garlic. Then add the egg and Parmesan mixture and toss the pancetta, garlic, and eggs together. The heat from the noodles will cook the eggs.

Now Serve

I serve it with some fresh cracked pepper and extra Parmesan.

Attached Files

molto buono, Paisano!
    I'd do a Triple Lindy offa Th High Dive, right into that plate of goodness!!!!
    Be safe, an well, Brother!
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 6, 2020, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks fer them kind words!
      Brisky's a comin; fortunately some semi thawin, an a cooler fulla ice has bought me some time, won't have to fight it as hard as was th initial case. Partial thaw, at least.
      Nonetheless, it'll be a challenge, no doubt!
      I'll be sharin it up, rye cheer!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thinkin hard on trimmin (it needs it), separatin point an flat)
      Never have done neither...

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve only done a few briskets only. I do like them. I did separate the flat and point on one prior to cooking and another I separated after getting to 170ish. Got them to color and temp with good bark and wrapped. They were tasty.
      The plane between the two muscles is pretty easy to dissect apart. And easier if you cook a bit before you separate.
      Can’t say that the taste in the meat was that much different when cooking the whole brisket v. Separately. Liked both. No complaints from guests

One of my favorites, need to make it soon.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine too, lookin forward to both our results!

I'm always antsy about the raw eggs in carbonara, since most eggs sold in the US have salmonella, according to Consumer Reports. I know the heat of the pasta is supposed to cook them, but I'm still skeptical. I wish you all could chill me out on that issue. I guess I could temp the carbonara to make sure it's 165° once everything is mixed together.

In the meanwhile, I continue to buy pasturized eggs (not to be confused with pasture-raised eggs, which my daughter did once ) and feel safer with carbonara made with them. There are recipes out there to pasturize your own eggs in the Instant Pot which I would probably resort to if pasturized eggs were not available.

Carbonara is one of my fav Italian dishes, especially with some peas added. Thanks for your post, photos, and recipe, Sweaty Paul .

Kathryn

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      All I can say is that I have been making it for years; fed it to my kids and they loved it. Maybe I've just been lucky, cause until I to AR I never really cooked by temperature, just by time and feel. I use Eggland's Best mostly now, but over the years I usually just used supermarket brands (though not Walmart brand eggs; had some bad ones from there a few times).

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis