Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other beekeepers out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other beekeepers out there?

I have a couple top bar hives in the back yard. Suburban setting. Neighbors never complained. How about you?

Nope but alot do hang around our garden daily. Nice to hear they are becoming a scarcity.

Comment

One of my neighbors just put in a hive, I'm not too thrilled about it as I suspect the placement was intentionally malicious towards another neighbor they've had disputes with in the past. They are far enough away from my lot that unless he gets a grumpy queen my dogs should be fine. We're on half to full acre lots in the neighborhood, but the hive is placed about 15 feet from where a lot of the neighborhood kids play.

I definately respect responsible beekeepers, I grew up on a farm that had a fantastic group of hives and always had fresh honey. Not something I have the time or patience for myself though.

Comment

• fracmeister
        fracmeister commented
        Editing a comment
        If there is a (solid) fence it probably wouldn't be an issue. They don't usually go up, over and down... and most beehives are pot on the exterior of the lot... all that is just me saying I try not to default to believing malicious intent. Lets hope there are no problems!

Did until we moved to a place that gets weekly mosquito control spraying. Loved it. We had a thread awhile back with several members talking about their hives. IowaGirl , didn’t you have some?

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Donw - Are you on the Eastern Shore?

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, south of Ocean City right next to Assateague Island. Dewesq55

I've got three hives. All died out over winter, and I'm not sure I'll fill them again this year. Maybe take a year off. But hubby is wanting to take more of a role in the beekeeping, so we'll see.

Comment

I'd love to set some up if I got out of town. Dad had a hive growing up. Those are quite the mathematical little boogers that's for sure.

Comment

I’m hoping to one day

Comment

Sort of. We plant gardens to attract wild bees. So we get thousands of bumble bees and orchard mason bees and don't have to deal with what to do with the honey.

Comment

I make elderberry syrup and elderflower syrup with the honey. (Hubby has almost an acre of elderberry bushes too.) We've made a little mead as well (honey wine). I also use it when canning -- honey sweetened home-canned peaches are to die for.

But yes, it can be hard to find uses for the honey without some related passion that involves the use of honey.

Keeping bees on a hobby level is a really, really expensive way to get honey and beeswax. Keep bees because you want to keep bees, not because you're hoping to get "free" honey. If you just want honey, you'll be money ahead to buy it from a local beekeeper.

Comment

Growing up in NJ a friend of my Grandmother had bees. We would visit them a couple of times a year and bring home some honey. Nice folks. Thanks for the memory refresher!

Comment

Second year beekeeper here! I've got 2 hives on my 1 acre plot. They play real nice with the chickens. It's been a fun new hobby over the last year or so. Both hives died out in late February this year. I'm pretty sure I know what the problem was. Installed 2 new nucs about 3 weeks ago, so we'll give it a go again this year!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200516_183829.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	858734

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis