Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covington-19 virus update. Sorta.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covington-19 virus update. Sorta.

I know most of us is goin through at least some different times. Figgered I’d vent a little about some of the things that I go thru or observe. Got the idea when my wife asked me who I was talkin to cuz I was talkin to two plates, a fork & the dishwasher. Told her “I have to talk to somebody, it’s either that or the “other” guy.”
    - I really look forward to walking my dog, .............every day!
    - My wife was excited to go to her cancer treatment yesterday.
    - I find it amazing when I talk to one of my neighbors & think: “geez this is a real live person I’m talking to”.

I kinda have the opposite perspective. I value my alone time and I don't get the extra most others are getting since I still have to go to work and see more patients than normal now. We shared a whisky sour with two different friends of ours yesterday evening via Zoom meet-ups, that was fun. I miss my friends but I don't miss the public.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      TJMagneto 12.5 unless a dayshifter can't come in I have to stay until a replacement arrives

• Macktechie
      Macktechie commented
      Editing a comment
      Be safe out there. I am right there with you just not on patient care side.

• BigCountryQ
      BigCountryQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with you Huskee My wife is an RN, so I can relate to what you're going through with the stress of this mess. And also, thank you for your service and dedication to helping those less fortunate. I'm much like you and prefer the quietness of my basement office while I work from home. It's been great staying away from people. Although, I'm very much looking forward to a big BBQ celebration once the pool can open. I'm not sure if it's going to be 75° tomorrow or 28°.

Want to see something totally messed up. Been 2 weeks in quarantine here for everyone and they make the pensioners line up all night to collect their money. 45f outside at night. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21L2Y6

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Same thing here and in our area 3 people died waiting in the long queues. Very sad.

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      I liked your post but i really meant unlike. Very sad whats happening. Pretty much a world war 3. Us against the virus...

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      That is ridiculous.

I thought those eyes were looking even bigger!
    I know what you mean. I'm use to meetings with a number of people several times a week and getting out and about. Not so much now. ZOOM is not the same.
    Trip to the drive up Starbucks high point of my day.
    My daughter and her partner are coming over shortly with some TP and I'm really looking forward to it! (not just for the paper either)

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      So ya had to mull over what was most valued did ya?

We've only been at it for 8 days but even so I'm finding it hard to motivate myself, everyday gets a little worse.
    No routine anymore and the day and time doesnt make much sense.
    Up all hours.
    When we learnt we were going into lockdown I thought all that time to do so many things "yippie." One plan being experimental cooks, but I'm finding it hard to find the drive and the passion.
    The first time I left the house to visit a store I felt like a naughty schoolboy. It was kinda weird.
    Be strong and best to you and the missus and derbster.
    If the plates etc. start answering you back get help quickly.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      The Derbster is the one I talk to most!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Cook for others, that helps a lot!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker I've been doin th same same, helps me a lot, an others, as well. I love havin time to do so, at present!

Originally posted by holehogg View Post
    We've only been at it for 8 days but even so I'm finding it hard to motivate myself, everyday gets a little worse.
    No routine anymore and the day and time doesnt make much sense.
    Up all hours.
    Make one. Doesn't have to be the same as when things are normal, but as someone who works from home all the time, it's important to make your own routine.

Mine is a reflection of a normal work day... up, coffee, sit down at desk (I have a home office), etc. At 430 or 5pm, grab the laptop and 'go home', that is into the TV room. That's M-F. Weekends I don't use the home office at all. That differentiates things for me. Psychologically the home office is 'at work' and the rest of the house is 'at home'.

It's kind of the same as training your brain the bedroom is for sleep and, ah, other things. Not where you go after dinner to watch TV, to read for hours, etc. Once I did that, I found it much easier to go to sleep.

This entire thing seems to be hardest on extroverts and on people who previously had their days structured by a job and especially for people who can't really work from home because of what they do.

The first time I left the house to visit a store I felt like a naughty schoolboy. It was kinda weird.
    Same. Definitely weird.
    Last edited by rickgregory; April 4, 2020, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      rickgregory excellent post. I have had to work from home since this started and it drives me nuts. My job entails driving daily to visit multiple dealerships during the day. Checking on my dealers, dropping off checks, picking up contracts and shaking hands all day. I am an extrovert and love seeing and talking to people. I appreciate your post.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Zoom with those people if it makes sense and you can. Not the same but it's more contact than email etc.

FireMan What's Covington?

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup! Spellcheck strikes again! Just when I thought it was safe to go into the water.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      FireMan You want me to edit it, or has it grown on you?

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe put it in parentheses for ad em memorium. Does that sound Latin?

Things are getting easier for me at home as I settle in more and more. At first it was tough to isolate since I live alone and I am now working from home.

I was working out at Orange Theory Fitness for 2 years and when it shut down because of the VID, I was SOL. So I had to improvise. I never could run outside because I was so heavy, but after losing all the weight over the past few years and with the closure, , I knew I could now run outside and I really don't need the treadmill anymore. So, I pushed myself to do so. I also bought a Concept 2 Rower and some kettle bells, plates, and dumbbells. Now, I have my home/patio gym set up and I make a point to workout and run everyday to keep my mind right.I have been rowing a ton everyday. I am up too 6 miles a da, which is a big deal for me.

I am also cooking a ton of food for people and making deliveries. That has been a real big help for me and others.

Working from home was a huge adjustment as I work on a trading floor and I am used to the hustle and bustle of our office. Now things are different but I am adjusting because I have too. So I might as well make the best of it. So I am getting more organized, making more calls and really making an effort to connect with my customers and vendors. We also have a standing happy hour on Zoom at 5 PM everyday, so that makes it fun to see they guys from the office.

So I guess I am taking this time to better myself in other ways. I kinda told myself to use this time as a personal challenge to do things better.

More than anything, I am thankful for my health and the health of my family and friends.

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker How do you like that rower? I have been wanting one for a while. I would love one of the Wayer Rowers but those are a bit spendy. The Concept one was on my list.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothing beats a Concept 2. I usually use the water rower at OTF. These are way better. Water rower are closer to actual rowing, maybe, but the USA rowing team, world rowing championships and the NCAA all use Concept 2s. That is good enough for me. Plus they are much easier to move around, you get a much smoother stroke and then are more comfortable to do distance rowing. Concept 2s are the best out there, I am not sure how I am gonna go back to the water rower once my gym reopens. JoeSousa

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Wait! You bought MORE METAL!?! Couldn't you just wave around some of that CI!?!

In certain terms, things haven't changed. Being retired, my days are hanging out at home, going on our regular walk and I watch simulcast of 98.5 The Sports Hub. Being not a lot of sports to talk about they've done a great job. Brady, Free Agency and the draft are top subjects.
    What has changed is not seeing my grandsons other from a distance and going to stores and out to eat are a void. This week I went to a Liquor store with curbside pickup. I didn't know what to expect. It wasn't bad. Guy was outside, asked what I ordered. He brought it out. I took the contents out of the bag and box that were in. Put them in a Coleman cooler, closed the lid. When home took cooler out, wiped down everything with wipes, and placed them in garage till the next day. That was a different experience. Hope things settle down so we can get out of town this summer.

Comment

Always been the solitude type so nothing out of the ordinary, other than shoppjng, which includes passing up my 4am bedtime in order to get to Walmart by 730am before the masses arrive.

As I got to my truck at 745am-ish a guy noted to me the large number of people now lined up to enter the store, zero line at 730am.

It'll be an absolute miracle if I don't get it at work. The plant is being very proactive and doing all they can do. Was on standby yesterday so they could super sanitize the facility.

Comment

Believe it or not, I'm an introvert and am quite happy not to leave the house except to shop for food. I've also been working mostly from home (probably close to 85% of the time) for over 25 years now. For me, things really haven't changed much except that SWMBO is home way more than she used to be. :-)
        I really do have a lot of sympathy for all of those extroverts, and for those who are either not used to working from home or god forbid cannot work at all. Unfortunately, I think we're in this for the long haul. :-(

Comment

I had my first Zoom meeting yesterday. It was with several professional colleagues in the same boat (pure solo practitioners who are functionally out of work). It was really nice to talk to somebody other than Barbara for a change, not that I don't like talking to her!

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            I talk to my Barbara all the time to, sometimes.

My day is pretty much going to work at the imaging center, go home and decompress.

Comment

Whenever I here or see ZOOM I think of “ to the moon Alice, to the moon. One of these days.”
            Been on “it” a few times in the last 3 weeks. They say house arrest for another 3 to 7 weeks. Hmmm, another month or two. Why did “they” say 3 and figger 7 as an ending point. Couldn’t they have said 4 to 6 or 8. What’s with the odd numbers.
            I saw a tutorial was advised how to make a cloth face coverin out of a kerchief. I don’t need that, I watched enough Lone Ranger & Gunsmoke to figger that out.
            Then again if’n ya seed my avatar, wore a black bandanny many a time.
            Last edited by FireMan; April 4, 2020, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Is that your Zoom avatar too? I bet it would incite a lot of chuckles, especially if you commented and it became full screen.

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              A friend of mine who works in a grocery store has had a bit of a concern with the masks. He works night shift in a not so great part of town. Are they being cautious or going to rob me?

Well as I also have to self quarantine because my tenet had to get tested today. He is experiencing every symptom 😬. I am afraid for him cause he has issues. I’m kinda freaking out. And I never do that.
            Ain’t pointing no fingers, hell this is not the time, And won’t ever be. We’re all in this together.
            Just hope we can stay safe and healthy.
            Thanks for putting this up FireMan

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Stay as strong as you can. Keep an eye on your tenant if he has no one else to do it for him.

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              ofelles The cough and heavy chest/breathing has become the new normal for me. This has been going on since January. Once this all dies down hopefully they can resume testing and figure out WTH is going on.
              Thanks for the thoughts my friend. 👊

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              tbob4 We’re trying. So far so good. 👍
              I’m more worried about my tenet cause he’s not the healthiest person around.
              He’s still waiting on the test results. Should know by Wednesday or Thursday. We’ve got his back if he needs us. He does have family around.
              Thanks for the thoughts my brother. 👊👊
              Last edited by Steve B; April 9, 2020, 09:00 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis