Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any chance of an amazing ribs app in the future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheSmokingYeti
    replied
    The mobile version works perfect on my iPhone 6. Just perfect. Save the link to your home screen and bam! It's an "app"

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    replied
    "How to make the Pitmasters Club better." Now that is interesting. I'm just going to write off the top of my head, so this will be a little scattered.

Let's consider how people use the club, and how the club presents itself to members. First, by taking the number of pages in the member list and multiplying by 10 per page, there are about 6300 members. Not bad!

My observation is that TPC has two primary components that are distinct from Amazing Ribs: the forums and the video seminars.

Myself, I've never tuned into a seminar. I keep reminding myself to, but I haven't done it yet. But it looks like many members have found value there, especially the brisket, the smoke ring, and the Weber Smokey Mountain seminars, with over 3000 views for each. So that's a place where we'd want to look to expand.

The forum takes on the pattern that is very common: a small number of very active users and moderators, a lot of casual posters, and a large number of one-time posters and lurkers who come for the information rather than the interaction.

Let's use Shirky's term for the first group: let's call it the core group, "the group within the group that matters the most." The core group matters the most not because of any status of closeness, but because that group cares the most; they have the most invested socially and emotionally. These are the people who answer the questions that the casual posters and one time posters ask. The core group is essential to serving the community; without a strong, positive core, a community dies. I can think of one bbq related forum that was good, and friendly, but never developed a core; the last post was about a year ago, asking if the forum was still active. I can think of another, Roguefood, that spun off from Roadfood. There was a strong core, but it was not friendly. Roguefood also died.

The Pitmaster Forum has a good core. People here know how to welcome people. (I believe a good part of that is because you have to pay to join. Folks get seriously invested pretty quickly, even if it's only a few bucks. Those who use social media to advance their own emotional agendas tend to gravitate to places like Reddit.) There is a strong dynamic at work here. This group will thrive. The common denominator, outdoor cooking, is both narrow in scope and deep in thrust: it welcomes specific people cutting across all society, and then gives them almost unlimited room to discuss anything from gas grills to tandoori ovens, from burgers to shad roe, from deals to restaurants to pets to weather.

So how can the forum improve? Well, for one, forum members like to talk about things that aren't related to the topic at hand! Invariably we start wondering about each other. The General Discussion area here is not really well organized for that sort of thing. Make two areas: one "General BBQ and cooking discussion" and the other "Off topic banter".

How about meetups? BBQ crawls?

I have to get back to work, I'll add to this later.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Vojtek
    replied
    I don't think an app is necessary...The only app i can think off is one where we can type in what we're cooking and it gives information about temperatures - techniques etc... but all that info is easily available here.. Maybe a ' troubleshooting app ' if things are going wrong etc.. but once again all the info is here...or can be answered by folks here ...i think a bookmark is all that's needed ... IMHO.. BBQ Bill Wyko mentioned an app 'link' to this website - just wants to access this site via an app - now that could be doable and i'm not a software guy - i don't know what's involved ... just my 2 cent's ...

Leave a comment:

• bsim36
    replied
    Originally posted by Meathead View Post
    My focus is now on how to make The Pitmaster Club better. Suggestions?
    Off the top of my head - monthly competitions. Here's how it works:

Last Saturday of the month, moderators announce the following month's competition. i.e 5/30/15, announce the competition for June as "Last meal ribs". Post the recipe.

Contestants have the whole month of June to submit their entries to the contest, within the contest thread. Submission requires:
    1) Recipe alterations (+ this, - that, etc)
    2) Before Q pic (as the meat hits the grill)
    3) After Q pic (pulling off the grill)
    4) Plated presentation pic (entrants choice)
    5) 1 sentence description on how it turned out

Moderators choose the winner based evenly between:
    1) Alterations/creativity
    2) Picture quality
    3) Presentation/Description

Monthly winner gets the next year of Pitmaster club comped.

My $0.02...

Leave a comment:

• Meathead
    replied
    We are looking into something for thermometers, but as our site becomes more mobile friendly, I'm not sure what we can offer in an app that we can't offer on the web. Not the least bit interested in tracking and all that crap. Just interested in delivering great content. If you guys have suggestions of what we can do with an app that we can't do with the website, let me know. My focus is now on how to make The Pitmaster Club better. Suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• mhalbrook
    replied
    And if you've got an Android, and use Chrome, you can save the link to the desktop. I think there's some code coming that may be worth looking in to that will let Chrome on the phone/tablet create an "App" link and also let a site PUSH notifications to the phones via Chrome/Google Now.

Leave a comment:

• wile_e8
    replied
    I'm not as paranoid about tracking as Lost in China (they can track you just as much on their web site), but if the web site is optimized for mobile you don't really need an app. The Pit has a pretty good mobile layout, and while I think the main site could have a better layout (the two column thing always looked weird to me, and the way they mix on the phone doubly so), it still works. I don't see what advantages apps would provide to justify the extra work supporting multiple platforms. Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    replied
    Originally posted by Lost in China View Post
    "Website in an app" is for large companies that want to keep you in their ecosystem. Every click can be tracked and every movement analyzed. After going to all the trouble of downloading and learning how to use their app, you're more likely to stay with them than move to their competitors. I'm not really sure what benefit this site would get from an app, and it would be an additional cost that must be fixed when buggy, upgraded to fit the newest version of Android, etc.
    DK On Pittsburgh Sports is a 1 man (and wife) operation with Android, iPad, and iPhone apps. It can be done.

Leave a comment:

• Lost in China
    replied
    You can still pull it up on your phone, the website works just fine. An app does the same thing, but it allows the company that owns it to better track and analyze everything you do.

Leave a comment:

• omnipotence20
    replied
    I dunno, I'd kinda like it. I'd love to be able pull it up on my phone and have quick access to all the grilling articles when I'm at the smoker. Besides, Meathead is going to be rolling in the dough from his forthcoming book sales. He can spring for the extra tech support. ;-) kidding of course.

Leave a comment:

• Lost in China
    replied
    "Website in an app" is for large companies that want to keep you in their ecosystem. Every click can be tracked and every movement analyzed. After going to all the trouble of downloading and learning how to use their app, you're more likely to stay with them than move to their competitors. I'm not really sure what benefit this site would get from an app, and it would be an additional cost that must be fixed when buggy, upgraded to fit the newest version of Android, etc.

Leave a comment:

• BBQ Bill Wyko
    started a topic Any chance of an amazing ribs app in the future?

Any chance of an amazing ribs app in the future?

I'd like to be able to go to the site via an app link, just wondering if there's a way to do it now of if it maybe in the future.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis