Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heroic care givers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heroic care givers

First of all, I want to say thank you to all of the care givers in our midst. I just saw a story that brought tears even to my old insensitive eyes. An elderly woman in isolation in a hospital in Renton, WA was dying alone, so one of her nurses PPE'd up and used her phone to face time the woman's children so they could say bye to their mom. The news reporter cried while she was reporting the story. These type heroics can't go unrewarded. I, for one, won't go back to just taking these folks for granted. I plan on thanking each one I see from here on out. They are up there with the military in my book.

I know that there are lots more people going over and above; grocery clerks, janitors, pharmacists, the list goes on. They get my thanks as well.

Even though this is a tragic story, it brought some joy to my hard old heart and I just wanted to share it; now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Well said.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

I have a sister and a niece that are nurses, I am scared for they're safety.
    They are indeed angels of mercy, I pray they stay safe.
    ….and this comes from a man who doesn't pray for much in this world....
    Last edited by smokin fool; March 30, 2020, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll add them to my prayer list.Please thank them for me.

My stepson's wife's mother (howzat for complicated?) is an ER nurse in one of the big hospitals in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Erin is worried sick about her mom, and with good reason. Even at the best of times, ER staff have to deal with awful things, especially in large cities.

Erin also tells me her mom is passionate about being an ER nurse. I guess Erin and I will both worry about her mom ... and be grateful that there are dedicated people like her who are able and willing to do these tough jobs.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank her for me. As an aside, when I was in high school I had a summer job as a runner in a hospital ER in Detroit. It was an amazing job - I saw a lot that stayed with me.

Thanks for this post. These folks, and many others including grocery store workers, truck drivers, drive-thru (food, bank, pharmacy) workers and many others are still helping others in their own ways and we need them. How thankful we are they're there.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome. And you are right. I know I took lots of stuff for granted.

Thanx for posting this - great reminder. One of our closest friend's is a nurse as is one of her sons and his wife - all good people.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      When you talk to them, tell them I said thanks.

Our older daughter is a pharmacy tech at a major chain. We worry about her a lot--one of her co-workers has symptoms and has been tested, but with no results yet. So far our daughter is healthy, as are the two grandbabies under 18 months. Had a great Zoom meeting with them this afternoon...

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Fingers crossed for your daughter's health. Barbara was a pharmacy tech at CVS for several years before going to work for the hospital.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      My fingers are crossed too. My daughter is an in home nurse with one disabled kid as her caseload. So I am not as worried about her - the patient's parents are very careful, and narrowed down the caregivers to my daughter and one other night nurse.

Barbara (my S.O.) is a nursing student and part-time PCA (patient care associate/nurse's aide) at one of our 2 local hospitals. While I am staying at home virtually 100% of the time now, she still has to work her shifts. Her usual floor in the 4 floor hospital, has been made into a Covid-19 floor. That means that many of her patients are confirmed "positive" and the rest are "test results pending." Frankly, it scares the sh*t out of me for her and for me. After every shift, she comes in through the garage where she strips down, leaving her scrubs on the garage floor, walks in and goes directly to the shower while shouting a quick hello. So far, so good.

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      Please thank her for us.

I can only imagine how hard you're cooking for her to keep yourself occupied while she's at work.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on Jim White comment. Tell her she is a hero, and she has my thanks.

Great thread. Please let us all remember the sacrifices that have been made and are still being made by very caring people. Hero's. These folks step up to the plate regardless of circumstances, risking their safety and well being to help those that can't help themselves and others in need. Makes me proud to see these kinds of stories to help offset all of the bad ones we hear.

Comment

Huskee aren't you on the front lines of this being a respiratory therapist? Are you being exposed on a daily basis? Man, if so please take every precaution!

Comment

• TJMagneto
        TJMagneto commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm sure that you are getting runned ragged as of late. Take care.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee, I am old and I forget stuff, like the fact that you do respiratory work. So as well as being my hero for your work on AR, now you are a double hero. And my homeboy on top of all that!!!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I was a drywalller then a blown cellulose insulator for many years crawling through attics & crawlspaces year round. Even briefly did concrete (the physically hardest job on green earth imo). Like you all I just do my job on good days and bad, right now it's hairy but eventually this will pass. Certainly no hero.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    Rubs Promo
    Meat-Up in Memphis