Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ham Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ham Radio

Other than w0nq any ham radio people out there?

I was licensed back in 2011 but didn't do much with it with two young kids at the time. Now with all that's going on in the world today have been thinking about getting back in to it.

KB3WRE

Licensed here... no active shack, due to bein in a rental. 3rd gen HAM, here...Gpa's shack was shut down by WWII, me da was a code interceptor PTO WWII, Signal Radio Intelligence Cos 119th, 130th...

Onliest rig I have at present is an RT-524/R-442 24 volt military vehicle radio, what usedta reside in my 86 CUCV...still have a practice J-38 next to my br puter, I keep th cobwebs clear by practicin frequently...

If I git summat to play with, soon, it'd likely be a HT type deal, since I storm chase.
    73!
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 30, 2020, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      BTW You ever hear of EchoLink? No radio needed.

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      The first Gulf war broke out when I was in bootcamp. I tried to go active duty as soon as I got home from Gulfport but the Navy wouldn't let me. I guess someone up high was looking over my shoulder on that one for me. I was young and indestructible at the time if you know what I mean.

I moved around a lot as a younger guy and was in FSU-1 in Pittsburgh which I believe later became 23, next I went to 21 when I moved to Chicago, then FSU-3 in Columbia, SC, finally 14 in Tampa.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Razor Had been almost 1 year outta my initial active duty (first hitch), got recalled (My reserve unit didn't, guvmint cherry-picked a dream team, immediately deployable unit, from prior combat vets), an sent on a lovely vacay in th Sandbox, all expenses paid! Who was I to say no to such an offer?

I might have had some slight association with the hobby (like since I was 12). I’m no longer active ... but here’s a couple of well-used blasts from the past to help me remember what once was:

Click image for larger version

Name:	EF48AA51-DA4B-4A64-9ABE-9AC19BC83EFB.jpeg
Views:	233
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	822786

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      nice keys, Brother!!!
      never have had me a paddle/bug...man, that would take me some gittin usedta!

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      MC is on my bucket list. I have too much going on right now to be able to learn that. My head is so scrambled between work and kids it wouldn’t be worth trying.

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      BTW you use EchoLink at all? No radios needed.

(. - -) (. -) (. . .)

Comment

Hmmmm, ham goes under pork recipes.

Comment

Been a ham off and on since 1957. Have a shack but no antenna at the moment. By the way, MBMorgan, nice keys. I have a couple of each and still know how to use them.

Comment

I got a handheld for Christmas. My goal is to get licensed this year.

Comment

I was wondering if there was any interest in trying to get together on EchoLink. All I have is a handheld at the moment. I want to relearn everything I forgot and then get a little setup for the house. We had a condo before this so I kind of fell out of staying on top of things.

Comment

Brings back good memories. This newspaper photo from 1965 shows where I got interested in amateur radio and code. Our troop as well as others across NC used light semaphores located in the top of fire towers to send messages and relay them across several counties as part of Civil Defense exercises. We were the backup system in case of EMP. Boy I was so young then.🙂
          Click image for larger version

Name:	973161ED-013D-4538-9CE4-5E65AC0D8697.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	822910

Comment

Back in the 70's, before the advent of video games and cable TV, I was into the hobby of "DXing", starting with my dad's car radio at night in the driveway, and later with a portable AM/FM radio, and later with a Radio Shack table top shortwave, with a huge wire dipole antenna strung between pine trees in the back yard, and antenna and ground wires coming into my bedroom window. I still have a box somewhere in the attic with my collection of DX cards from radio stations all over the world.

I still have the old Realistic receiver, but its kaput, and just gives a buzzing noise on all bands - I am sure the capacitors or something all need to be replaced. I've lately been shopping around the Internet for a decent BUDGET general purpose receiver, possibly with SSB and such features, but haven't found one yet. Certainly nothing affordable that is a table top model, about the only thing under $100 is something like the Tecsun PL-660.

If anyone has recommendations for a decent portable or tabletop radio, I'm all ears. Heck - even a decent table top AM/FM receiver would be great. My kids got me one a few years ago, a Crosley or some such, that has horrible horrible selectivity - I cannot pick up nearby FM stations without interference from adjacent stations that are stronger.

Comment

I have a general license and keep it current but I am not active. I plan on setting up a shack when I retire two years from now.

Comment

I prefer bacon radio...

Comment

I’m studying to pass the Tech and General license tests right now. I’m hoping to take them in July. I’ll let you know what my sign is if I pass and get set up.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lookin forward to ya joinin th flock, Brother!
                    73!
                    Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 21, 2020, 03:20 AM.

• snowswamp
                    snowswamp commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Just passed the Tech and General test today. I need to wait for my call sign and I’ll be in the air.

This post brings back some good memories. I’ve been inactive for decades now. Got into it when I was 15. Long time ago. No longer have radio equipment, so that would be part of the challenge to re-establish.
                  YV1-EHB
                  Cheers.
                  Ricardo

Comment

• Graniteboy
                    Graniteboy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey guys - hello to all

I'm new to this thing - still just checking it out but ran across this surprising topic and had to reply. I've been a ham for a bit longer than I've been smoking fish and meat - 50 years now and still going strong. It has been an amazing hobby and have made many good friends worldwide through it. My favorite mode is (cw) - I dearly do love morse code. Thought I would join the pit as I am currently waiting for delivery of my Karubacue. N9EAJ

• Ricardo
                    Ricardo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hello @Graniteboy,
                    Welcome and good to hear you are active and that you are waiting for your KBQ. There are tons of resources here on the KBQ, with loyal followers willing, wanting and able to share their insights. Don’t hesitate to ask and seek input.

Enjoy,
                    Ricardo

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis