Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is Getting COVID-19 Like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is Getting COVID-19 Like

Now that she is on the mend and has talked about it publicly, I can tell you guys that my wife had COVID-19. She’s been very ill all week. Rather than tell you about it myself, I’ll just post what Stacy just said on Facebook

—————————————————————-

Hey friends and family, some news to share with all of you now that I feel able to do so.

On Monday afternoon I started showing symptoms of COVID-19, a mild cough in my chest. By that evening, I was coughing and having shortness of breath. We isolated Eric and myself right away and kept Jordan at her dads house and Karyn at her moms house, so we know they are okay. Eric never showed any symptoms.

By Tuesday at noon I had a fever, chills, body aches, coughing and shortness of breath that felt like asthma must feel and a 30lb weight on my chest. Eric got very concerned and took me to a testing site. A nurse practitioner that works in epidemiology diagnosed me as “presumed positive” for COVID-19, but did not have me tested since I’m under 60 and have no other health risks.

I pretty much was completely out on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. I didn’t eat until Thursday evening (half of a cup o noodles, sick and twisted way to lose 4-5 lbs). But by Friday AM I was able to get up and move around, drink some tea and eat more noodles with sauce. Today I’m able to do some light household chores and feel good enough that I asked Eric to cook steak for dinner.

What worked for me was over the counter meds .... Delsym cough syrup, Tylenol, and Sudafed. It kept the symptoms from getting too bad. I also drank orange juice, tonic water, and took emergen-C to help my immune system.

The symptoms go from zero to REALLY BAD very quickly. If you think you have this, you need to pay attention right away. And start taking care of yourself right away.

Sorry I haven’t been in touch with folks, but now you know why. I’m still self quarantined for a few more days, but feeling immensely better and on the mend.
    Staying cautious! 😷Stay home!😷

Glad for your good news.

Comment

Glad your wife is getting better. I had similar but milder symptoms in January that I passed off as a respiratory infection but it was strange in that it was different than anyone else at work had (flu goes through the office every year) and no one else ever showed the same symptoms. Makes me wonder if I caught it early on? Or maybe a different presentation of the flu that others had? I meet a few of international travelers at the local brewery - my main hang out. Everyday while sick I drank a shot of an elderberry elixir that my friend's wife makes to ward off illnesses.
      Last edited by 58limited; March 29, 2020, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Thank you for sharing. Happy hear your wife is recovering. That had to be a scary and a helpless feeling. Take care of yourself too.
        Last edited by RichieB; March 29, 2020, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Whew, glad to see she's doing okay. Give Stacy a virtual hug from us, Eric, and you take care as well.

Oh, and once she's out of quarantine she is free to move about the country without fear!
          Last edited by CaptainMike; March 29, 2020, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• Texas Larry
            Texas Larry commented
            Editing a comment
            What he said👍🙏🏻.

Good to hear she’s getting better. Hopefully you don’t come down with it as well!

Comment

Delighted she's back up, an on th mend, Eric!

Comment

Just so everyone knows, the epidemiologist believes that I was a carrier with no symptoms. I have never shown any symptoms at all.

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Blues1 thanks for the wishes ... it’s been scary for sure. Especially wondering how many people I may have impacted and never know it.

• Skip
                Skip commented
                Editing a comment
                ecowper our best your Wife and You. Thanks for sharing your story.

• ColonialDawg
                ColonialDawg commented
                Editing a comment
                This is where a good and available antibody test would be useful. I think a lot of people have already been exposed or had mild symptoms and never knew it (first US cases were in January). That being said, never assume that. There are many healthy young people who quickly develop SARDs for no reason at all.

I’m glad your wife has recovered and you are healthy.

Wow! Glad you’re both ok!!!

Comment

Glad to hear your wife is on the mend and thanks for the first hand account of the symptoms - enough to put the scare in all of us. The motto in the Pit should be stick to Sous Vide rather than Covid.

Comment

Here's hoping the improvement continues. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Wow! So glad she is going to be okay. As for you, please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Comment

Thanks for the post, Glad she on the mend.

Comment

As an update .... I have never shown any symptoms at all. And I’m as close physically as you can possibly be with someone that has COVID-19. The epidemiological nurse practitioner believes that I am a carrier with no symptoms. She quarantined me along with Stacy, for obvious reasons. When Stacy’s quarantine is over, I am also able to go out and about and neither of us will have any restrictions at all.

Comment

• rickgregory
                          rickgregory commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I... would not assume that you're safe. The nurse may well be correct, but if she's not... you could die. Not something I'd risk on a conversation with a nurse.

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
                        Just so everyone knows, the epidemiologist believes that I was a carrier with no symptoms. I have never shown any symptoms at all.
                        I intend no offense here nor am I trying to be a smart a** but since so little seems to be known about this virus inquiring minds may want to know. Do you know you are not still a carrier, if you were, and if not still a carrier how was that determined?

Comment

• ecowper
                          ecowper commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You’re not being a smart ass at all ... this is based purely on a short period of time with an epidemiological nurse practitioner diagnosing my wife and I. We have no more basis for it than that. She gave both of us guidelines for our quarantine. That’s all we can go by

• wu7y
                          wu7y commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for the reply and the info. I am glad that all seems to have turned well for both of you. I hope it continues. Be well.

• ecowper
                          ecowper commented
                          Editing a comment
                          wu7y thanks for the great wishes .... shared this so that people know what we know, which is likely more direct facts than most people are getting. It was pretty scary for a few days. All I can say is thank goodness my wife is strong and fit and healthy

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      Rubs Promo
                      Meat-Up in Memphis