Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think carefully visiting w friends now is ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think carefully visiting w friends now is ok?

My buddy from across the street is no longer allowed to see other people. At least that's my impression that it's his wife calling the shots. I feel that if a small group of people visit while practicing social distancing and perfect hygiene there is virtually no risk of contracting or spreading the virus. What's your take on it?

If you want to be on the safe side visit on Face Time, Skype or zoom. I prefer to err on the side of safety.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      No, we're all young and healthy. No symptoms, nobody going into the office, we've all been at home for weeks except to go to the store (and we have visited with each other a couple times in the described manner).

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack It sounds safe to me assuming you can escape the potential wrath of his wife since she seems to be calling the shots.

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd add a couple of cold ones or a shot or two for extra protection.

The problem are the variables. If, say, 2 couples who've been quarantined for 2 weeks and not been ill want to socialize I think the risk is small. But 8 people who've been quarantined for a week? Some of them still go to work? Or their kids were in school until last week? Nah.

Here's the thing... how would you feel if you had only been alone for a week... then did a party... and it turned out you were infectious but didnt know it... and someone else at the party ended up in the hospital?

SO... if everyone has been out of contact for 2+ weeks? Kids etc? No exceptions? Eh, probably fine. Less than that... I just wouldn't risk it. Wait a bit.

This comes down to a meme I saw along the lines of "Our grandparents were asked to go to war. We're being asked to stay inside and watch TV"
    Last edited by rickgregory; March 28, 2020, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      15' isn't a risk, period. I think you're fine.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Grocery shopping, at least occasionally, is something you have to do. Visiting your friends is not.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Dewesq55 I respectfully disagree. We are social animals armed with scientific knowledge and this will likely go on for months.

Tell him to get a lawn chair and go sit on his driveway and you sit on yours and you can have a drink together.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      That is exactly what I'm proposing we do.

My first thought went to Tim the Tool Man’s neighbor Wilson on the old TV show Home Improvement.

Conversation like they had with a fence in between you is probably okay

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      We would be much further apart than that.

I mentioned to my pastor (on the phone, services online) that I saw the recommended "stay in place" and all the other social distancing recommendations and thought, "so I guess I just keep doing what I always do."

I did make it to the deer woods and walked miles and never saw another human. Can't say the same for the darn deer flies.

I'd err on the side of caution for at least another week.

Comment

Attjack I'm with ya. The store trips are much more exposure than a small group of friends paying attention to distance. But I have caught some flack for thinking that way.

Comment

My take is stay home.

Comment

I think you will be fine especially if it's outdoors. We live in a very rural community so going to the store with some distance between people felt fine to me. Things have changed on that front in the last few minutes though. My neighbor just called to say that a woman that lives about 200 yards from us has tested positive and is very sick. She had returned from a trip to London with her husband and grandson 10 days ago. She and her husband have been doing self quarantine since their return. It just shows what a small world it really is.
          Last edited by Oak Smoke; March 28, 2020, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry to hear that. That's too close to home for comfort.

Personally, I live in a very urban environment. My neighborhood is typically bustling with activity. I'm a block or two from just about everything.

We're staying home with no visitors and let the mail and packages sit for 24 hrs before opening. Doing lots of FaceTime and Zoom. The issue is if you get sick over the next 60-90 days there may not be the health resources to treat you. Not much of a hardship to endure and, as health experts noted, better to be extra cautious than not, particularly when we're still learning about this disease.

Comment

Good news. My buddy wants to have a drink in a couple hours out front after all.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              His wife is coming too 😁

Why risk it? Your friends are still going to be your friends after this has run its course. The science regarding distancing is sketchy at best, if your friend goes on a coughing or sneezing jag from 15' away are you really going to feel safe?

My advice would be to hunker down and ride it out like the rest of us. Besides, would a get together where you have to holler out your conversation really be that much fun? Social animal or not, do the right thing and stay quarantined dude.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Nobody is going to be coughing and sneezing.

I’d have a drink with you . Seriously though, what you’re describing sounds very responsible and doesn’t seem like an issue to me. I’ve still been working though and spending half of the last two weeks in hotels and getting take out. My work’s been deemed essential and working from home is impossible.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              It sucks you have to be on the road like that. I already work from my home office so nothing changed for me except all the restaurants and bars closed down and the TP supplies suddenly ran out.

Originally posted by ribeyeguy View Post
            Why risk it? Your friends are still going to be your friends after this has run its course. The science regarding distancing is sketchy at best, if your friend goes on a coughing or sneezing jag from 15' away are you really going to feel safe?

My advice would be to hunker down and ride it out like the rest of us. Besides, would a get together where you have to holler out your conversation really be that much fun? Social animal or not, do the right thing and stay quarantined dude.
            Too many are turning social distance into social isolation as if the virus is in the air and to step outside, even with no one around, is to risk death.

Go read the CDC page on how COVID-19 spreads - it's person to person contact, mostly close, mostly for more than a few seconds. The odds of catching something from someone who hasn't been outside for 2 weeks *and* who is 15 feet away is tiny.

While I think everyone should be responsible and do what they feel is right, we also need to use reason and science, not panic and emotion.
            Last edited by rickgregory; March 28, 2020, 07:17 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly. I'm not passing a bottle of tequila around in a circle on spring break. I'm talking about far exceeding the CDC recommendations for not transmitting the virus. I'll "risk" it because social isolation isn't healthy either.

We had a small gathering last sunday, me, my wife, and 2 friends .... we all kept a reasonable distance, visited, smoked cigars, ate some tri-tip, drank some wine and whiskey .... I think that is completely fine.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              We did that last weekend. A couple we know just closed on their first house. We are dinner in the backyard, stayed 10' away, and used hand sanitizer throughout the visit. We also sanitized internally with tequila.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis