Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Party questiom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stormin239
    replied
    Thanks everyone - sorry for the long delay in responding got waylaid by work so I couldn't concentrate on the important things in life like BBQ! Appreciate all your help and insight. I estimated about 1/3 pound per guest. Wound up with plenty of butt and brisket, which is OK cause I kept the leftovers. Thanks once again for you help.

Leave a comment:

• frijolefrito
    replied
    6 pork butts, 1 briskett and beer. Hopefully this is an afternoon affair that will bleed in the night and I'd also suggest buying some to go containers and sending the kids home with food. They'll love you for it and you can make that like a graduation gift. If you have anyone crafty in the family they can even add a little momento or glue like some scrap booking stuff right on top of the togo containers.

I'd suggest for appetizers these: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/snack...o_poppers.html

I'd cut them in half (more smoke gets to the filling) and I like to cook it longer where the jalapeno is actually softer.

I'd also try your hand at homemade coleslaw. Those little touches make the already good pulled pork sammich Astronomical!

Also a good mac and cheese... okay I'm getting hungry now.

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    commented on 's reply
    Don't be the guy that runs out, that's my motto.

• Nate
    replied
    Congrats on your son's graduation. I agree with the weights of about 1/2 lb raw or 1/4 cooked... However... Assuming this is a High School graduation party then if your graduation party is anything like they are around where I am from then the people that will be coming are probably also hitting a number of other parties throughout the day as well and may be leaving yours to go to others... That being said your company may be grazing all day and may not be as likely to completely load up on food. You may check to see who else is having graduation parties that day, times, etc to get a little better feel for what your needs will be. Like John said though, "pulled pork freezes well"!

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Agree with the above with a caveat, I cook a few times a year for 60 HS football players and they demolish on average 1.25 pounds raw weight per person. These are young active guys, but those are likely the same ones as your grad party. Assuming a 50/50 M/F ratio you won't need near that much, but personally I would go higher than 1/2 lb per person. Sides are big, but if your barbecue is good they will fill up on it. Pulled pork freezes well, if you have the cash and capacity try to hit closer to a pound a piece raw and freeze the rest.

Good luck, I am cooking for a grad party of about 60 myself (for someone else, though my oldest is graduating kindergarten...) and I will be cooking 60 pounds total.

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    I agree with the two answers above since they are the same 😄

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    replied
    If you plan on 1/4 lb of finished butt or brisket per sandwich, you can determine how many pounds of product to start with based on what percentage of weight you usually lose during the cook. If you lose 50%, you'd need 1/2 lb per person of raw product to start. That should get you very close.

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    replied
    When I used to do pulled pork for larger groups (30-60) I found that about a half pound of meat (before being cooked) per person was about right, assuming of course that the meal will have accompaniments.

Leave a comment:

• Stormin239
    started a topic Party questiom

Party questiom

We are hosting a graduation party for my son in a couple weeks expecting about 100 people to pass thru. My son wants me to smoke pork butt and brisket - which I am very excited to do! My question is how much meat should I cook? The party is over the dinner hour (4-8 PM), we'll have sides, munchies etc, but trying to figure out how many butts and briskets I need. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Stormin239

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis