Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEED surveillance system now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEED surveillance system now.

I have found myself in need of a good, make that a really good surveillance system. Too many details to go into now.
    This is for my home. The exterior/ perimeter.
    I know Henrik started a topic about this a while back.
    But here are my needs.
    1 good night vision.
    2 battery powered. Hence wireless.
    3 record-ability. Without having to use any “pay for” storage.
    4 easy hook up and connect.
    5 I’m looking for 4-6 cameras.

I think I covered all my bases. 🤔??

Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

Oh and I’m looking to have one like yesterday. 😬😁

👍👍

I bought a Reolink, very happy with it. But there’s a ton of options, and I haven’t done much research. Just wanted to mention about the battery requirement: I wanted that too, but this camera runs on PoE (power over Ethernet), which is super convenient. Yes, you have to run a network cable, but no power cable, and never have to charge/replace batteries.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      PoE is new to me.

Ring devices might be just what you need. But I don't think item #3 is realistic for what you are needing. $100 per year will get you recording for unlimited devices. If you really NEED it, that's a small price to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve B View Post
      I have found myself in need of a good, make that a really good surveillance system. Too many details to go into now.
      This is for my home. The exterior/ perimeter.
      I know Henrik started a topic about this a while back.
      But here are my needs.
      1 good night vision.
      2 battery powered. Hence wireless.
      3 record-ability. Without having to use any “pay for” storage.
      4 easy hook up and connect.
      5 I’m looking for 4-6 cameras.

I think I covered all my bases. 🤔??

Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

Oh and I’m looking to have one like yesterday. 😬😁

👍👍
      A sniper on the roof helps also

Comment

I have a blink system.
        affordable and does all that you are asking for

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          @Graygoose How do you like your system? Is it the first generation or second? How many cameras is yours?

I've avoided a Ring doorbell because it gets cold here and supposedly the batteries die quickly in the cold. YMMV

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          As for the doorbell itself, you can connect the Ring doorbell to the existing wires to your old doorbell, and batteries are not an issue. I haven't been through a really cold winter with my other units, so I can't speak to the battery life in Minnesota. They are rechargeable, fwiw

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not looking for a doorbell camera JC. My goal is to be able to view all around my property.

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve R. That would be great if I had wires.

Steve B Understood, just thinking a battery is a battery is a battery.

Several have solar panel options so you can keep the battery topped off without running any cables.

if you have an existing powered old school doorbell many will hook up to the line for power and even activate your old school bell.

Comment

Steve B,
          I have had it about 4 years.
          not sure if it is a gen 1 or 2, 4 cameras ,battery powered, plug in WiFi connector to link the cameras,saves the video recordings
          front door, back door, slider and cellar door
          serves the purpose

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks brother. Yours is a first generation. The second gen just came out last year as far as I can tell.
            But 4 years and no issues? That is pretty good I would say.

No complaints

Comment

I've got the ring battery powered cameras. They hold 2 batteries each. lifespan depends on your motion settings and activity levels. they also can be hooked up to a solar panel (I have 1 camera on a solar panel so I always have fresh batteries to swap in). My other cameras, even through this winter, lasted for 2-3 months on their charges.
            Last edited by xaugievike; March 28, 2020, 09:35 AM.

Comment

I got the Reolink and am very happy with the ease of use

Comment

Nest will meet all of your requirements. But it’s a bit pricey. I have a Nest doorbell and a Nest security camera. It automatically tracks motion and sound, alerts me via an app, and you can have many days recorded in the Nest cloud.

Comment

Check out arlo, i have 2 arlo pros, they are inside but have worked great, 1 week free cloud storage. Arlo now has a couple newer models than i have. Night vision is really good on mine a d there only 720 . Arlo has many configurations of flood lights, alarms ect.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Being that I wanted a system asap. I just bought the Blink 5 camera system. Hopefully it meets my expectations.
                    Again Thanks, Steve B

Comment

I've a 6 camera Lorex system, wireless, rechargeable batt., hard drive recording. I like the system, except in northern Ontario in winter the batt. need charging every couple weeks. https://www.lorextechnology.com/
                      Last edited by Locotech; March 28, 2020, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      Rubs Promo
                      Meat-Up in Memphis