Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First brined pork chops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First brined pork chops

I'm quite familiar with brining. Have been brining Thanksgiving (and other) turkeys for years. (Check out Alton Brown's recipe for turkey brine) But I've never brined pork.
    So my local grocery had thick cut rib chops on sale, something I never miss, and I bought a package. I decided to try a simple brine, salt, brown sugar, garlic powder and black pepper, for about 6 hours.
    I rubbed them with garlic powder and some Penzey's Bicentennial rub and grilled them on my Smokey Joe with some cherry chips.
    Verdict: They were very moist and juicy, but they were rib chops (so that would be expected anyway. They were a funny color; they didn't brown at all. Except for the orange from the rub, they were just gray. They had a nice flavor, but they were a little too salty. I don't know how much salt is in Penzey's rub, but if you brine a pork chop, you should avoid any added salt.
    As I look at Panzey's description online, salt be the #1 ingredient.
    Aye! There's the rub! https://www.penzeys.com/online-catal...-24/p-339/pd-s

I'm a huge briner in fact I keep a batch in the fridge on the ready. I brine turkey, chicken & pork on a regular basis. I started this a couple of years and everything I cook is moist now. Before I always had trouble with pork chops but now moist and crispy

Anyway congrats

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    Rubs Promo
    Meat-Up in Memphis