Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dog Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog Advice?

As many of you know, we lost our bigger dog Roxy the other day. She was fine one day and passed away the next. She was at home when she passed.

We still have our little dog Layla. Layla and Roxy spent 11.5 years together rarely more than a few feet from each other and had a truly remarkable bond. She also knew that Roxy was gone before we did.

Now that Roxy is gone, Layla is rarely getting out of bed, rarely eating, no enthusiasm for walks and when she is up and around her head is down and she is just moping around. I know she is totally grief stricken but I never would have expected this.

I did call my vet and she said give it a few days. If she is still depressed she will prescribe some doggy antidepressants. They were at the vet for their yearly check up not 2 weeks ago. She said right now they are only taking extreme emergency cases.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm strongly considering another vet.

Or does time heal all wounds for dogs too? This is my first time experiencing this.

Any and all advice will be more than appreciated.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1463.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	1.87 MB ID:	821048
    Last edited by troymeister; March 27, 2020, 09:44 AM.

Did Layla ever see Roxy AFTER she passed away? Or did Roxy just suddenly disappear one day (from Layla's perspective)? There is a certain closure that dogs need when something like this happens, not unlike humans.

Comment

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes she did..Roxy passed away at home. She knew Roxy was gone before we did.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      That's all I got, troymeister. It's probably going to just take some time.

My experience is just give her time and a little extra attention. We've always been a multi-dog family, and while this might not be practical for everyone, through the years as a dog gets older and nearer to the end we bring another one into the family. Our old Heeler is coming up on 15 years and is really starting to show her age. We have been recently talking about this very thing. Give Layla a hug from us, Troy.

p.s. A new puppy can heal more than one heart, I think it's their super power.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; March 27, 2020, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      I really like your story.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      We do the same thing. Makes it a lot easier for them.

If time does not help, would you consider a puppy as a new companion?

Comment

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      We are strongly considering that too.

I was going to suggest what RonB did. I don't know if it's too soon emotionally for you and your wife to consider another pup, but maybe your current puppers needs another little friend if you don't want to give it the 'wait & see' approach.

Comment

Yeah, I've experienced this as well. It's natural and it will pass. When our Roxy died we had someone out to the house to help her go peacefully. We put Jasmine in the other room. I still don't understand how this even happened but as soon as the euthanasia drug went in Jasmine howled from the other room. A little later we let her in and she rushed in and was obviously looking for Roxy. She dismissed the body as if she couldn't find her anywhere in the room. She remained depressed for a couple of weeks. When Jasmine passed Moxin also became depressed. Dogs tend to live in the now but family is very important to them. Layla will grieve and move on with life in time as well.

Comment

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack Oh my...Thank you for sharing...That story put tears to my eyes.

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        Same thing...Layla dismissed the body as if it didn't exist. Dogs are indeed truly amazing.
        Last edited by troymeister; March 27, 2020, 12:00 PM.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh my gosh, this story about Roxy's passing breaks my heart. Dogs do have amazing sensitivity, as Jasmine showed.

Kathryn

We had the same problem about a year and a half ago. The surviving dog started looking so rough we really feared she would die quickly. So we adopted another puppy considerably sooner than we probably would have on our own.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0317.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	821103

The result was an incredible success. The new puppy snapped her out of it immediately and even made her more social than she was previously.

PS. That puppy is now about 85 pounds...

Comment

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        Jim White Great story. I love the pic too! Just adorable.

One of the sweetest things ever was when we brought home a puppy many years ago and our then-young Heeler Ella was beyond ecstatic! She was tearing around the property as fast as she could run, buzzing the new pup with every turn. She just knew that we got the new puppy for HER. We had a breezeway between the house and garage where my FIL was standing at the top of the steps. Ella went to zip along the breezeway but her path was blocked by the FIL. At the last second she veered to the right, and while running at full-tilt-boogie scaled the wall of the house about 4 feet up a la Keanu Reeves in The Matrix. Her heart was full and she had a new puppy.

Comment

So much love here. Great advice. Just one thing to add: when you do get a new pup, consider adopting a shelter dog. We did and have not regretted it one second.

Comment

get a puppy. Feed your existing dog beef or calf liver daily. Take her for walks in new and exciting areas.

Comment

Sorry your dog passed and hope she gets over her grief.

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words and sound advice. It seems Mrs. Troymeister (Linda) and I are leaning in the direction of rescuing a pup sooner than later. When that happens I will post pics right of way.

Again thank you all!

Comment

My own personal thought from a bit of sad experience. A puppy in Layla's life would be a blessing to her.
                I believe a Dog lives in the moment. Memories? Maybe but I don't feel like they mourn, or hold grudges even in some cases when they have a right to.
                I'm voting puppy but it's all a personal feeling.
                I'm also voting a resounding NO on drugs. Vets make their money through selling drugs.
                Last edited by Cheef; March 27, 2020, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• troymeister
                  troymeister commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I couldn't agree more!

I swear I never thought I would ever be a dog person.
                Then about 17 or 18 years ago my wife lost hers right before Christmas. I literally drove 300 miles to find her another ShihTzu to surprise her for Christmas.The breeder who was kind of high faluting showed me half a dozen puppies and I was like - ok-ok-ok. She pulled the runt of the litter out and he kind of pranced up in front of me-took a big poop and looked at me like--ok now what big boy. I scooped the little shit up and away we went. I swear to God my ShangHai never had a bad day in his house--he ruled from the first minute he walked in. Lost him a few years ago and his little brother a Yorkie seemed kind of lost. UNTIL we got another ShihTzu brother for him. I believe old Fat Shangy sent HopSing Corbett down to us and told him to be a turd just like he was. Can't tell you it is easy to replace an old friend but I can tell you your old friend would sure like to ease your pain and make Layla happy again and a pup will do it.
                Last edited by Cheef; March 27, 2020, 04:09 PM.

Comment

troymeister Here's the puppy all grown up and the smile on the older one to prove her recovery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0833(Edited).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	821252

Comment

• troymeister
                    troymeister commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow...Awesome!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis