Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

@ComfortablyNumb--UPS Goings On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willy
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the reply. From my (very) limited perspective, I see a "normal" number of UPS & FedEx trucks in our neighborhood. If anything, our UPS deliveries are a little later in the day than usual (could just be fewer trucks out, I suppose). I did call UPS last week to learn how to get pick-up service for a package we wanted to send and got a "due to extremely high call volume..." recording.

Stay safe out there!

• smokenoob
    replied
    I used to get a package per day, now it’s more like one per week. I think slight depression has me off my game....

Leave a comment:

• pkadare
    replied
    I'm really impressed with UPS Canada and their responsiveness to issues. Last week the Peterborough, Ontario office was telling residents in my town of Bobcaygeon which happens to be the largest cluster of Covid-19 in the province that they were no longer going to ship to or pickup from Bobcaygeon for the "foreseeable future". I tweeted and tagged UPC Canada and they got back to me immediately and had it resolved within a couple of hours. Outstanding customer service. I wouldn't want to have been the person in the Peterborough office that unilaterally made that decision. :-)

Leave a comment:

• ComfortablyNumb
    replied
    All this is news to me. Volume at our center has been good, most days all full time drivers are working, whereas the cover drivers are usually on call until the senior drivers begin using vacation time. In fact I am being called in today to do some delivering, which usually only happens during peak season. My pick up customers are suffering, most of them are shipping businesses located at the border. With the border closed the Canadians can't come get their packages, so the businesses have severely trimmed their hours. I'm told some businesses are closed to the public, but still have employees working, so they can deliver and receive packages. I was concerned about drivers getting ill, but so far that has not happened, well, not that I'm aware of. I start and finish when most everyone is out of the building, so I am mercifully out of the loop. W
    e are a small rural center, only seven confirmed cases of COVID-19 in our county, it coud be worse, or at least more concerning, for metropoliton areas, especially the hot areas, such as New York.

Leave a comment:

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    replied
    I'm not in the buisiness, but you have to remember that a lot of the businesses that ship regularly are shut down. Your e-bay package you ship out once a month doesn't really affect employment/prices. But there are companies with contracts that will ship up to X number of widgets a month. That and fuel cost is what sets the price. A lot of those guaranteed customers for shipping companies are currently shut world wide. So the shipping companies need more delivery/handling folks right now to meet mail order demand, but that's not a guaranteed number that you can effectively set prices on. Shipping companies plus up during Christmas employee wise because it's a given increase in sales, they have no clue what the effect is so can't adjust price properly even with the low fuel prices.

That's my guess anyway.

My bigger concern is people like 2 of my family members in FL and my wife. Family members are both tourist generated income. My FL family can have a W2 with 200K+ in one year, and 30K- the following. My wife recently got her realty license, she didn't make jack most of last year while getting certs, and in a State like CA where they deemed realty unauthorized during this stuff that would set her back 4+ months minimum on income this year. I have no clue how the math folks generate a reasonable number to help those types of folks. I can see how you'd math out a company like FedEx, they have fairly easy to model usage/income/employability. Folks in certain industries have extremely varied years that are hard to model.

FWIW, I'm blessed. I have a paycheck whether I have to work or not. If my wife doesn't get assistance from the govt, we'll be much better off than some. But I'm still concerned about those folks in similar situations where things fluctuate year to year. It's impossible for Govt to make a fix all situation that helps 100% of those in real need.
    Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; March 26, 2020, 04:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    replied
    The courier I was driving for here in Canada was deemed essential, business is down a bit so I've been told but they have no intention of laying off.
    E-commerce shipments are thru the roof while regular shippers shipments are down.
    I drove linehaul and they can't get trailers to Amazon and the like fast enough.
    The fact that roughly 90% of retail customers are closed really puts a dent in deliveries but is seems to be being replaced by residential deliveries.
    The couriers don't have to get the consignee to sign for any shipments any more, ring the door bell step back 2 meters and wait 30 seconds for the door to open.
    Whether or not someone shows the courier can hit the road without POD.
    Fedex and UPS have a pretty good foot print up here, while they don't serve as much of Canada as we do they should be about the same as us.

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    commented on 's reply
    Us too; we’re also doing take-out from our favorite local restaurants.

• Willy
    commented on 's reply
    That makes sense. Thanks.

• Huskee
    replied
    I try to support them, we order lots online. We get a good mix of UPS, FedEx, and the USPS delivering our packages.

Leave a comment:

• ddmcwhirter
    replied
    I'm thinking they fear a loss of business for many millions out of a job...possibly a real hit to the consumer economy we've enjoyed.

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    started a topic @ComfortablyNumb--UPS Goings On

@ComfortablyNumb--UPS Goings On

I was surprised to see that UPS and FedEx are among companies likely to be bailed out. I would have thought both would be booming during this time--for instance, we have actually ordered a few things we'd normally buy at Costco. My expectation is obviously wrong. What's the rest of the story from your insider's perspective? Thanks in advance.

ComfortablyNumb
    Last edited by Willy; March 25, 2020, 03:24 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis