Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portable "shop-vac"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portable "shop-vac"

My dad got a really nice portable shop vac from Amazon during a Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Christmas season deal. Naturally, I had a lot going on and forgot to buy myself one, the price doubled by the time I wanted to buy it. I have a shop vac, but it's not exactly convenient to haul around to my back deck to clean out my cookers. So, I've been on the lookout for something and happened upon this while in Home Depot a while back. I've got plenty of 5 gal. buckets so I thought I'd give it a try. Surprisingly, it does the job perfectly! The only drawback is when vacuuming up the fine ash, the filter doesn't quite catch it all and a very minimal amount will come out the blower end, but it is very small and hardly noticeable.

Maybe this will help y'all keep your cookers clean. Yes, I realize a whisk broom or old paint brush are good, but this thing gets in the hard to reach places.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-H...0100/202017218

NOTE: I have not tried on wet items.

Yep, been using one for a while. Works ok, not perfect as you say, but pretty convenient.

Comment

Cool. I had been thinking about buying one of those portable jobs, but this looks like it would work better.

Comment

Cool, thanks fer th review.
        I've seen them things, but was always purty skeptical as to how good they'd work.

Comment

Thanks for the post. I wouldn’t cook on my pellet smoker without it since I clean my firebox before every cook. Since I also store my pellets in 5 gallon buckets it makes it easy to suck up unused pellets back into the appropriate bucket.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            makes it easy to suck up unused pellets back into the appropriate bucket.
            Wow, that's some smart thinkin, Don!

Plus, I tend to like/prefer tools that are versatile, vs one trick ponies...

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            Smarter than the average bear.

I'll have to give this a shot. I have a normal shop-vac, but it is a massive pain in the rear to get it out, dump it and put away just for small jobs here and there. Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

I bought. portable Stanley a few years back from Walmart fo something between $20-$30. It gets the job done and stores easily when not in use.

Comment

I've never used one as I have a small portable shop vac already, but the bucket vacs are very popular in the pellet world, especially before hopper drain chutes started. Take a clean bucket and vacuum out the hopper to change flavors and store until needed. Use another bucket to clean out the grill.

Comment

Just ordered [email protected]%$ MCS

Comment

What about the Snow Joe Ash Vacuum? I've looked but never bought.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Snow-Joe...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Click image for larger version

Name:	snow-joe-canister-vacuums-ashj202e-c3_1000.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	820420
                  Last edited by Attjack; March 25, 2020, 05:12 PM.

Comment

It's pricier that some of the other shop vacs but I picked this one up a year or two ago and it works pretty well. I keep it under a table on my deck.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-4...4070/202077241

Comment

Does something like this come with or have available better filters for fine ash (like say drywall dust filters?)

Comment

• Attjack
                        Attjack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Pretty sure the ash vac I posted does.

• Donw
                        Donw commented
                        Editing a comment
                        On the bucket vac mentioned above I found a short piece of pipe that fit right in the exhaust. I had some old throwaway jeans which I cut up, sewed sections of them into little pouches which can attach to the other end of the pipe with a hose clamp.

• au4stree
                        au4stree commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Not sure, the filter is easily removed and held in place with a glorified rubber band. I tried again on my primo and it did better after I re-secured the band and filter.

I got the below one during a sale a few weeks back (link with current price below) and I have to admit, I have been surprised at how good the clean up is on my WSCG. Never really used a shop vac for a cooker before, but the squirrels got into my gasser (haven't used it in almost two years!) over the winter and I wanted something with a filter to get all their nuts out (words I never thought I would type...). But for a simple extra clean to get some of the ash out of tough spots on a charcoal grill, it is super easy. With the filter and the dust bag, no mess at all. Should have done it years ago!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-4...4070/202077241

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      Rubs Promo
                      Meat-Up in Memphis