Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And so it begins... LOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And so it begins... LOL

I finally made it back to SoCal...was doing my best to avoid contact with others...
    So now I’m in a self imposed exile. I’m not worried as much about getting sick but certainly don’t want to spread it if I have been infected.

l was in Florida part of last week. It was strange seeing 6 or 7 cruise ships docked at once. Usually it seems like there’s no more than 2 or 3 on any given day. And obviously the parking lots were completely empty. Fortunately a few restaurants at the cape deliver, so I was spared fast food while there.

That changed when I had to make my way back to Texas. Some places along the way were closed...voluntarily or otherwise. And judging by what I could see, it was business as usual in a lot of cities. I chose to avoid any crowds. Yeah, I’m pretty sick of fast food right now. I don’t eat much of it normally, but I’ve survived on it since the 18th. Bleh Yeah, doesn’t seem that long, but I rarely get fast food...so it felt like months. LOL

In trying to limit my exposure to crowds I decided to fly out of Meridian MS rather than Memphis. About 80 miles further away. Finished my job at an aerospace company in northern MS. The flight probably only had about ten on board...four of them a family. I’ve never seen DFW so empty. Shops were all closed as were most restaurants and all bars. The flight to Ontario (my car was at a friends house in Riverside) was about half full. I heard that the airline had cancelled two previous flights or it too may have resembled my first.

Several restaurants in this area are doing deliveries, so that’s a plus. Wasn’t planning on doing that but will probably order in a few times to help keep their doors open if nothing else.

Had to go to the store when I got back yesterday...I’ve been gone for weeks. Anyway, went to Costco. They were limiting how many people could enter at any time. They also had signs up and visual aids reminding people to keep 6’ apart. And lines on the floor at checkout. The meat section was fully stocked. They do have limits though. They had no TP or paper towels. Good thing I had gone before all of this. Seems TP isn’t the only thing people have been hoarding... A couple friends usually get Kirkland dog food...not a bag in sight. And that appears to be the case from San Diego to Riverside. Odd

I had posted a few updates in another thread but didn’t want to hijack that one.

Hopefully testing can be ramped up soon because that seems to be vital to getting back to normal.

Ok, enough rambling...
    Stay safe & eat well.

Glad yer home safe an sound, Brother!

Comment

+1, glad you made it home safe. We are certainly living in interesting times.

Comment

Good to hear you made it home. Strange days, indeed.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          texastweeter we have 3 confirmed and all of the weirdness here in Siskiyou County. I don't buy into paranoia and sure as heck don't drink KoolAid, but we're doing our best to be good citizens and at least acknowledge and abide by the intent of the "rules".
          Last edited by CaptainMike; March 25, 2020, 07:06 AM.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          15 cases here. Wife's grandfather has it most likely (according to ER) but the can't confirm it due to no tests. He is a Korean war vet with severe diabetes and dementia, but has pulled through it. Fever gone, breathing almost normal. Back home under quarantine along with his wife, and home nurse. In-laws had to quarantine too. Thank goodness we haven't been around them for 5 weeks.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          That's pretty good news Tweet, and how most cases will turn out.

Glad ya made it home. Will you have to do any more traveling?

Comment

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          Most likely that will be on a hiatus for at least several more weeks. Vandenberg AFB has essentially closed down to all but the most essential...and I expect other places to do the same. Many aerospace places are scaling back for the time being as well.

Nice to have you back. Went by Costco in Fountan valley today for gas.. Nope! No way and the line was 100 deep. Went to Exxon and Ralph’s instead.

I will wait for “Prime Meat” though.

Comment

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I’ve given them a hard pass several times for those lines in the past as well. I swear the lines make it appear that they’re giving it away. My daily drive has a small tank and gets 30+/MPG so I’m not about to sit in line to possibly save a dollar. LOL

Meat OTOH... When I stopped into the Costco the other day they had plenty. And limits. And a line to get in...but it all went smoothly.

Thanks for checking in with us. Stay safe!

Comment

Usually 2 weeks goes by quickly. But 2 weeks in quarantine--the days go by pretty slowly unless you can work from home. Good thing you've got your smokers to keep you occupied.

Kathryn

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            I get all freaked out walking into my office. Hide in my office under a dog or Lysol. Then I think of my poor wife at home with my four hellraisin offspring...poor girl. At least humans don't eat their young...

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            I’d lose my mind without them. Perhaps too late for that but that’s another situation all together. LOL
            The hard part is not being able to share what I cook...for now. When my two weeks is up I’ll make contact with a couple likeminded friends.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis