Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bee invasion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bee invasion

We've had a new experience today. My wife came running into the living room yelling that the master bath was full of bees. They were coming in through two light fixtures in the ceiling. It turns out a queen bee and all her friends have moved into our attic. I've called every bee keeper in the area to see if any of them would come get them. None are interested. I've taped over the light fixtures and will be glad to see the pest control people tomorrow. Even sheltering in place has its hazards.

I started to click like, but I don't really like that. A swarm of hornets chased me out of my backyard a couple of years ago. It was not pleasant.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, hornets are Bad JuJu

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      bald face hornets an I have been waging an epic war in the outdoor kitchen of the vacation house in Gruene for about 3 years now. Once they got the best of me, and I hurdled the swim up bar straight into the pool. I swear those a holes hung out at the surface for me for what felt like hours. Got their @ss with a can of carb cleaner later that night though!

• Bobby Q's
      Bobby Q's commented
      Editing a comment
      Brake Kleen does the trick as well! That little hose that comes with it lets you get pretty high/far distances.

Oh hell no. Thats one of my worst nightmares.

Comment

I had something similar happen a few years ago. We could hear a buzzing in my daughter's bedroom and couldn't find anything. All of a sudden a massive number of bees started coming through the joint between the wall and the ceiling.

Comment

Had a bee problem a few years back myself.
        I kept hearing what I though was buzzing coming from a bathroom... Upon investigation, it turned out they had set up home in the wall.
        None made it inside but I covered the vents just in case.

I called vector control but they wouldn’t come out because the problem was at/in the house. Had it been a tree or something else they would have come by. So yeah, had to call in a bug guy.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice, a built-in honey dispenser! Too bad it was in the bathroom, though.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve R. Bwaaahaaahaaahaaa!!!!
          Good One, Brother!

Had a queen land on the front porch soffit light of my home a couple of years ago. Same issue, bee keepers never showed. It's amazing to me because they are freaking out over the bee population diminishing in general and the problem that may cause with crop pollination. Anyway we got the old wasp spray out and got rid of them. Low and behold they came back the following year !!! This time after zapping them I had to thoroughly clean the entire area, undo the light fixture and clean up into the soffit as well. I think the pheromones must have lingered and re-attracted them.

Comment

We had a neighbor who was a beekeeper and he said most of them are very particular about maintaining the attitude of their hives. Introducing "wild" bees to a colony can make them cranky. I can't argue with that philosophy because his bees were about as friendly as they come. They were always hanging out and buzzing around our place, especially when we were watering in the evening. Damndest thing I ever saw.

Comment

Bees are purty intrinsically cool, an I love em, but sure don't want me no hive in my house.

My older brother Mark keeps bees, an usedta have several hives where I rented from him...of an evenin, I'd often go lay down fer a spell, with my face boutta foot from the entrance, an watch em come an go. Ever seen them pics where somebody has a beard of bees on their face? I've been that guy, definitely a weird sensation, I can safely say.

Requires some self-discipline, while they initially respond to yer presence, then eventually their threat assessment level reduces, an they go on bout their bidness.

Kinda cool (an creepy feelin), havin em walkin all over fer face an scalp, in yer eyes, ears, nose, heaven's sakes keep yer mouth shut, or they'll walk right in there too. Only was that stoopid, once.

It's neat to watch em come back to th hive, sky-dancin to signal they've found food, an see others take flight an follow; summat akin to th flyin monkeys in Wizard of Oz, when yer down at their level of th world.
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 24, 2020, 11:05 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              CaptainMike likely ya weren't stoopid enough to place yer mug so close to their domicile, an Queen.
              Agreed: honoured, accepted, part of Nature is how it made me feel. Literally right down in th dirt, where I come from, belong, an shall someday return, where I try to stay..
              To my mind, any elevation above that level is jus manmade self aggrandizement, based upon a denial of Reality.
              I fully realize others' mileage may vary.
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 25, 2020, 04:02 PM.

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              No thanks. Can't do it.

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              That sounds cool & all but I’m with klflowers on this one. No thanks. But then I’m the guy that bees will come to and sting without provocation. >:-/ So I try to avoid them and let them go about their business.

It's a real shame no beekeepers are interested. I raised bees for 6 years and trying to keep them alive was a challenge. An active swarm usually shows very good survival genes. I always jumped at the chance to collect a swarm. The 2 swarms I did collect produced roughly 100 lbs each of honey the following year. The other hives barely produced.
            Last edited by troymeister; March 24, 2020, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
              Oak Smoke commented
              Editing a comment
              We evidently have several active hives in the trees up and down the creek behind the house. The local guys I talked to said they get lots of calls every springs about swarming bees. It turns out my next door neighbor has a swarm it his hedge. Evidently we have a healthy eco system for bees. I seriously hate to wipe this one out, but I'm out of options.

For another related story, a buddy calls and says he's passing through and would love to stop by. The house is in a state of remodel so I go out to open up the 5th wheel for him to stay. As I'm walking out I see that a hornet's nest had fallen out of a tree onto the path. I saw a couple of sentries guarding the nest so I took a very wide berth around it and made a plan to deal with it early the next morning. While I was opening the trailer I heard the unmistakable shriek of a woman, more precisely, my woman. Seems my fair damsel was coming out with a set of sheets for the bed when she came across what she thought was an abandoned hornet nest on the ground. However, and this is the tricky part, she decided to go ahead and give it a little nudge with her toe. Well, needless to say, bald-faced hornets don't take kindly to such an affront and they mounted their requisite all-hands-on-deck, God Save The Queen full frontal banzai assault on she whom they deemed to be a miscreant. Fortunately, our workshop was close at hand and my girl escaped with only a single bee sting to her derriere. I would have been angry had I not been laughing so hard!
            Last edited by CaptainMike; March 24, 2020, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Your fanciful narrative makes the whole thing come to life in my mind! Great post.

That's the stuff of nightmares. Them things will NOT leave their queen, they will literally fly across the country to be with her. I feel for you. Bees (hornets, wasps, yellow jackets) freak me out and bees in my house make me act like a child, I am scared to death of them.

Comment

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              Im with you on that one. Id rather get in a cage with a tiger that hasnt been fed in a month than deal with a bee/wasp/hornet nest.

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              That reminded me of the hornets at my house one day. Nightmare indeed.

Mowing the lawn they just started coming out of the ground. Aaaahhhhhh!!!!
              I quickly parked the running mower over the hole until I could figure out how to get rid of them. LOL
              It did a splendid job drawing lots of them out with its vibrations...the rest went down with a pourable concoction.

We grow plants to attract bees of the bumble variety. I wouldn't want them to come inside though. They're fascinating little creatures. Sometimes I'll spent the better part of an hour just watching them go about their business.

Comment

As my friend says the bees might sting to protect their hives, but wasps are just a#$holes.

Comment

• ddmcwhirter
                ddmcwhirter commented
                Editing a comment
                Those nasty little beer bees (some kind of ground dwelling wasp) that show up in the fall and hang until it freezes. You won't share your beer? I'm in your face now...swat at me! I'll be back in just a minute, nail your thigh, and you'll wonder WTHey!
                I give them a deep saucer of beer and they either drink themselves to death or drown.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                This is very very true.
                I have no issues with bees, except when I hop in my work truck after completin a service call, take a much needed swig of my Coke Cola, an end up with one in my mouth...

Wasps? WASPS???? They all must DIE LOL!!!!!

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Really good technique, Brother ddmcwhirter !!!! Kudos!

Years ago we discovered the bee hive in the peak of our church building when it started dripping honey and bees were now flying inside. We called a bee keeper who came out at night to remove them and the hive. Also, I believe they need to spray something after removal to keep the bees from returning to that spot.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Makes sense, kills off them remainin Fairy Moans, I'd haveta reckon!

I don't even want to tell the story about the time there was a small hole in my bee suit.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis