Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Else Feel a Little Weirded Out Going to Work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Else Feel a Little Weirded Out Going to Work?

As a Postal worker, I have been designated "critical to the infrastructure of the country" which means I am still going to to work every day. I feel a bit like the guy in the Walking Dead, riding his horse down an empty freeway. I can get to work in 12 minutes flat. Usually it takes me 35 minutes or more. It's just bizarre. Everyone at work is acting a little weird too. (Not unexpected.) I work in a Processing and Distribution Center, where we sort basically all of Baltimore's mail. Too many people around for my comfort level. Even with all the precautions I am taking, I am a little bit creeped out. I worry about what I could carry home to my family.

Luckily, I am working from home. I have been been for almost 2 weeks because I have a person who has been type 1 diabetic for 49 years in the house. It's funny, as when I first requested remote work I was denied. HR and Legal got involved blah blah blah... I told them I understood, but I was going to do what is best for my family. 2 weeks later and everyone in my department is working from home, the university has shut it's doors and gone completely online, etc...

I kid myself that I may have saved a person or three from being infected.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, here too; we shut down campus, then they sent most of us home indefinitely. All classes online fer th remainin semester, at best.

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m working from home too. What universities do you all work at? I’m at the University of So. Cal (USC).

• painter
      painter commented
      Editing a comment
      Univ of Colo/Boulder where I work has moved entirely online. It's been a challenge as I teach studio art (printmaking) which requires a good deal of equipment and chemistry. My students are now developing a robust drawing practice!

Same here. I work as a distributor for Fire Protection material. We fabricate and supply all material for Sprinkler Systems in new construction. We got our "U.S. Critical Infrastructure Worker" cards yesterday so we wouldn't be harassed when going on job-sites or on the way to/from work. Every county has a curfew and I have been stopped asking what I was doing so now I have a card to explain it for me. Its eerie getting to work in downtown Atlanta with no traffic or seeing traffic on the way home. Not the norm.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike I thought it was 'sign ze papers, old man!'

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow. Curfews.

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      "I can't sign the papers..."

I do have distant memories of something called work. I'm hoping they will continue to fade as time goes by.

But please do be careful and take what precautions you can.

Comment

I'm also among the Workingman's Dead. Defense critical infrastructure. But - my days are the same as ever since I've been a "professional" remote worker for a long, long time. It's been interesting to observe my office-based colleagues adjust to remote work (fortunately they're able to work remotely).

Comment

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm in exactly the same boat, I've been a work from home worker for going on 25 years now. I've become the "go to" guy for most of Azure for WFH advice. :-)

I am an auto technician at an independent repair shop. For what ever reason we are deemed essential so our shop is open. However we're ridiculously slow. So I am still working for the time being. To make matters worse one my coworkers called in sick yesterday. Just freakin great. But from what I know its just a stomach virus. But my boss told him he has to stay home for 14 days. So we shall see.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        I need brakes on my truck and was planning on getting them replaced this week Last night our governor shut down the state, so I'm wondering if the shops will still be open as they weren't listed as part of the essential services.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        ComfortablyNumb That I don't know. I guess each state will designate what is and what is not essential. Here in NY the shops are open. Or should I say the ones that choose to be open are.

Heck, I spent 30 years being weirded out going to work. Semi-hermitcy suits me well.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Hell yeah. I was planning a trip to Scotland this year and was going to buy some land. I was going to name it "Because F#*ck You That's Why Manor" and situate it out in the woods.

I'm an engineer working on commercial projects in a town full of defense and aerospace contractors (Huntsville Alabama aka Rocket City USA). I've worked from a home office for the past couple of years for a company based out of Orlando, and am their feet on the ground with 3-4 subcontractors here in Huntsville. I dropped some parts for rework off last Friday at a subcontractor and just did the handoff of a box in the parking lot, at arms length, because to get into the building required me to answer a long health questionairre, get my temp taken, etc. I just handed him the parts, and we stood out by my truck talking for 45 minutes, standing about 10 feet apart.

Most of the defense contractors around here are sending folks to work from home, if they have a laptop. In my son's case, since he does about $5M a month in billing for a defense contractor, they just make him keep coming in. I don't think he can log into the billing systems from home. My son-in-law is a mechanical engineer working for the US Army, and his government office is sending folks in alternating cubicles home every other day, in order to space folks out with empty cubicles between them.

I can say that even in Huntsville, traffic is a lot lighter than normal. All the stores I frequent - Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot - continue to be open. Only Lowe's is still keeping their normal business hours.

Comment

I am working from home now and this is one of the first times that I wish I did not live alone. I did not realize how much I need that human connection at my office and gym until this whole disaster started. it is driving me nuts. However, I am trying to keep things in perspective. I am in a much better place than many right now. If nothing else, I still have a job. This whole thing is messed up and it is going to start wearing on everyone.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Dewesq55 I'm pretty sure that's what Freud was talking about.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I appreciate that. You are a good man. ecowper

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Albeit virtual, ya gots human connection here in Th Pit that might help tide ya over.
          I feel no such attraction to hominids, an most generally prefer solitude.

I'm on vacation but nothing different at the poultry plant when I left Friday, at least where I am at.

Looking at the lack of certain chicken products at Wal-Mart I would say IQF (Individually Quickly Frozen) products are in high demand, maybe not as high as toilet paper, but high. Our Wal-Mart apparently has replaced the Toilet Paper section with BBQ supplies. Should have taken a picture.

I was the walking dead in Wal-Mart trying to shop 4 hours before I typically get out of bed. Had to make the "low volume" shopping time.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          How was th product availability, Jerod?
          My BFF in Pittsburg (TX) sex she's havin issues findin basic necessities, jus curious...

• theroc
          theroc commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting. We'd be thrilled with some fresh chicken if we could find it. All those posts of yardbird cooks on SUWYC are driving us crazy.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Pilgrims, or Sanderson's?

Wife still working in HVAC parts distribution and has been deemed essential.
        Daughter has been working from home since last Mon since her insurance company has satellite capabilities
        Son told his boss he had symtoms and got sent home, now he plays video games all day for the next three weeks....unpaid.
        Me off on disability since Nov, I'm so healthy its sickening
        As of midnight tonight Ontario is closing everything except essential businesses, I read the list of closures, it would seem every business is essential. Retail taking biggest hit.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          That's the same deal here in NY. I would estimate 70% of the work force is considered essential. Go figure.

Working from home right now and enjoying it. I worked from home sporadically anyway, so no big deal. Travel is a big deal though - I am supposed to go to a substation in Hickory, NC next week. Not sure if that is going to work out. My wife told me if I go I'll have to self quarantine in the RV in the driveway for 14 days lol.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe not a bad deal either....

While I was typing the last response, I got an email explaining that I am an essential critical infrastructure worker. Man, I feel special now.

Comment

I’m working from home too. Working on my Primo xl and the Corona20.

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Is that 20 Corona's a day ????

I have been home twiddling my thumbs ever since NY closed the courts to all but essential services, which my area of the profression doesn't qualify as. But my S.O. is a health care worker (part time) so she still has to work her shifts. It's a bit stressful for both of us having to worry about what she might be bringing home. We are also getting on each other's nerves a bit more than usual when both at home with not much of anything to do and worrying about finances.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m sitting in my car now just ringer out of the house. I’m gonna head over to the store to try and pick up fresh produce for the in-laws. We need wine too. Got that order in already.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis