Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami question

I am doing another pastrami. Do I read the recipe correctly in that we only smoke it to 160*F and not 203?

Yeah, since you take it to 203 on the steam. I took mine to 200 on the smoke since I had a feeling it could use it. And it did, especially the point.

I plan to do another flat, and just go to about 165 on the smoke. Then 203-205 on the steam.

Comment

My memory must be going. I thought the steam was to 120 - sorry, guess I'd best re-read the whole thing.

Comment

I took mine to 203 (206 actually, overshooting the mark a bit) in the smoker (8 hours)/oven (2 hours). Then after 24 hours in the fridge (the directions say 12 hours but 24 worked better, timewise, for me), I steamed it to 203. That's how I interpreted Meathead's directions. It was hands down the best meat I've ever cooked in my PBC.

We've had this discussion before. The instructions are a bit confusing because although he says 160, he talks about a total cook time of 10 hours or more. When he mentions it taking 10 hours depending on the thickness, I figured he meant to have enough smoke for it to reach 160 and then it can finish without smoke with a total cook time approximating 10 hours.

I've never smoked any kind of meat that took 10 hours or more to reach 160. That's why the directions are confusing:

Smoke it fat-side up over indirect heat until it reaches 160°F. Add wood when the smoke dwindles. If you wish you can smoke it for 3 to 4 hours and finish it indoors, but this stuff can take all the smoke you throw at it, so outdoors is better. It could take 10 hours or more depending on the thickness.

Jerod Broussard let us know how it turns out when you only take it to 165 before putting it in the fridge to chill. I'm really curious.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; May 7, 2015, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          GREAT memory, Kathryn! I'll have to pull out my original print out and go through it again. OK, maybe I AM losing it! I'd forgotten all about the "before" thread you linked to.

That ten hours likely needs to be updated. Until recently the recipe said to smoke until the meat hit 190 to 200F. He revised it down to 160 because it's really the steam phase that makes the meat tender. The smoking phase is for flavor and bark so 190 was overkill. I'll point this out to Meathead.

Comment

Thank you so much! I really thought I may have lost it! What change in the taste/texture does the new cooking technique bring us?

I have a corned beef (store bought) seasoned and sitting in the refrigerator for a planned Sunday smoke. Might try the new cooking recommendation.
          Last edited by richinlbrg; May 8, 2015, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by richinlbrg View Post
            Thank you so much! I really thought I may have lost it! What change in the taste/texture does the new cooking technique bring us?
            richinlbrg I'm thinking it's more of a time saving step. I have taken a pastrami flat to 203 on the smoker then to 203 again the next day steaming, and it was wonderful- sliceable, tender but not mushy, juicy as much as you'd expect it to be.

I'm doing one again today with the Slow 'N Sear, and this one I plan to take to the 160 range only, I might let it go a wee bit higher to develop more bark, not sure. I will update you after it's all said & done if I notice a diff but I'm 99% sure there'll be no appreciable difference.

Comment

• The Burn
              The Burn commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmm, I guess your meat becomes a deductible R&D business expense now :-)

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              The Burn no sir, just regular ol' dinner for the fam

GREAT timing, Huskee! And good morning!

I can't wait to hear your result! Thank you for planning your cook around my needs! LOL
            Last edited by richinlbrg; May 8, 2015, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by richinlbrg View Post
              GREAT timing, @Huskee!

I can't wait to hear your result! Thank you for planning your cook around my needs! LOL
              Top notch full service here at The Pit, where if you have a question- we cook it to find out the answer. Lol.

Comment

Thank you so much, Pit Boss and Huskee for the additional information.

Dave, telling us that Meathead did indeed revise the pastrami cook helps a lot. Like richinlbrg , I had printed out the original information and then when I got around to smoking my first pastrami, didn't note the change until someone brought it up here.

It is confusing, for sure, and we're so lucky to have you, Jerod Broussard and Huskee here for clarification and even for testing out the new recommendations. Huskee, I hope your pastrami cook today turns out as succulent as your previous cooks. Saving time would be great.

Kathryn

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Kathryn!

You folks have to be on your toes> I am CONSTANTLY sneaking revisions and improvements in as we test and improve. Chef Ryan and I wondered if it was necessary to smoke it that long since the steaming is what tenderizes, so we tested and discovered a couple of hours of smoke is all you need (remember smoke stick best to cool wet meat). We settled on 160 to make sure the meat was pasteurized in case you don't get around to steaming it for a few days. Sure speeds things up!

Comment

Thanks, Meathead. That's going to shave a lot of hours off the smokefest portion pastrami prep. Your recipe rocks, BTW.

Kathryn

Comment

• richinlbrg
                    richinlbrg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, what fzxdoc said!! Thank you for wording it so well, Kathryn!

Thanks for the coment, Meathead!

My first pastrami I followed recs from multiple pit members to smoke to 203. For my second one, MH had responded to a comment on a post that he had listed specific temps in his recipe, so I followed his advice in the recipe to only go to 160 and then steam to 190. They were both good, but IMO the second version was better. Maybe it was just that I was really hungry that day, but the meat sure did seem to be less dry the second time around.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis