Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought a surveillance camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought a surveillance camera

I have a house in the country side. I've been thinking of putting up a camera for surveillance purposes for some time, and this week I got around to doing a little research. My main objectives were:

1. Simple
    2. Real good quality/robust
    3. Not having to buy a complete super duper package for top dollar. Basically I just want a camera that I can use off-site.

My research isn't extensive, but I found a product I like that fits my needs. I pulled the trigger on a Reolink RLC-423. I'm just gonna buy that one, but by mounting it in a smart location I will basically cover a large part of the garden.
    I will mount it (tomorrow) high up on the 2nd floor, and the cabling (using Power Over Ethernet) will run under the roof, so it's gonna be hard to tamper with. The thing I love about it already (hooked it up at home) is the rock solid construction, and that it rotates 360° and I can pan/zoom/move it arbitrarily using an app in my smart phone. Plus it has motion sensored recording. I just plugged in a 64GB micro sd card for keeping recordings. You can of course upload video to an FTP server, or the cloud, also.

Here's two photos of it. I'll let you know how it goes, but so far I'm very impressed. Dead easy setup and config. I included an iPhone charger on the second photo to get a sense of the size. Here's a link to the product also: https://reolink.com/product/rlc-423/

This is the first ever of something 'smart home' related or surveillance rated for me. Does anyone else have experience with this product, or what does your home security setup look like?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6273.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	816854

Name:	IMG_6275.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	816855

Henrik here is my home security set-up. Completely wireless. Couldn't resist!

Name:	IMG_20190919_200249_069-01.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	816860

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha ha, cool! Sure is better than my camera!

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      Might have a problem using this security system at a house I might not get to for a month at a time at this time of year.

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      I love dogies, but as far as security generally a few steaks will buy them, or at least lure them into a containment area.

No experience with that, but it certainly has impressive specs and features. As part of the Microsoft Azure Core Security Services team and someone who has been involved in enterprise level security for over 25 years, my only recommendation, and it is a strong one, is to ensure that you either set it up to automatically install any vendor firmware updates, or do it manually and check for updates frequently. This is one of the biggest problems in the IoT space. People tend to install a bunch of IoT devices in their homes and then basically forget about, or can't be bothered with, installing security updates.
    I notice that your device has a firmware update dated March 6th, 2020 which likely means it is newer than what the camera shipped with. Update now. :-)

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I’m with ya, been working with software for 20 years, so I’m one of those few firmware updaters:-)

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      And *change the default password*.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Done.

Before mounting on the 2nd floor figure out a method to be able to keep the lens clean. Otherwise it will accumulate dust and dirt and eventually your image quality will suffer.

Comment

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      Indeed...I've been needing to go clean my nest cam...

I've got 4 Arlo camera's at our vacation/retirement home. Bit of a shock to have it go off and see a guy inside our locked porch at 2 in the morning. I could see he was baffled at just what to do next, and finally left. I was 2 hours away, and it was Thanksgiving morning. I was pretty sure he had not actually damaged anything or took anything. He had not gotten into the house itself, although the porch is furnished, it's unheated. Pretty sure if it had been warm he probably would have sacked out on one of the couches. As I said, it was Thanksgiving, and we were scheduled to go to our son's house for dinner, and he's just a small detour from the most direct way there. So, we went to dinner, then my wife and I went on to our house.

I got lucky, and what I had hoped actually happened. As we came into town we came up behind one of Milford's finest. I blinked my high beams a couple of times, and he finally decided I wasn't just bumping it by accident, and pulled into a parking lot. I explained what had happened, and asked if he would follow me around the corner to my house, which he did.

Found the guy's footprints. The porch has two doors, one on each end, just storm doors, and he had forced the lock that I knew was not very reliable. (It now has a hasp and padlock. We never use it anyway, and in the summer I will do something more usable that looks nicer). No damage, nothing missing. I showed the officer the video, and the guy looks right into the camera. The officer right away said, "Oh, yeah, I know him!" One of the town drunks, who lives just a few blocks away from our house. He said he would go and have a talk with him. Wasn't really concerned about charges, just wanted him to impress on the guy it wouldn't be a good idea to come back, since he'd be on camera again. I emailed the officer a copy of the video so he could have it to show him.

Milford removes the snow from the sidewalks parallel to the street, so I thought I'd get by without snow removal, but changed my mind with that. Paid a guy to clear our drive, so it wouldn't look quite so deserted. Actually, I still haven't paid him, he hasn't sent me a bill, but its been clear every time we make a trip over. I told him just to come by after everyone else got cleared, no hurry, so I'm guessing I'll get on big bill one of these days. He's only charging me 30 bucks a pop, so my coronavirus payment should cover it.

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      I have Arlos here as well. Not perfect, but they do the job.

I went completely wireless with my setup. Netgear Arlo Pro 2 was my choice simply because I am not locked into a monthly fee. I had to play around with camera placement but feel like after about 2 years, I’ve got them dialed in. I do have to change the batteries every 4-5 months but am very pleased. Placement where I can easily get a ladder to them and provide good video coverage, but away from the bad guys was key.
    Last edited by au4stree; March 18, 2020, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you change your batteries, or do you mean recharge them. The Arlo Pro 2 is also what I have. Also like the wireless aspect.

• au4stree
      au4stree commented
      Editing a comment
      Bogy, I have 2 cameras and 3 batteries. When one battery is close to dying, I recharge my spare and swap/change them out without having to charge the whole camera unit. The Arlo Pro 2's have been really good for our needs. Of course, there are other brands (Eufy, Blink) that have come out that are less expensive and have more options (like activity zones). But alas, these will do for now.

They burp and fart, but they’re 24/7!
    Attached Files

Comment

You can always mount old non working cameras around with signs about video survelence. Many times theives will scout out a place in the daytime first.

Comment

I have this, but she's not very effective.

Name:	guarddog.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	817098

Comment

Henrik When you get this set up share your log on creds here so that we can all vicariously visit Sweden. :-)

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Now that would be reality TV for y'all, you can move the camera, zoom in when I'm grilling, et.c. :-)

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Get one of those camera people can talk through - "Hey Henrik, what rub did you put on those ribs? No, the other ones..."

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            I have one of the Arlo cameras in our living room. My son and his family stayed in the house overnight a while back, when a voice suddenly asked them what the heck they were doing in my house. I could also turn the tv on and off, change channels, and turn the lights on and off. Then I turned it all off because I really didn't want to be alerted every time one of them walked by a camera.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis