Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What were they thinking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What were they thinking?

I had a friend send me pictures of the meat dept. in his local Walmart. There was no meat! People in a panic bought all of it. There were no dry beans either, just empty shelves in several areas of the store. That seems a little extreme to me. We have plenty in the freezer. If that runs out we'll be serving squirrel for dinner.
    Last edited by Oak Smoke; March 16, 2020, 07:36 AM.

People acting irrationally in Walmart? Go figure.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Point well taken!

It's not just Walmart, our other local grocers are cleaned out of certain items. On one news feature it was suggested that the psychological reason behind it is that, since people have no control over what is happening, hoarding gives them a sense of control.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Murdy The last time I went to the store sold out were eggs, pasta, rice, dry beans, ramen, flour, TP, and PT (paper towels). Shelves that still had product had taken obvious hits.

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder if the PT is being sold to those that couldn't latch on to some TP.

• ComfortablyNumb
      Editing a comment
      treesmacker I've heard that baby wipes are also in short supply. Being an old duffer I hadn't checked out that section, but the PT might be used for that as well.

I went to the local meat locker I visit usually every week or so as part of our normal grocery routine... I went in Saturday (like usual) There was NO PARKING... people were parked across the street in other lots once inside there were no carts or baskets. The line snaked through the store. There was no frozen ground beef... a lot of the frozen products were missing.... people were buy 5+lb bags of fresh stuff to take home to freeze... it was STUPID... I ended up leaving with my lb of thick cut backen, some marinated turkey, a couple of sirloins, a couple bags of my weekly beef jerky fix, and a couple of pork butts (which I smoked yesterday... pictures to come)… .

when we visited Wal-Mart later to get the rest of our groceries …. the meat wall was pretty well destroyed... the frozen chicken breast were gone... there was a pretty hard run on Spam and other canned meats, all the large packs of water were gone... no loaf of bread to be found, milk was almost gone, and eggs were mostly out too... I just kind of roamed around to see where the panic purchases were... also noticed no cough drops available... cold and flu meds were sparse... we went at 6:00 in the morning to avoid the typical sunday afternoon rush and because I needed to get a couple of things before I could put the aforementioned pork butts on the cooker.

On a side note there as a pallet in the middle of an isle of Angel Soft and people walking buy it contemplating if they were that desperate... As an avid Charmin fan I don't know about angel soft... is it really that bad... even the generic stuff was sold out....

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, when you live in your "Location" strange things are going to happen.

True here also but the only thing left was corned beef brisket packages. I say take advantage and pastrami time.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok,
      I’ll admit. I went back twice and got 4 corned beefs. It was the only thing left besides Beyond meat. Ok by me.

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Found corned beef, but had to venture to a second store for cabbage and carrots.

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      If you can’t find cabbage and carrots there’s always the pastrami Reuben.

Just noticed on the Today show, where they usually have a crowd of people pressed against the window in the background, they have two cops standing a few feet apart.

Comment

Sheeple acting as they have been programmed.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Sheeple. I like that word.

K.

• Grapefarmer
        Grapefarmer commented
        Editing a comment
        Kind of like our congress

Went to Publix yesterday - meat shelves cleared out and no milk. I also went to the paper towel/TP aisle just for giggles and there are no paper products or purified water. People are out of their minds.

Comment

Same up here in the sticks, its all over the place.
        Walking Dead is almost reality.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't bother going to the CDC. And Terminus is overrated as a safe place, no matter what the signs say.

I went to Costco on Saturday morning. I got there 45 minutes early....and was the 20th person in line. By the time I left, you couldn't get onto the access road to get to Costco let alone find a parking space. Fortunately, I was able to grab some ground beef, pork chops, steak tips, and a spiral ham. I hated adding to the frenzy but we also need food too.

A side note: there was no chicken and sausage because the truck delivering that product got in an accident on the way there trying to get there before the doors opened.

You really can't make this up

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          To be fair, accidents happen to shipping trucks every day, sometimes even with the entire load wasted because the cooling system fails. The difference is you usually don't notice because people are panic buying more than they reasonably need... unfortunately it only adds to the panic. Glad you got some necessities though, much luckier than some. Only been a few isolated fights around here and no reported serious injuries, other areas not so lucky.

• panteracfh3
          panteracfh3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh I get accidents happen all the time but the manager addressed the situation to us as we were in line. It's too bad the driver felt they needed to drive differently than normal to try and make a deadline that may have been unreasonable. I don't recall hearing if there were any injuries but I hope all are ok.

We definitely have enough to bunker in for a couple weeks. I think the mass hysteria at the stores will decrease soon as many have stocked up for a while and the stores can catch up

Lessons I hope we all re-learn from the experiences of our ancestors. As a descendant of generations of farmers I remember all the harvesting, canning and preserving work that went into having enough to get through the winters. No judgements here because we do live in a different society than they did, but this time might be a good time to look back and decide to do better for the next time.

And, on a side note, my kids will no longer joke about having to grow up with cartons of home canned tomatoes and vegetables stored under their beds.🙂

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          Editing a comment
          Living far from shopping, we also tend to be stocked up all the time.

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          ComfortablyNumb So true. I remember when we were assigned to a particular Indian reservation the closest fully stocked grocery store was exactly 73 miles away. We would borrow a horse trailer to go grocery shopping monthly.

I was at Sam's Club on Saturday, just a routine visit, and thought I might pick up a butt to smoke this week. There was ZERO pork for sale. Nada. All gone. Also all chicken was gone. Only thing they had were steaks, a few cuts like "London broil", and for the first time ever in my store, they had 2 packs of beef short ribs. They seemed awfully large as they were close to a foot long slabs with 3 bones each, and only had about 1" of meat above the bone, but they were Angus choice, so I was tempted. SWMBO told me "NO" that we didn't need a $55 pack of giant beef ribs with a freezer full of steaks and such already. I left with a frozen 10# bag of chicken wings, as that was about the only uncooked chicken I could find, and SWMBO "blessed" the purchase of chicken versus beef.

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          I can’t believe you didn’t leave with those. :-)

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Polarbear777 if I venture out on my own that way this week I may sneak back in and get it. The cryvac packs of the beef short ribs were separated into two 3 rib slabs, so you could use one and freeze one.

Have not been to any of these places. All these people are freaking about the virus, then they pack themselves into a warehouse store and breathe heavy for hours, while they wait in line. Seems legit.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          My Sam's club was not too bad, and there was no line to checkout - I usually do the scan and go app and checkout on my phone, or do it at the self checkout.

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          My son made that same observation the other day... “You’re all gonna die because you’re idiots. Wandering around a store with a thousand other diseased people buying TP & ramen.” LOL

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
        we didn't need a $55 pack of giant beef ribs
        I don't get it.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          She thinks they are too fattening or high in cholesterol or something... she is on me to lose weight, and she is probably right that 12 pounds of beef ribs is not the path to weight loss...

I went to Costco two weeks ago and they were already out of chicken breast and ground turkey. I knew that it would only get worse as this virus spread. Once the NBA started postponing games, I knew it was about to hit the fan, so rather than dealing with crowds at a grocery store while trying to find decent meat, I turned to Porter Road. I have a few tri-tips, chucks, and a pork shoulder that should be shipping out this week.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis