Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My turn(ings)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My turn(ings)

While cleaning the other day, I found a long forgotten box of my wood turnings. Back in the late '70s through the early '80s I used to sell these at juried craft shows. Anyway, I thought some here might enjoy seeing some of them.

First up is a small, (~ 4"), turned box made from osage orange.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20200310_104909[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.56 MB ID:	814974

Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20200310_105011[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.40 MB ID:	814975

Two ~ 5" spalted curly maple bowls made from the same piece of maple.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20200310_105348[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.00 MB ID:	814976

A maple burl goblet ~ 9" tall. I left the walls thick to show more of the burl's edge.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20200310_110031[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.86 MB ID:	814977

This is a bubinga salad bowl that has very thick walls and is very heavy. I thought the thick walls and heavy weight would appeal to men, but I guess I was wrong 'cause I still have it...

Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20200310_110512[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.88 MB ID:	814978

A zebra wood gear shift knob. There was some interest in these, and I sold a few, but it was difficult at that time to come up with thread size, and I had to buy taps and drill bits for almost everyone I sold, so I stopped selling them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20200310_105439[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.70 MB ID:	814979

Walnut salad bowl. This is unfinished, but I don't remember why.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20200310_110242[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.28 MB ID:	814980

The most expensive piece I sold back in the day was about $150. Similar stuff sells now for $250 to $350.
    Last edited by RonB; March 14, 2020, 02:24 PM.

Nice works!

Comment

Very cool! Wood is amazing & making it even better with the talent you have is worth the view!

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanx FM.

Nice, however the "jury" is still out if I really like them.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanx Jerod.

Well, the conversation here just took a really good turn.

Several of them, actually.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanx Jim.

Beautiful work.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanx Don.

Round and round we go.Thats no Bowl -o- ney.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Groan! Where’s the thumbs down tally? 🤓

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        FireMan I ate that sucka!

I almost asked if you were selling but then I realized those dishes are the same as the dishes I have now, you got to wash them after you use them.

Comment

Could be a good ''Hobby Thread"
        Do we have other members with hobbies to show off?

Comment

Awesome Ron!!!

Comment

Looks like stuff from a book. Great job!

Comment

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Beautiful pieces Ron. I did a fair amount of woodturning about 15 years ago but it tapered off. You are inspiring me to have another go. Thanks for sharing your work.

Comment

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Post 'em up when you get back to it.

I always enjoy seeing wood-turned pieces, especially when they are as beautiful as yours, RonB . What made you taper off with the hobby, and what hobby (BBQ?) have you replaced it with? All that creativity certainly can't be lying dormant.

Kathryn

Comment

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanx Kathryn. A job change in '83 reduced the time available, and I worked most Saturdays. Then my Dad passed in '92 followed by my Mom in '94 and the house, (and shop), were sold. I switched to photography and have posted some photos here in the past. I also started baking and although I had been grilling for years, I got serious about it when I found AR. I love to cook too, and do almost all the cooking now.

Almost forgot - I also built two houses during this time...
                  Last edited by RonB; March 15, 2020, 05:39 PM.

That goblet is epic!

Comment

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanx. I thought it was too, but it never sold although I did get a lot of comments about it.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis