Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carnage in Hospitality industry.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carnage in Hospitality industry.

Who else is in the hospitality industry?

The Virus has crushed us. I’m just checking in with other folks as sort of a channel check.

I am curious as to what happens at the ground level, a bottoms up view. From hotel, rental car, caterers, florists, cafes, linen service, copy centers, janitorial service, party planners, cake decorators etc.. everywhere on the food chain.

Please no political commentary or armchair quarterbacking.

Just looking for “man on the street info.”

My events have been crushed. How about you?

PS. Banquet Chef for hire. 😃

I feel for you, paisano. It's going to get worse before it gets better, but this thing will run its course and things will recover. Maybe when it's all over people will be ready to release pent up partying and it will be glory days ahead. Hopefully you can keep the roof overhead until then.

Meanwhile, the industry I work in is booming. If you can handle the physical labour, get on with UPS until it's all over. And if you do, and if you can when it's over, keep the job at UPS, the benefits are fantastic.

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      I worked at UPS unloading trucks and sorting for a year and a half. Loved the job, loved the people, and loved the benefits. And for that part time job anything over 4 hours was time and a half. So when I got to pull a double shift during the holiday hours the money was great too. I worked the 10 PM - 2 AM shift so I had that along with another day job. Hard work of course but I was in the best shape of my life then. Basically a 4 hour workout every night.

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      Full benefits, part time!! Im looking into this. The benefits is one of the reasons im still doing my 9-5

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      tenphases PM sent. Any others interested PM me, UPS is now hiring thousands.

An economy is an amazing, intricate, and complex thing. Hospitality is one of the more visible elements because it's less of a necessity in the day to day lives of consumers and is all about "getting together". We have a horse tack business my bride runs. A small storefront and online presence, but the biggest slice of sales occur from the outfitted trailer that gets dragged to horsey events. Like many other "event things", horse shows/competitions are being cancelled left and right. Huge hole in the business bucket. And the hospitality folk get hurt because we won't be renting a hotel room for a night or two, won't be eating in restaurants as norm, and others will lose because we're not buying fuel to travel, and so on. Unlike the hospitality folk we don't suffer short term loses from quickly perishable food stocks, but cash flow and profit will be hurt from the loss of sales potential and inventory will languish. Seasonal and trend driven stuff might end up going past it's desirable life cycle. This will be the time when the importance of the folks responsible for running the business more than doing what the business does will have their skills tested mightily. When the worst passes it won't be over. The hospitality folk might see a quicker rebound which is the opposite swing of the pendulum to the rapid deterioration of business they experience right now. One of the things we're thinking/working on right now is our supply stream in the months, perhaps year, ahead. Some high percentage of the inventory we carry/offer comes from Europe where they are approaching full shut down in response to the health scare. That puts a pretty good dent in the probable inventory flow into the future. It shouldn't be catastrophic but it will put yet another dent in the business flow that will last far longer than some can imagine. Like I said earlier, it's complex...……….

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      Editing a comment
      Well illustrated.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes sir. Well said

Edit: I just read this again and the information above is certainly spot on for so many. Simply change the type of work and from upstream to down stream you nailed it for a lot of us. Thanks again.
      Last edited by HouseHomey; March 13, 2020, 09:55 AM.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Edit

The Glenn Beck Show on the radio does a Corona Virus update at the beginning of his third hour weekdays. It's starts at 9 AM Eastern time and the update is after the 11 AM news. His take is just the facts with no BS although he does try to combat the hysteria that he perceives the media is causing. This is not a political statement - the media always hypes the more sensational side of any event.
    Last edited by RonB; March 12, 2020, 07:11 AM.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      "The Glenn Beck Show ...This is not a political statement."

AhAHAHAHAHAHAHH. No, really, pull the other one.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      rickgregory - I didn't say the show wasn't political - just the Corona report.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Glenn Beck tried to combat the hysteria caused by the media??? The giggle factor is way too much for me in this one.

We are having flights cancel. India, where we were going end of the month, has shut its borders. Not even getting charter requests.

Comment

• THE Humble Texan
      THE Humble Texan commented
      Editing a comment
      My engineering company and my wife's engineering company have stop travel. This will likely shut down most if not all construction of any kind sooner or later. We just keep plugging along until we can't because they close the door or we get sick.

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      THE Humble Texan I am waiting for that shoe to drop here as well. The A/E/C company I work for has offices throughout the US as well as overseas. It's only a matter of time.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      My company is at "only if necessary" as of today. But since most of the travel is between EU and US, the timing was kind of serendipitous. Fortunately, we're pretty distributed geographically and have a pretty strong remote work contingent. So we know how to do it.
      Last edited by EdF; March 12, 2020, 05:45 PM.

There are unpresidented things happening here. The Houston live stock show and rodeo has been cancelled. The reporter we were watching said that the overall impact on Houston would be a loss of over 200 million dollars. On the home front, I stood in line at the supermarket yesterday behind a woman who had a shopping cart with 80 lbs of pinto beans, several bags of flour, and quite a bit of salt. Her only comment was "I'd rather have this and not need it than wish I had bought it when I could have". I'm not ready to turn prepper, but I can see where she was coming from.
    Last edited by Oak Smoke; March 12, 2020, 08:00 AM.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Try to stay upwind of that woman.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Hail, cain't say I can fault her logic. Least it wasn't a cart fulla TP.

I've got containers of product from China and India that are sitting in ports in LA and Houston. Just waiting to be X-ray, unloaded and/or released. This is making business very tough right now. I have customers that need product and there is literally nothing I can do about it. Drives me nuts!

I was supposed to be in Austin this week for a trade show, Cancelled. Obvisouly, I cancelled my hotel which is a direct hit to the hospitality industry there. I know I am not the only one.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Just be careful with the bubble wrap once you receive your products...the bubble wrap is filled with Chinese air.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, we've needed to cancel several planned trips.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Hopefully there was no wagyu in those containers.

My wife is a court reporter and I ponder what the courts might do. Arraignment and speedy trial issues have to be handled in their respective time frames.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      ComfortablyNumb Sorry, I forgot the . My bad.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      My Mom was a court reporter. They were able to do a certain amount of simpler proceedings via videoconference from the jail to the court room. I suspect that will be the preference going forward. It was not unusual for attorneys to appear by phone as well.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually a lot of trials here have been delayed. an if I unnerstand it, one's right to a speedy trial has been 'put on hold'...lemme go check my local paper.
      Here's what I was referencin seein, in th local ragsheet...

I am in the auto lending business. Far from hospitality but figured I'd give some perspective. We have been instructed to be more aware and unassuming during underwriting and to consider employment issues and how they may be affected by the virus such as huge closings, increased medical costs and sickness.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      No joke.

Tom Douglas, a Beard award winning chef here in Seattle, just closed all of his restaurants for 2 months. That hits about 800 people.

If you're in a community that hasn't been hit or has just a couple of cases and are wondering why the big deal... get ready. This will hit your city or area and it's not pretty. And we're doing more than most areas - we have a world renowned virology center at the university here that has developed a test kit and is ramping testing up quickly, we're generally being cautious about closing things (which hurts, no doubt about it), the Gates Foundation just kicked in $100m for research and is going to have home test kits available next week.

The economy here has been great and we have a lot of resources... and still. This is hurting a lot of people. Douglas will be able to reopen his places and survive... some places will not be so lucky.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      By the way... if you usually go out to eat (even lunch, etc) and you don't want to now... you can still help. Buy a gift cert and use it later. Order delivery if they offer it. Order takeout if they offer it. Sit down meals aren't the only option for many places.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m in Orange County. Trust me. We are feeling it. Costa Mesa is right next door where the state wanted to house patients from the AFB in riverside. Federal injunction Stopped that.

Around here there's a run on toilet paper, I just went 3 major supermarket chains and not a square to be had.
    Every store was packed with people panic buying.
    Look at how many major sports leagues have pulled the plug on they're seasons now, even the NCAA's are out last I heard.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, toilet paper and bottled water. WTH, are they going to shut down the waterworks department?

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Costco is out of TP but has an aisle full of adult diapers...

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Not a step I thought I'd take yet but I'm all in on the diapers.

We had an emergency meeting yesterday at my hospital. We have been informed that masks and many surgical supplies will run out in the near future and cannot be ordered at this time. How the heck are we supposed to take care of our patients and at the same time -rote then ourselves? Staying home is not an option. Considered patient abandonment and I would lose my license, the media is responsible for this hysteria

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow. Just wow!

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      I was at a local hospital today in their hematology clinic for some blood work I get done every 2 months. The nurse said they were running out of masks. They just had an order delivered today. 6 boxes with 50 in each, $400!

Hang in there, Homey and the rest of you hospitality folks. Was supposed to accompany my wife to Philadelphia next week for a large conference. It's cancelled. That meeting usually draws 15,000 people or so. Big hit to hotels, restaurants, etc.

Gonna be mostly at home for the foreseeable future, but that does allow time to plan some fun cooks. And I've decided that the pork butt in my freezer is now my 401K.

Comment

I have not seen an issue in restaurant volumes here. I know we have curtailed travel as many companies. We also are trying to get out of Annual Sales Meeting but huge deposit may prevent that.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Out customers wrote a lot of checks and simply canceled.

2 rounds of NCAA basketball tournament and CWS cancelled for here in Omaha. On the plus side, you will be able to get a decent deal on a hotel room in June around here without having to pay triple the rack rate.
      Last edited by Craigar; March 12, 2020, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        Editing a comment
        Just got home to find out MLB spring training cancelled and opening day pushed back at least two weeks. Local libraries have stopped all events. Spokane cancelled St.PadDay parade. News was saying NCAA games in Spokane would be played without fans in attendance. Meanwhile volume is up at UPS, guess nobody told those packages to self-quarantine!

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        What's funny is the building that can hold over 17k people for basketball is named the CHI Health Center, but yet we can't have any people inside.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    Rubs Promo
    Meat-Up in Memphis