Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Texan Amarillo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Texan Amarillo

Kinda off topic, considering it's not a review about the food. Work is going to take me to Amarillo several times a year. I've been there three times so far, just got back last night. You can't drive through the town without seeing an ad for the Big Texan and their famous "free" 72-oz steak. I did a little searching on the board here and found a couple of mentions. Obviously it's a food challenge and if you lose you pay. Google it if you want to know what you have to do.

There's no way I could eat 25% of that, and it's not exactly high on my list to get over there to try the food, but I would imagine sooner or later I'll have to try it. My coworkers and I joke about it all the time. Yesterday one of them told me about the record. Some gal has done it multiple times. First time, just once, under 5 minutes. Second time in she ate the challenge twice in a row pretty fast. Third time she came in she finished three challenges in 20 minutes. Think about it. Over 13 pounds of steak plus a lot of fixings in 20 minutes. And she weighs like 125. There are videos on YouTube. I'd keep my fingers away from her plate.

I do have a friend who did it, but he is a really big guy. You have to eat the sides, too. Your coworker’s story doesn’t seem believable.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB Compared to Molly, that steak was very tender! ;-)

Watching these competitive eaters, I notice they don't chew much, rather swallow mouthfuls. I'm guessing that has something to do with how they are able to put it away.

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB if you want tender I think you order a different steak from the menu

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      She used to live in these parts and has a record or two as well: http://www.stellasbarandgrill.com/stellanator/

Sometimes, us skinny people can be surprisin...

Especial when we're hongry!

Comment

Ate it all, then asked for pie...they laughed, and gave me a t-shirt

Comment

Amarillo is part of my old sales route. There are a couple of places there that I always joyed. The Lone Star is a steak and burger place just south of town on the Claude highway. Rib eye steak and burgers is all they serve. They are both outstanding. The steak will be one of the thickest you've seen. The other is Green chili Wiley's it is out of Amarillo south on I 27 toward Canyon on the east side of the highway. I've never had anything there that I didn't like. If you make it down to Canyon try Feldman wrong way dinner. Ask for the blackened rib eye. The last time I was there it wasn't on the menu, but all you had to do was ask for it.

Comment

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the tips, I'll check them out when I can.

Th Iceman done a right credible version, led me back to th Original:

Comment

My parents have stopped there a few times and mentioned the chicken fried steak is really good, in the event you wanted to go in and try something.

but in regards to the challenge, each time they have been in someone was attempting it. They really enjoyed the way the restaurant cheered them on. And, each time, neither completed the challenge, not even close!
          Last edited by barelfly; March 14, 2020, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis