Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft and COVID-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft and COVID-19

So all Puget Sound and San Franciso Bay area employees have now been asked to work from home until at least 3/25 (at least those whose jobs allow them to do so). I wonder how well the local ISPs will be able to handle the increased day time bandwidth. :-) Also how well our VPN infrastructure can handle the load. This is about 35% of our total worldwide work force. As one who works from home nearly 100% of the time, I really hope this doesn't mess up my remote access. :-)
    https://news.microsoft.com/2020/03/0...nty-employees/

I wish I could do respiratory therapy from home. This gig I can though. Workin' today while my stickburner's full of a brisket, pork butt and 2 chucks. Gotta go start the fire....

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Be safe Huskee. Enjoy that cook!

Might be like the old days. Click, walk away, come back, read, click, walk away, come back, change, enter, walk away.... Repeat until your computer crashes. Start over.

Comment

For those of us not located in one of the high-risk areas of the country, now would be a great time to donate blood if you are eligible to do so. Between the virus, tornado outbreak in TN, etc., the supply of donated blood is bound to be affected in a negative way. I just made an appointment for Sunday afternoon.

Comment

• TheQuietOne
        TheQuietOne commented
        Editing a comment
        We had a blood drive at work on Wednesday. Normally, get 90 presenting and get 65-70 units out of that. Only 60 presented and they got 41 units. The women from the blood bank said surgeries were being canceled due to the shortage. So if you feel well, be like Steve (and me). Give blood. You'll get heartfelt thank yous, cookies, and juice.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        TheQuietOne, my local Red Cross donor center unfortunately closed a few months ago, and they just do blood drives in various locations around town. If that wasn't the case, I would go back to donating platelets, which you can do every week or two or a maximum of 24 per year.

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been scheduled to donate next Monday. I have been since over 3 months ago, the last time I gave double reds. Just got the notice I'm eligible to donate again.

I tired teleworking, for some reason they couldn't fit the processing plant in my house. Some folks have NO vision.

Comment

A major client of mine is owned by a Chinese company and their factories have been shut down for going on a couple of months I believe. The people at headquarters are constantly traveling to China. There is one case now in that town too. I'm wondering how long until they get hit and shut down. I work from my own office but usually spend 1 day a week at their headquarters. I'm less and less enthusiastic about going in there these days! I did not go in this week.

Comment

All of my travel has been cut off - even now domestically. Clients don’t want to see me if I have been stuck in an airplane now. Our colleagues in London aren’t even allowed to come to the home office now. Could get ugly.

Comment

I just got word that my company is on a temporary travel ban now. I work from home but had two trips planned in March I had to cancel. Guess I will just stay home and keep the grills lit.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like a solid "Plan B"

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm supposed to take a trip to Beijing and Shanghai in May for some annual work we do in our data centres there. I just sent a contingency plan to the team on how we can get our Chinese partner to do the work instead. :-)

I work remotely (from home) and so far the general speeds in the Seattle area are fine. I'd bet MSFT IT was tasked with getting more bandwidth from their upstream providers. Also, honestly, the vast majority of my online stuff isn't data transfer intensive.
            Last edited by rickgregory; March 5, 2020, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Google's European head offices are right next door to one of my businesses. They have 3 office blocks on the street & about 8000 employees. The street is normally really busy with their staff but they told them on Tuesday to work from home and the street was like a ghost town.

There was meant to be a big international rugby match on this Saturday against Italy in town but they called it off last week.
              Last edited by Neris; March 5, 2020, 02:39 PM.

Comment

My wife and I went to purchase a new car today. After we settled on car's trim and options along with price we shook hands with the salesman. He had Purell on his desk (good luck finding it) I asked him to use it. We all used it.

Comment

• TheQuietOne
                  TheQuietOne commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I work with an engineer at a company in Australia. She said she's practicing her curtsy for the first time since she was a child. She said she never got to use it for the Queen but thought it would be a good substitute for handshakes.

I was in court yesterday. Nobody was shaking hands. Not even friends.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  pkadare don't go to France much? It's almost required. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see the protocol skipped these days.

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  6 months ago, the occasional person who wouldn't shake hands with people he knows was silently written off as an OCD germophobe. Today, that same person seems completely reasonable and not at all weird or unusual.

• RobertC
                  RobertC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  EdF The French Ministry of Health sent out a missive last week recommending against hand shaking "for an indeterminate period of time. " I guess they thought bises was a bridge too far. My wife is in Paris now (she couldn't delay her trip) and she says there's definitely been a curtailment. Plus, SFO and CDG airports were are empty as she'd ever seen, and the plane was half full.

I had a banquet cancel for tomorrow. 4 others canceled today.

I don’t work from home.

Comment

I work from home every once in a while, but when my kids were younger and wife didn’t work outside the home she would try to run errands when I was working at home and leave the kids. The first time was the last. Not 30 seconds after she left crying, fighting, someone’s diaper is stinky! I refused to work from home until everyone was out of the house during the day.

Comment

This from a poster of a forum I'm a member of. It has nothing to do with the virus in the forum. But a thread was created and the following was posted. This person works for the CDC. He's traveled the world with response teams to many epidemics and pandemics. So, what he's written is valid.
                    __________________________________________________ ________

First let's cover some simple facts. Coronavirus has been around and studied for a long time. Coronavirus gets its name simply because of the shape of the actual viron. So basically its shape determines the classification. It is however similar to other pandemic-like infectious agents like SARS.
                    That said, this is a new 'strain' of the coronavirus which we have not seen before in humans. That is the reason why it is labeled as Novel Coronavirus. Novel just means new.

So this virus is familiar enough to us to classify its family as coronaviridae but outside of that it is just too new to have any type of certainty of how it will behave. Plus the sample of those infected is still too small to make any wholesale predictions or recommendations.

General transmission is relatively known as person to person via water droplets produced by coughing and sneezing. Is that the only way? We don't know.

Death rates - it is changing daily, too early to call

age group breakdown - younger people are not suffering very adversely. Older <60 seem to be the most adversely affected with no deaths occurring so far from anyone under 50. Again its too early...

vaccine - typical timeline is around 1 yr. I see no reason why this would be different.

I have not seen any documentation about how long it can survive on surfaces but I suspect it is not very long or we would be seeing more evidence of that.

By comparison SARS in 2003 is probably the closest coronavirus that was widely publicized and known around the world. It infected about 8000 people and killed over 700. This coronavirus has already infected close to 100,000 and killed ~4000

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    Rubs Promo
                    Meat-Up in Memphis