Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chengdu’s Best American Barbecue: The Iron Pig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chengdu’s Best American Barbecue: The Iron Pig

The link below might be interesting to folks here. My opinion is that this is not really a restaurant, but a money-losing hobby. It's far from downtown and will close as soon as the owner gets bored with it and has to pay the rent again. Six months, twelve tops. Seen this before. However, the good part is that while it's open it'll be fantastic. It's great to get your own smoker fabricated by expert welders. It's super-cheap to do this kind of thing here, one of the benefits of putting up with all the negatives.

Is he right about Texas BBQ sauce being spicy? I thought it was vinegary, spicy is for Tex-Mex food. Also, they burn wood in their smoker? I thought wood was only for flavor. Anyway, enjoy the read.
    Recently we sat down with Justin Barrow, the proprietor of Chengdu's first authentic American smoked barbecue restaurant.

Hi,
    Just a question did you end up getting the leg of lamb? The one you posted on Henrik's BBQ leg of lamb recipe? In the next couple of days i'm gonna try it on a leg of goat - similar to lamb just a bit smaller.

Comment

• Lost in China
      Lost in China commented
      Editing a comment
      Not yet! I can't find a smoker big enough for a rack of ribs. That's my criteria, all I can find on Taobao are 14-15" smokers.

And anyway, forget that frozen leg...2 days ago one of my friends took me to the only halal butcher in town. Fresh, delicious lamb. The butcher was only too happy to slice off what we needed, and it came out great. I'll post some pics when I get the time.

Halal is better i think - i work with two Indian guys who are Muslims and they explained to me that the Halal way to slaughter animals is to keep them calm and relaxed - give them some water - avoid stressing them and praying then slit their throats in a certain way - apparently it avoids them from releasing adrenalin or something along that way...Sounds more humane than other slaughtering methods - but i could be wrong i never researched it it's what i've been told ...I've bought some camel burgers from the halal section in my local supermarket and they were awesome - so full of awesome flavour..I know!' camel ' but you know i'll try anything and they were awesome...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    Rubs Promo
    Meat-Up in Memphis