Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Facebook made me lose it

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facebook made me lose it

I was on Facebook because I use it to market my practice and saw that Meathead had posted something. I clicked on the post and learned that jerks are attacking him over an issue not worth mentioning, but basically accusing him of being a greedy profiteer. I went mental and got into the fray, which is 100% against my code on social media. But I couldn't bear it. The dude offers all his gnosis to us at no charge and meekly asks that we use his Amazon link, off which AR probably collects enough money each year to splurge on a bag of marshmallows. Anyway, it makes me thankful for this place where we are virtually free of virtue signalers and other "woke" grandstanding a-holes.

I don't have Facebook for a reason. I know about the stuff you are referring to from the other night. I checked it out through my wife's account. It just reminded me how glad I am to be here and not "out there". I could not even figure out where things were coming from. I'm insulated - my cookers aren't.

Comment

Another reason NOT to join in that BS.

Comment

I have no time for Facebook, it causes more trouble than its worth.
        If Meathead gets some kind of stipend for the work he does on this site good for him, I certainly don't work for nothing, neither should he.
        Market your practice and get off that stupid site.

Comment

I didn't read the Facebook stuff, saw some of the bs spill over into the place. It made my stomach wrench the way people were talking to Meathead he has given so much for little in return. Thank you Mr.Goldwyn. you could easily be a selfish sell out who only cares about money, but instead you give your knowledge and hard earned recipes.Free and selflessness, truly bringing people together through wonderful food!

Comment

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

Facebook is a waste of time; I put zero stock in what people say on it as it is basically The National Enquirer for my generation.

This site and all that it encompasses is pretty amazing - especially that all the knowledge is shared free of charge.

Comment

So I’m guessing you weren’t hanging out in the pit Saturday night for these fun and games:

Comment

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              Can we please let this die?

Setting the record straight: People were whining about the Weber SmokeFire and I suggested that they wait to pass judgement on it until Max, our full time grill tester, had put it through his rigorous testing regiment and take the negative posts with skepticism. We were accused of being a shill for Weber and on their payroll. That pissed me off and I defended our reputation vigorously. I used language I do not usually use and some members of THIS site objected to my language on Zuckerberg's website. I deleted the posts on FB.

I would VERY much appreciate it if this was the last comment on the subject on this website.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed Meathead enough is enough.
              Everyone please let it go.

One thing for sure is that Facebook is garbage on several levels.

Comment

I get on Facebook maybe a half dozen times a year at best. One day a couple of years ago I was home from work with the flu, so the brainiac that I am I decided to join Twitter since I had pretty much grown tired of Facebook. Wow! You talk about people losing their ever loving minds! If you think FB is full of bots and trolls, go hangout on Twitter.

Comment

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                I have sold a few things (very quickly) through my wife's Facebook account on marketplace, I think it's called. It's pretty good for that, but not enough to convince me to get back on there.

I have yet to make my first tweet from my Twitter account that I have had for several years. I only use that to follow a few people and organizations. Informational and entertainment purposes only.
                Last edited by Steve R.; February 27, 2020, 08:16 AM.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey anyone happen to know where I might purchase some fresh farm eggs?

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                Troutman Facebook?

Facebook is a place that operates mostly without "moderators". Some of the owners groups, etc. that have been set up do have an administrator or two but the moderation required to keep it civil and respectful is most times sparse to say the least. Somehow though it is taking over the space that used to be occupied by discussion forums. Only the strongest and well run forums seem to make a go of it these days.

Meanwhile I use Facebook for family stuff and the "groups" where I have an interest. I have found their Marketplace to be far superior to Craigslist for many reasons. In the "groups", I try to avoid the trolls who lay in wait to get their joy by stirring stuff up and creating noise for entertainment. I find the best approach is simply to ignore them as if they aren't there.

I delete "friends" who only use Facebook as a platform for political posts. I am tired of the daily bombardment of all that I see and hear everywhere I turn.
              Last edited by Alphonse; February 27, 2020, 02:10 PM.

Comment

I think the man asked that we let it die, let's let it die....jeeeeze.

Comment

• johnec00
                  johnec00 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +1

• Steve R.
                  Steve R. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  He was talking about the FB kerfuffle over the Smokefire. This is just a "What Grinds Your Gears? - Anti-social Media Edition."

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
                I think the man asked that we let it die, let's let it die....jeeeeze.
                It's dead AND gone! So let's change the subject, how about those Astros? ;-)

Comment

Any further opinions, smart ass remarks, and stabs at other subject matter? Hum? You guys just can't give it a rest gotta have the last smart assed remark. Fine let's keep going, I'll go toe to toe. Whose next?

Comment

• Nate
                  Nate commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Irony: griping about having the last word by trying to have the last word and bumping the thread back to the top of the list.

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OK that jocko #1, anyone else?

• Nate
                  Nate commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Again with having to have the last word... you are really wanting that last word aren’t ya? I was going to let you have it but then you called me a jocko... please explain why I’m supposed to be offended... I’ve not heard that one before.

I'm not sure what happened here with the last couple posts, but speaking of keeping Facebook-style flame wars and needless chest thumping out of here, I am closing this topic.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis